• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Those fake white walls were called {micky's}. But I remember looking those tires over real good because at that age I thought those were Micky's. But the tires on that truck
at that time were real white walls. In those day's white walls were still popular and I suppose tire companies would do a special order unlike today. The trouble with the fakes-
micky's was air would get between them and the sidewall and bend them out-loose micky's looked like hell setting or moving.
I'm sure the fakes could have been bonded on at the factory by special order. Probably much easier than making a custom white wall. Just barnstorming.
I remember in high school, a buddy's father was a Bandag rep and he claimed they would cap anything including my dirt bike tires.

Crummy

There was a guy here that built old school street rods (we called him "Surfer Bruce") & he'd put the 'ol BFG TA raised white letter tires in a big lathe and turn them into fatty whitewalls.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I do not believe I would cut a sidewall on a lathe, there is a certain engineered level of thickness I would exact to keep!! To each his own.

Truck Shop

Well I did some checking with some Mack collectors and they don't know what the 85U stands for in the serial number but it was the first one made of that model. They
will run it through Mack archives to find out. Chassis # 85-US-1001--85U

030.JPG

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I do not believe I would cut a sidewall on a lathe, there is a certain engineered level of thickness I would exact to keep!! To each his own.
You don't even have to do that... My F-250 has 35" tires with white letters, the former owner curbed the right front so many times it turned whitewall. I have since turned ALL the tires black side out. If those stupid big tires weren't almost perfect new they would be gone for tires 2 sizes smaller. Tire dealer wont give me crap for a trade in because of the messed up sidewalls.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When I worked for Mack in the 70's the Cities surrounding generally had a few Bulldog fire trucks, B cabs, R cabs even the lowly low cab forwards but as to each they were all Unique in equipment, layouts, specs, could have two delivered same day and be as different as night and day, just so Wrong!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Steel on steel in the tube or adding slip pads? Most of the outriggers on the machines I worked had glide pads in them.

Who formed the tube halves for you?

Truck Shop

Steel on steel in the tube or adding slip pads? Most of the outriggers on the machines I worked had glide pads in them.

Who formed the tube halves for you?

Local machine shop and friend of mine formed them. There set up with only a 1/16 gap to keep them straight on full extension. When I need metal formed or info Precision Machine
is the only place I go. He and his dad built the first automated grape harvesters under the name Pic Ryte. They also manufactured pea and bean harvesters, shipped them all over
the U.S. They built tons of these stiff legs for a variety of different machines through the years. But these I designed myself because of the custom fit to the tow truck.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Local machine shop and friend of mine formed them. There set up with only a 1/16 gap to keep them straight on full extension. When I need metal formed or info Precision Machine
is the only place I go. He and his dad built the first automated grape harvesters under the name Pic Ryte. They also manufactured pea and bean harvesters, shipped them all over
the U.S. They built tons of these stiff legs for a variety of different machines through the years. But these I designed myself because of the custom fit to the tow truck.

Truck Shop
Last week I welded the tandem pivot back into a Pick-Rite Poo flinger... wasn't sure if it was theirs or somebody else. Judging by the spelling it's not theirs.

Truck Shop

Last week I welded the tandem pivot back into a Pick-Rite Poo flinger... wasn't sure if it was theirs or somebody else. Judging by the spelling it's not theirs.[/QUOTE

I think Jim told me there were three different companies that used that name just different spelling.

Truck Shop