• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

crane operator

Then is not a '77, L10 was not developed until '82, sounds as has a Invalid Title!!!

Someone's going to have a shock when they come across the two mid 70's groves that have late 90's 8.3 cummins in them also.

I was really hot to trot on the old Yellow Freight truck, you guys have talked me out of it. Thanks.

Where's the digger truck at truckshop? If I can't have the Yellow Freight, I got options....

crane operator

Its chevrolet week!

Was at a auction yesterday and walked out without these two. Planetary drive, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer. 6.2 gm diesels. (what a dog those 6.2's were) One had a old reed digger, and the other one they had planned to put a snowplow on but never got around to it (local college owned them). They were military surplus airplane pushers I think.

The guys at the college said they could run about 20mph down the road, and were a little squirrelly with the rear steer. Especially the short wheelbase digger truck. 12.0020's on the white one, 8.25's on the digger. The 12.00's were a little tall, they had kind of dug into the front quarter panel on the drivers side.
IMG_0931.JPG IMG_0932.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can see that old SA Tractor revised to a Small Dump truck pretty efficiently. As to the Square Bodies, re-axle? Lose the Iron front ends, and sell the digger then Re-axle to Usable or sell for parts as Cabs and Frames. Axles are unique and likely Obsolete.

crane operator

A perfect one for Spud.
It sure would help with getting stuff up and down his hill. It would stink for most anyone else, oversize permit everywhere you want to go. Not easy to find rubber for either.

Those gov't trucks look like a lot of new alcoa rims, maybe they had all 20" rubber on them and whoever bought them at auction changed them over?

crane operator

As to the Square Bodies, re-axle? Lose the Iron front ends, and sell the digger then Re-axle to Usable or sell for parts as Cabs and Frames. Axles are unique and likely Obsolete.
I don't know where the axles came from, the mounting of the flatbed was kinda on the primitive side. Welded right in place..

Suspension didn't look like it offered a lot of travel or much of a cushy ride either.

IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0930.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Chances are the OE Rails are fubar as well so pretty well parts machines, decent enough square bodies people give GOOD money for.

colson04

First class 8 truck I ever drove was an '85 L9000 with a 6v92 and a 9 speed. With the 9ft spread on the lift axle, we could legally haul 800 bushel on a straight truck. Only truck I have driven that I had to use low to get it moving, no matter where I was starting from. She ran plenty strong for our needs, though not a fast rig. We used to haul our beans an hour away to Zeeland and got passed by everything on the highway. We would probably still be running it, but rust jacking cracked the frame and my grandpa wasn't about to re-frame that truck. After 19 years of owning it, my grandpa was ready for something newer, quieter, and less frustrating to drive.