• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
So how many of these owners would be cool with you bringing some interested lookie-loos by to see this stuff up close? Lotta stuff there I would like to see... And well, my F250 can seat 5 or 6. :)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
What engine, 1160 or whatever V8? Hard to imagine a big 6 in that engine compartment with that short (low) hood but I have never looked at one of those up close.
Every one of those Fords I've seen had an 1160 in it. I have replaced an 1160 in one with a 32Y 3208 made a nice farm truck.

Truck Shop

I couldn't keep the hood up and take a picture at the same time but the mixer had what looked like a small inline six cylinder Cat. I don't think any of the owners would care, the one place with the star is a
real dump.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
So I was working in the office last evening, and the movie Maximum Overdrive was on the tv. I was not really paying attention to it until I noticed there are quite a few older trucks used in it.. Old macks, freightliners, IH. I finally had to look at what year it was made. 1986, yes the movie is pretty bad, but it does have some cool old trucks in it.
Kind of like watching smokey and the bandit for the trucks.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
So I was working in the office last evening, and the movie Maximum Overdrive was on the tv. I was not really paying attention to it until I noticed there are quite a few older trucks used in it.. Old macks, freightliners,
Kind of like watching smokey and the bandit for the trucks.
Every once in awhile I watch those movies for the same reason (old trucks). The Road Warrior is a good one too (Air start in the middle of nowhere?)

Truck Shop

Now for the rest of my finds. The red and white 4070 Int is 8v71, the orange 4000 is Cummins aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd the red and black 4090 Int is
12v71 with SSHD's on 46,000 lb walking beam. That's an odd ball, she wasn't a Corn Queen to mess with in her day.

003 (2).JPG 001 (2).JPG 005 (2).JPG 004 (2).JPG

Truck Shop

Detroit's laying everywhere one train car had several laying inside with fresh paint-been there for years. There's a truck under those berry bushes, don't know what it is.007 (2).JPG 006 (2).JPG 002 (2).JPG 009 (2).JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Giant Aluminum boat anchors with steel doors and most only 45 degree cab lifts. DD's makes even more fun to play in them. Get up too early be REALLY groggy as arrive at the Corn Queen, unlock and open door, insert hand, slam door at LEAST three times, pull bleeding stub up the grab handles, miss the door step and bust a shin, ALMOST ready to roll!! Start the smoker, let it warm slightly, get a good sip of hot coffee burn your lip NOW are ready to slam and shift!!
If it Don't run Paint it Red, Still won't run Chrome it. Too fast for the Field, Too slow for the Road, GO International!!

Can STILL remember when PIE (Pig Iron Express) In SLC got a delivery of NEW K100 KW's with 12V's in them, yard man hooked them up to triple sets and let them warm for the initial run, the first two did not make the yard gate when they turned and a trailer corner knocked the air compressors off, The remaining units sat for two weeks as the engineers did the math and stretched frames by a foot while moving the fixed fifth wheels back four inches. Was a Great Day for PIE!!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Now for the rest of my finds. The red and white 4070 Int is 8v71, the orange 4000 is Cummins aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd the red and black 4090 Int is
12v71 with SSHD's on 46,000 lb walking beam. That's an odd ball, she wasn't a Corn Queen to mess with in her day.

View attachment 178862 View attachment 178863 View attachment 178864 View attachment 178865
Of course I like the one with the 12V71... But the orange one is a really early model... possibly mid 60's. Check out the cab markers and vents. The lower cab trim is another giveaway... Not sure, but I think the chrome grille and bumper are from a newer truck. She's old but straight.

Truck Shop

That orange one is a 69 the red and white a 75 and the red and black a 77 the yellow and green is a 64.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The two Earlier units(Under door steps are the absolute giveaway) are called 4070A series, the later one a 4070B. The Emeryville COE would be the winner for a restore job.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I can still remember cussing the Cornbinder engineers back in the 70"s when I worked for the Detroit shop. It seemed if there was a way to design something so it could not be reached easily, they figured it out. The older COE ones with the little running board above the tire were the worst.

Truck Shop

The two Earlier units(Under door steps are the absolute giveaway) are called 4070A series, the later one a 4070B. The Emeryville COE would be the winner for a restore job.

The later red and black one is not a 4070B. That model is a 4090 designating big power and heavy specs.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Needs an exhaust hood!! All that loose fuel in there could cause a runaway! And that would be a 4070A cab.

Had two customers years ago with 8V71T 350hp engines 4070B 1975 units. Dead of summer 102 in the shade with no shade and the trucks fresh off the road they would STILL smoke like that!! One had such a bad cooling system management that we would see it when WE Bond would notice it eating coolant or growing oil. Pull the heads, pull the cylinder kits, cork the block water jacket holes and filled with a mix of alcohol and water, find the burn through holes in the sleeve bores, drill, tap and nickel rod with epoxy then rehone and retry the test until caught them all.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Giant Aluminum boat anchors with steel doors and most only 45 degree cab lifts. DD's makes even more fun to play in them. Get up too early be REALLY groggy as arrive at the Corn Queen, unlock and open door, insert hand, slam door at LEAST three times, pull bleeding stub up the grab handles, miss the door step and bust a shin, ALMOST ready to roll!! Start the smoker, let it warm slightly, get a good sip of hot coffee burn your lip NOW are ready to slam and shift!!
If it Don't run Paint it Red, Still won't run Chrome it. Too fast for the Field, Too slow for the Road, GO International!!

Can STILL remember when PIE (Pig Iron Express) In SLC got a delivery of NEW K100 KW's with 12V's in them, yard man hooked them up to triple sets and let them warm for the initial run, the first two did not make the yard gate when they turned and a trailer corner knocked the air compressors off, The remaining units sat for two weeks as the engineers did the math and stretched frames by a foot while moving the fixed fifth wheels back four inches. Was a Great Day for PIE!!

The only thing that would be more fun than an old IH with a Detroit, would be an old IH with a Detroit and spoke wheels and air start. :D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been there done that!! 1974 5000 Paystar, 12V71 5x4 on Eaton 54k rears, one SINGLE 12V car battery and a IR Air Start system, had 12.00x24s(split rims) on spokes dragging a two axle jeep with the same tires. Was at the Mississippi lime quarry shops, they used it for moving the crusher plant from quarry to quarry!! Straight stacks and a helper/mechanic truck ('76 IH Fleetstar F2050)with a 6V71 also with straight stacks and ALSO had IR air starter!. Many times heard that old witch pair winding up coming up the grade out of the St.Charles hole, sometimes with me in the second truck!! I believe it ran three weeks a year the rest of the time sitting and growing dust.

Sounded wild but never broke any speed records other than for shifting Up and Down!