• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

colson04

My first halfa$$ driving job was when I was a mechanic at a small crane company. They had a bunch of old Dowell Schluberger trucks. The old orange and black paint scheme. Mine trusty steed was a mid 80’s corn binder, 6v92T, 13 and a 3 speed brownie. As a young man having something you HAD to hammer on was awesome! Lol. It hooked me on the old 2 strokes.

When Schlumberger bought Dowell, they acquired all of Dowell's assets, including their Driver's Training facility in Kelleyville, Oklahoma. While the Dowell orange is long gone in favor of SLB's Blue and White, they still utilize that facility today and require all personnel that will be driving for Schlumberger to attend Light, Medium, or Heavy Vehicle training depending on your job function within the company. When I was there in 2010 for LVT, they still had an old orange Dowell-SLB truck with a roll cage and 5 point harnesses installed for their skid pan training. A driver would enter the skid pan at an instructed speed and the instructor can independently lock the front or rear wheels forcing the vehicle into a spin out with the drivers objective being to control the vehicle. Every driver makes three passes, with the first pass being an intentional spin out and let it go. Pretty wild watching a bobtail tractor, spin out. They also run regular convoys for the HVT guys for training around Tulsa and to the west for 100 miles or so. Before they ever drive to a job, they've logged a couple thousand miles with an instructor around Oklahoma.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
When Schlumberger bought Dowell, they acquired all of Dowell's assets, including their Driver's Training facility in Kelleyville, Oklahoma. While the Dowell orange is long gone in favor of SLB's Blue and White, they still utilize that facility today and require all personnel that will be driving for Schlumberger to attend Light, Medium, or Heavy Vehicle training depending on your job function within the company. When I was there in 2010 for LVT, they still had an old orange Dowell-SLB truck with a roll cage and 5 point harnesses installed for their skid pan training. A driver would enter the skid pan at an instructed speed and the instructor can independently lock the front or rear wheels forcing the vehicle into a spin out with the drivers objective being to control the vehicle. Every driver makes three passes, with the first pass being an intentional spin out and let it go. Pretty wild watching a bobtail tractor, spin out. They also run regular convoys for the HVT guys for training around Tulsa and to the west for 100 miles or so. Before they ever drive to a job, they've logged a couple thousand miles with an instructor around Oklahoma.

A few months ago I was on 66 going by that very place. A new trainee in a pickup and gooseneck pulled right out in front of me....I was hauling a Watson 3100. I was NOT happy! Once we got to the four lane going into Sapulpa he got an earful and the California howdy! Haha.

colson04

A few months ago I was on 66 going by that very place. A new trainee in a pickup and gooseneck pulled right out in front of me....I was hauling a Watson 3100. I was NOT happy! Once we got to the four lane going into Sapulpa he got an earful and the California howdy! Haha.

Oh snap.

Our instructor kicked a guy out of our group on the first day. Before he made it out of the parking lot. It was evident he had no experience drivng anything.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We did a ton of drilling this year on the Turnpike from Sapulpa to almost Bristow. We used Creek County Speedway pits as a lay down yard. Those white trucks go by constantly everyday.

colson04

Slb pays big money to run that facility and are very strict about adhering to their driving standards. Even during a down turn, they don't slack on it. LVT guys get 3 days, MVT is 6 days, HVT is 13 days. That facility is operating every day of the week, except major holidays.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
One of the rougher ones still in existence, I have been keeping an eye on this one for years.

Truck Shop

View attachment 188488
That's a big truck for small drivers, I never drove a Westcoaster but got to drive an F-210? with big flat steel fenders, trying to squeeze between the steering wheel and the seat was tough and I'm not really a fat guy.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’m your everyday average size man. I drove my old 359 damn near a million miles. There were days I wanted a bigger cab! Especially leg room. Of course driving around with the seat low enough all you saw was the bill of my cap when you met me on a two lane road can’t have anything to do with it!

85 359 shorthood 400 Cat jwac, started with a 15 over. When it crapped I put an 18 in it. Jakes and a brakesaver. I swore I’d never sell it until the day I was sick of it! Haha

343F2FF4-AE08-4BBB-A23E-CA978F0233CC.jpeg

32E139C0-A563-44E6-8D76-671D136567F1.jpeg

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Of course driving around with the seat low enough all you saw was the bill of my cap when you met me on a two lane road can’t have anything to do with it!

I'm 6' tall, I always set my air seat with just enough air it is at the top of its travel so that it will go downwards if I hit a bump but otherwise stays full up and fixed.

I like to see what is going on around me.

Truck Shop

I'm 6' tall, I always set my air seat with just enough air it is at the top of its travel so that it will go downwards if I hit a bump but otherwise stays full up and fixed.

I saw what was going on around me one time along time ago-I didn't like what I saw so I stopped looking around:D

Truck Shop

crane operator

I've got about 6" on you birken, I have to ride around with the seat all the way down, otherwise I can't see out the windshield. Forget having one of those big drop visors, I wouldn't be able to see the road, let alone a traffic signal.

The crane cabs are usually too short on the steering wheel, if I put any air in the seat, there's no room for my legs. No chance of them only seeing my ball cap, even with the seat on the floor.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I’m your everyday average size man. I drove my old 359 damn near a million miles. There were days I wanted a bigger cab! Especially leg room. Of course driving around with the seat low enough all you saw was the bill of my cap when you met me on a two lane road can’t have anything to do with it!

85 359 shorthood 400 Cat jwac, started with a 15 over. When it crapped I put an 18 in it. Jakes and a brakesaver. I swore I’d never sell it until the day I was sick of it! Haha

View attachment 188548

View attachment 188549

Good looking rig. You would fit right in with the hay haulers around here. :)