• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

That's a DC 102 TL Autocar, not many of those left. One of my favorites But he is asking way too much. That truck will need a ton of damn fine body work. I would hate to see behind
the windshield gasket, those cab's had bad problems with rot in that area. But it's still a cool old critter:). Thanks for sharing.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

Together and painted, will bolt them on tomorrow. Notice the nice paint booth:p.004 (2).JPG 005 (2).JPG

Truck Shop

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Old frame straightening shop? Very nice work and Awesome pics of the old Spartan REAL trucks.

Truck Shop

Old frame straightening shop? Very nice work and Awesome pics of the old Spartan REAL trucks.

The shop I work in was a old Cat House years ago. When they poured the floor they put rail road rail in with pockets for chaining things down and to keep the
tracks from eating up the concrete. At one time there were more D6 Cat's around here than anywhere.

Covers to protect the Zerk fittings

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The shop I work in was a old Cat House years ago. When they poured the floor they put rail road rail in with pockets for chaining things down and to keep the
tracks from eating up the concrete. At one time there were more D6 Cat's around here than anywhere.

Covers to protect the Zerk fittings

Truck Shop

The day we came down to see the tow rig, just after we left I remembered being in there when it was still Cat sometime in the 70's. Dad had some old dinosaur Cat that needed some old gizmo that they actually had in stock.
Oh... I think I just saw the tow rig westbound on I-90 post 158 about an hour ago, just got a glimpse so I may be wrong and there was no spare tractor on the lift. I was lighting a smoke and almost missed it. Bad habit.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Makes sense. We had two truck shops that had rails cast into the floors, used them for tie downs for frame straightening work. For all the good it actually did we stopped doing it and filled the gaps on the rails to floor with concrete. Nice protective measure BTW.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Makes sense. We had two truck shops that had rails cast into the floors, used them for tie downs for frame straightening work. For all the good it actually did we stopped doing it and filled the gaps on the rails to floor with concrete. Nice protective measure BTW.

I worked in a shop with I beams embedded in the floor below floor level with nice covers for them when not in use. When you wanted to jack and push on a truck or trailer it was great to have. Without the flush covers it would have been a major PITA to have open all the time.

Truck Shop

Installed them this morning, Haven't hooked up hydraulics yet going to wait for the winch and do everything at once. Besides I have to install another Prince stack valve for winch
operation. That wasn't our rig RZ it's playing hanger queen in the shop out of the rain. And that's me, the shop help said there should be a photo of me standing by it, so there it is.

Truck Shop

001 (3).JPG 003 (3).JPG 004 (3).JPG

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
It sure looked like it. But 3 weeks ago I saw a Blue frieghtshaker that was similar to yours dragging an old dirty thing. May have been the same one. Like I said... A glimpse.
Are you guys running any flat decks? saw a really top cabin B-train behind a Coronado with the grey fenders that looked a lot like your newer ones, couldn't make out the name on the door.

Truck Shop

It sure looked like it. But 3 weeks ago I saw a Blue frieghtshaker that was similar to yours dragging an old dirty thing. May have been the same one. Like I said... A glimpse.
Are you guys running any flat decks? saw a really top cabin B-train behind a Coronado with the grey fenders that looked a lot like your newer ones, couldn't make out the name on the door.

It would have to be one of our old Classics, haven't sold any Coronados yet. But in a month there will be about eight going up for sale. 550 hp DDEC IV Series 60.

Truck Shop

crane operator

So will the winch go between the tandems, or more up by the cab? I'm assuming a little boom head/ sheave mounted to the top of the lift tower?

I'm also guessing the winch is to drag a dead one out from under the trailer so you can swap tractors.

I got to use my old winch truck the other day to pull my rt out of a mean hole, so I keep dreaming about wreckers, but I haven't got myself fired up about a 2 am call on a accident/ breakdown. I just can't see myself making it to a crane job the next day if I work all night. Doesn't mean I still don't look at them. This one showed up the other day, and I thought about going and looking.

https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/d/heavy-duty-wrecker/6547205721.html

1984 Marmon heavy duty tow truck, has 400 big Cummins engine, 13 speed fuller transmission, fuller rear ends, spring suspension, 11R 24.5 tires, front tires 90%, back tires 50%, 20 ton telescope body, wheel lift, dual winch, ready to work, everything works $35,000

marmon wrecker 1.jpg marmon wrecker 2.jpg marmon wrecker 4.jpg marmon wrecker 5.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That is one truck I have no experience with, I've heard good and bad about Marmons but never actually touched one. They are good looking rigs.

Truck Shop

The winch will right behind the headache rack and the cable support sets on top of main carriage body with lift tilted down when in use. That Marmon is nice looking But if your looking
to buy one a 35 ton boom capacity is the lowest rating to buy for recovery.

Truck Shop