• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I remember a hay hauler out of Royal City that ran auto chains on single drive Cornbinder COEs in the 80's, he loved them. Had to check them well after every trip but he liked hitting a switch and just keep going.
I do know a lady school bus driver that runs up into the Horseheaven hills (the big hill out of Prosser) that absolutely doesn't trust them, she will hang a set of outside chains if it's the least bit icy.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Most of the fire and ambulance rigs have them here. They MIGHT get used on ice MAYBE once a year IF that. I saw a set hanging funky one time grab a drain grate in a parking lot. It was quite funny.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Most of the fire and ambulance rigs have them here. They MIGHT get used on ice MAYBE once a year IF that. I saw a set hanging funky one time grab a drain grate in a parking lot. It was quite funny.
I always wondered about that sort of thing happening. I know I cant drag a chain across a screener deck without it catching at least once. :rolleyes:

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I JUST COULDN'T PASS THIS ONE UP!!! 1970 ihc fleetstrar 2000.jpg 1970 ihc fleetstar 2000   2.jpg 1970 IHC fleetstar 2000 6-71 and a 13 speed. A neighbor bought it online a few years ago. A few weeks ago (him knowing I have a bit of a 'soft spot' for this old stuff) he happened to mention he would like to sell it because he didn't use it as much as he thought he would. Then he said what he wanted for it. I said "sold" and that's was that. LOL. I do have to say that I am actually pretty impressed with how well it runs. It will run circles around our old Ford dump truck with a non turbo'd 3208. This one is kinda fun to drive.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I JUST COULDN'T PASS THIS ONE UP!!! View attachment 188895 View attachment 188897 1970 IHC fleetstar 2000 6-71 and a 13 speed. A neighbor bought it online a few years ago. A few weeks ago (him knowing I have a bit of a 'soft spot' for this old stuff) he happened to mention he would like to sell it because he didn't use it as much as he thought he would. Then he said what he wanted for it. I said "sold" and that's was that. LOL. I do have to say that I am actually pretty impressed with how well it runs. It will run circles around our old Ford dump truck with a non turbo'd 3208. This one is kinda fun to drive.

Hell yeah. I want first crack if you ever part with it!

Labparamour

I JUST COULDN'T PASS THIS ONE UP!!! 1970 IHC fleetstar 2000 6-71 and a 13 speed.

Looks in great shape.
Neighbor had a GMC with same running gear.
I also spent early career with some old KW fire engines that had their gassers replaced w/ 6-71’s.
I love their sound...the rolling idle and when at speed.
I do remember running the dump- as soon as rpm’s started to drop, they fell off quickly.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Looks in great shape.
Neighbor had a GMC with same running gear.
I also spent early career with some old KW fire engines that had their gassers replaced w/ 6-71’s.
I love their sound...the rolling idle and when at speed.
I do remember running the dump- as soon as rpm’s started to drop, they fell off quickly.
For whatever reason this truck seems to recover really well if you let the RPM's fall back a little more than some other detroits I have run. One of my customers has an old GMC dump truck with a 6v92 in it and it basically falls on it's face if dropped much below 2000 rpm's.

Labparamour

[QUOTE="Truck Shop, post: 779240,Because of the driver shortage requirements have fallen to six months and no winter experience.
Truck Shop[/QUOTE]

Winter in the northwest...
I never get comfortable with it.

Did some roadside training yesterday, though:
Northbound on Blewett, DOT still said “traction advised,” same as Snoqualmie (Snoqualmie was bare/wet).
Light snow on road but had been getting down to pavement. Had power divider locked in- spun once so figured “ain’t gonna get better going up.”
Had just hit the last stretch where the climbing lane begins so, stopped and started hanging chains.

A freightliner conventional w refer pulled past a ways and stopped.

Driver comes back and asks if I can show him how chains go on.

He watched me then I helped him pull his new chains from the sack.
Watched him hang one then left him to his own.

That’s when the plows came by...

Nice kid: late 20’s/early 30’s.
Guessing Eastern European.
He was very appreciative.

Met on the north side pulling
chains...needed a little more coaching.

Got a handshake as we parted.

Truck Shop

I have never understood why chaining up is so hard for people to understand. Most of it is just laziness I figure. People can operate a cell phone and text with their eyes shut,
win ten thousand games of Tank Warrior while texting but they can't seem to coordinate their right foot and right arm to shift a manual transmission or figure out how to
chain a set of axles. As a society we are suppose to be advancing. But are we really?

Truck Shop

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have chained up more times than I care to count and we only just did the outside of the duals. I hated every minute of it. Just have to think like Calvin's dad, builds character.

You can be assured that if I am going to chain up any more I will be well paid for it. If not then I will stay home until conditions improve. I don't have 4wd and I always have office work that needs to get done.

Truck Shop

I don't know which is worse chaining up or laying on a creeper with snow and ice scags dripping freezing water on top of your overalls while your backside of your overall legs
drag through the puddles soaking up the shop floor. The crotch area is cooled down nicely though-look like you wet yourself. Then go clean up to go home and spend 10 minutes
cleaning the sand out of your ears. All that grease and cold water on your hands makes a nice patty cake too.:D Then along comes summer and 100* heat and there is a river
running down the crack of your a$$, such is life in this business.:)

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I don't know which is worse chaining up or laying on a creeper with snow and ice scags dripping freezing water on top of your overalls while your backside of your overall legs
drag through the puddles soaking up the shop floor. The crotch area is cooled down nicely though-look like you wet yourself. Then go clean up to go home and spend 10 minutes
cleaning the sand out of your ears. All that grease and cold water on your hands makes a nice patty cake too.:D Then along comes summer and 100* heat and there is a river
running down the crack of your a$$, such is life in this business.:)

Truck Shop

As I get older... I'm really starting to hate trucks. :(

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
As a kid, I started out working on cars. Everything was small and junky.

Switching to trucks, an experienced mechanic told me "it's easier than cars, but everything you touch is heavy." I enjoyed that for a while but I echo Mike's comments above.

Switching to generators, you get into the occasional filthy shed where somebody had an exhaust leak on a diesel for months, but no more brake valve on the cross member covered in flung u-joint grease dropping sand in your eyes.

I use my creeper every couple months to change the oil on my truck.

Truck Shop

Yeah I have been stopping at the 7 Eleven six blocks from my house to get my large coffee with cream and hazelnut every day at 5:30 am for the last 22 years 7 days a week.
Morning Mike-Good morning in my growly voice. Don't you ever have a day off they will ask from time to time. No I have to have money to keep buying this expensive coffee.

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Life in the 'Fast Lane' or 'Livin the Dream' boys, we have all enjoyed these passionate moments. Soaked to the skin, frozen cold as all get out, cooked like a fresh baked loaf of bread on the other end and not much comparably soft days between while unable to shake off that grog from all too many hours at the grind most days. I wake up my hands ache, back aches, knees tell me they are STILL mad then I get up pop as much loose as can and make my own pot of coffee, four mugs from a 10 cup pot and I am Still tired and still ache. Pain meds don't do much if anything, I want to punch the TV on those ALEVE commercials, time is NOT our friend and never has been.
I still wrench, I still drive as I can, I still set fence and farm some. Blind in one eye, can barely see the other, still weld still machine parts, still hunt as I can and still enjoy my time as I am retired just NOT dead yet.