• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

She isn't quite like the one I drew for RZ but shes real straight and in good condition

That's quite the old mack, you didn't put up the best picture, the one of the homemade crane. Looks like a 12 v winch and check out the slack adjuster rotation swing gear. Looks like the 12 v winch does boom up and down, and the winch for the block must be down in the box on the bottom. The winch line must run up the center of the rotation pipe.

Its got quite the hose reel set up on it too., and a old lincoln hiding on the other side. It was quite the truck when someone set it up.

And just because I'm not up on old mack's, what's the banjo like thing on the bottom of the exhaust stack on the passenger side? Some kind of muffler?

mack service truck homemade crane.jpgInkedmack service truck homemade crane 3_LI.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The base of that crane looks a lot like one of the old "Pacific" cranes built in Seattle in the 60's and 70's, Original models did not have that much boom, and only a winch to lift. Boom elevation and was a manual operation. The few I've seen only had 4-5' booms.
The spiral exhaust attachment is an old school spark arrestor.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Now that is worth the cash!!

The spark arrester is well worth the money and ugliness, AHEM, I set the dyno exhaust hood at Mack St. Louis afire with a brute as this in 1977. Don't ask how.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Now that is worth the cash!!

The spark arrester is well worth the money and ugliness, AHEM, I set the dyno exhaust hood at Mack St. Louis afire with a brute as this in 1977. Don't ask how.
The US Forest Circus required a spark arrestor on unmuffled trucks, In the day this old Mack probably had a straight pipe exhaust from the factory, the early Schwitzer turbos I've seen on older Macks were labeled "Noise Abatement Device" Those trucks had no muffler.

Truck Shop

Oh I posted the best picture alright, that crap behind the cab would be in a scrap yard real fast. :) Earth moving equipment should be moved to a shop for all service needs. :cool:
Especially D10's, mega scrapers and the largest track hoe's.:D

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Oh I posted the best picture alright, that crap behind the cab would be in a scrap yard real fast. :) Earth moving equipment should be moved to a shop for all service needs. :cool:
Especially D10's, mega scrapers and the largest track hoe's.:D

Truck Shop

Yep, just run it up on the Donahue behind a 1 ton Dodge and make a quick trip to the shop.:rolleyes::D

Truck Shop

Well according to Guts, Glory, Ram owners and by the ads on tv those dodges will tow anything. Those are monster trucks you know.:D

Truck Shop

Old Doug

Theirs a guy selling off some of his Grandpaws stuff that i did alot of work for years ago. He has a GMC crakerbox single axle 6 71 with a5and a 2 speed and a Freightliner 70s with a 6v92 13 speed that i would like to have but i need to down size so i am staying far away from him and his Grandpaws piace.

Truck Shop

Shoot, that old mack has dreams of a fleet of twin engine euclids with some two stroke noise to take care of. 10 or 12 on a highway cut would be just about right.

Well the first thing I would do is disconnect the batteries and stop those nightmares :). She would look good with twin 6"X7'6" stacks, D-Cool visor, chrome not aluminum wheels.
Chrome radiator shell, twin Grover horns and bus lights. Painted Gloss Black setting in a park with two nice young ladies polishing on her:D. How's that for dreaming.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Well the first thing I would do is disconnect the batteries and stop those nightmares :). She would look good with twin 6"X7'6" stacks, D-Cool visor, chrome not aluminum wheels.
Chrome radiator shell, twin Grover horns and bus lights. Painted Gloss Black setting in a park with two nice young ladies polishing on her:D. How's that for dreami

Truck Shop

I have to agree with this...

jim-in-so-ore

If you look at craigslist/medford oregon you will find a whole bunch of Bob Jacks equipment,that Mack water truck, the Western Star and many many more. It is all listed with a landline number and says Jacksonville. He was a logger here in the Rogue Valley. One weekend all of his log trucks were fire bombed, this was late 70s or early to mid 80s. After that they got into hauling freight, lumber and related stuff. We had a lot of extreme greenies doing that kind of stuff around here at that time I don't remember if any one was ever caught. I'd like to go over there and just wander through all of that old iron just for grins.

Jim

Truck Shop

I was through there in the early 90's on a motorcycle trip and I think I had seen those rigs before. Most of my bike trips were spent looking for old critter trucks.

Truck Shop