• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The two Earlier units(Under door steps are the absolute giveaway) are called 4070A series, the later one a 4070B. The Emeryville COE would be the winner for a restore job.
I used to have a contract welder guy that had an Emeryville CO like that with a welding bed on it, Had a 6-71 and a 400 amp Lincoln with a 2-71 Detroit. It was about 2 feet shorter than a standard longbox pickup and could squeeze into some really tight spots. Probably rode like crap though.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Been there done that!! 1974 5000 Paystar, 12V71 5x4 on Eaton 54k rears, one SINGLE 12V car battery and a IR Air Start system, had 12.00x24s(split rims) on spokes dragging a two axle jeep with the same tires. Was at the Mississippi lime quarry shops, they used it for moving the crusher plant from quarry to quarry!! Straight stacks and a helper/mechanic truck ('76 IH Fleetstar F2050)with a 6V71 also with straight stacks and ALSO had IR air starter!. Many times heard that old witch pair winding up coming up the grade out of the St.Charles hole, sometimes with me in the second truck!! I believe it ran three weeks a year the rest of the time sitting and growing dust.

Sounded wild but never broke any speed records other than for shifting Up and Down!
Used to take care of a fleet that was all air start (10 trucks) If the systems were maintained well they weren't bad. In the winter they just "jump started" with air. 185 cfm air compressor to save time. I got them to stock one of all the air valves and a spare starter, if the valves didn't leak and the starter was in good condition they always fired up. Priming a dry fuel system could be a challenge without big air.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
No doubt. These two behemoths had the mufflers on the starters removed, lead driver would shut it off at stops thru towns, try to catch the tourists too close and light them up!

When we serviced these and/or changed anything fuel would connect in a cheap electric fuel pump manually priming them up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Nice page, many would not remember or know IHC a F in front of cab series sequence meant Tandem. CO4070 or COF4070 single or tandem.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

Truck Shop

I have never seen whitewall tires like that before.

That's why I posted it, I like to post unusual trucks. It was if not the first one of the first show truck semi's ever. The inside was all diamond tuck and custom chrome.
The owner Malone let me set in the drivers seat when I saw it in 1970.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That's why I posted it, I like to post unusual trucks. It was if not the first one of the first show truck semi's ever. The inside was all diamond tuck and custom chrome.
The owner Malone let me set in the drivers seat when I saw it in 1970.
IIRC, those 20" whitewalls were just rings that were mounted between the tire bead and rim flange... I think I remember reading that somewhere. I think...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
IIRC, those 20" whitewalls were just rings that were mounted between the tire bead and rim flange... I think I remember reading that somewhere. I think...

I was going to say the same thing. I remember them as being like a flap/sidewall that you inserted before airing up the tire.

Truck Shop

Those fake white walls were called {micky's}. But I remember looking those tires over real good because at that age I thought those were Micky's. But the tires on that truck
at that time were real white walls. In those day's white walls were still popular and I suppose tire companies would do a special order unlike today. The trouble with the fakes-
micky's was air would get between them and the sidewall and bend them out-loose micky's looked like hell setting or moving.