• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

No I've seen enough.

Not me-I think those need to be shortened up, Move those drive axles right behind the cab. Br great for pulling a tag trailer too
for those super tight spots in cities and suburbs moving that monster toro dingo around.:D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would almost betcha, Still hate dealing with them as had a 16V92 at the nuke on a Back Up building generator, Screamin ME ME'S

skyking1

I had an 8v92 about 4' behind me on the little dredge in Tacoma. Earplugs plus earmuffs and I know I gave up some of my hearing to that bastige.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I kind of miss those Detroits. Almost everything we had at the sand and stone plants back in the 80's, was powered by a Detroit. They were easy to rebuild, and parts were cheap. Loud for sure.
Jeff

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Owned a 8v92, never again, not certain would buy anything with Det Dsl on it.
Gave up counting the number of driptroits I ended up working on

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In the midwest states any livestock body or trailer we call a ‘Bull Rack’
Some still call them ‘Pots’ for most being potbellied or low slung.
Are still a minimal few late 50’s early 60’s started off in life as flatbeds had sides and air/tarp racks added which makes them short sided but awkward to load or offload as floor is so tall, both in straight trucks or trailers. Trying to get multi duty from the original trucks or trailers but not lending well to manure then grains or hay or packaged feeds or supplies without considerable time effort and materials for disassembling/reassembling and cleaning.

Truck Shop

The term bull wagon was used because it sounded tougher than calling it a cattle truck, you can't drive a bull wagon unless you have
the proper attire. George Straight cut jeans, pearl snaps and yoked shirt, boots with chrome pointy toes, kerchief and a high crown hat
with Stampede Strings.

colson04

Robert Vannatta did this write up in the very early days of the internet. This is how the web used to look. I think he may have come on this forum a time or two.

http://www.vannattabros.com/truck.html

well, I didn't need to waste 20 minutes this morning, but I sure did. I enjoyed reading about his experience with the M911 and saved his site for some more rainy day reading later.