• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I know a guy that has one and he says he will never be without it. Being able to push and pull would be darn handy in certain situations. Pros and cons to everything!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've had three trucks with the Autocranes. If my controls are on a cable I'd rather have that than a juice crane. One of my compatriots has the radio control on his juicer and I'm afraid I might like that better.

I will say you don't want to do a whole lot of lifting just on the batteries with the electric unit unless you park the truck on a down hill slope.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I liked the cabled remote on a juice crane better than my wireless setup I have now. The deadman switch on the wired remote was where I had the finesse where my wireless remote it's in the little joysticks. I'm just not as smooth with it for some reason. Not having to drag the cable into a hole on a machine is sure handy though!

I've been pondering a way to keep an eye on voltage so I don't leave myself dead in the water. It won't get used a lot so hopefully I don't ever have that issue.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I only killed the truck battery once. I had a good idea of what I could do after that and it never happened again. The big thing I didn't like about the hydros was booming down. The units I was around just had a hand valve on the cylinder. You could set it up for a heavy load and then wait forever when putting the boom down with no load. The AutoCrane was precise.

I'll be waiting for the photos of when you get done with the build up.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Don't hold your breath! It's hard to say how long it'll take. I may stick it in the shop this weekend and start some of the paint prep and at least get the worst areas touched up. I think the next thing I'll address is the frame so I can build and install the welder deck.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So today was what I call busy work. Grease machines, look them over for issues and try to be proactive. I spent the better part of a day crawling all over a Watson 3100. Piddly leaks, hoses rubbing, grease it, check gearboxes etc. While greasing the head shives, kelly swivel etc I noticed the kelly swivel pin just about to fall out. I got my handy dandy often made fun of 500# chain hoist and got some slack in the cable. If you're not careful that sucker with $hitwhip you before you know it!

Once tension was off I removed the screw in pin by hand. No thread lock on it. Cleaned it all up, liberal dose of loctie and reversed disassembly. It was about 1-1/2 turns from falling out.

IMG_9830.JPG IMG_9831.JPG IMG_9833.JPG IMG_9834.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The three Watson 3100's we have are by far the dirtiest machines to work on. You get grease on you by looking at one. They serve a purpose though. The smaller 2500's aren't quite as bad but they leak and ooze stuff just the same.

Losing the bars down a hole sucks. A man getting hit by them would REALLY suck. There's no power down on them. Gravity and a foot brake so it's kind of jerky even with the smoothest operators we have. Wouldn't be the first set we've fished out of a hole. Generally they don't drill the really deep holes anymore, the IMT's do those these days.

hillbillywrench

Great thread! Finally got it all read. I lived in Stillwater area for 9 years, but now I work for a farm a little southeast of Joplin. We've got some fields in Duenweg, but most are scattered southeast of there for about sixty miles. I hope I don't get in your way on the road sometime (I'm usually 17' wide and 25 mph!)
I can only dream of a service truck and crane. My truck has a bed full of tools and a cab full of more tools with a spot almost big enough to sit and drive, and a 1000# HF manual hoist on a bed corner. It ain't much, but it's what I gots.
The Cummins that scattered reminded me of the time I watched a 3406 irrigation motor spit a rod out the side. Bang bang bang,THUNK, then silence. "Hey, we don't have to pull the dipstick to check the oil, just look in this new inspection port."
I hope your wife's health issues get resolved soon. Lots of people praying.
Thanks for starting/updating this thread.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Great thread! Finally got it all read. I lived in Stillwater area for 9 years, but now I work for a farm a little southeast of Joplin. We've got some fields in Duenweg, but most are scattered southeast of there for about sixty miles. I hope I don't get in your way on the road sometime (I'm usually 17' wide and 25 mph!)
I can only dream of a service truck and crane. My truck has a bed full of tools and a cab full of more tools with a spot almost big enough to sit and drive, and a 1000# HF manual hoist on a bed corner. It ain't much, but it's what I gots.
The Cummins that scattered reminded me of the time I watched a 3406 irrigation motor spit a rod out the side. Bang bang bang,THUNK, then silence. "Hey, we don't have to pull the dipstick to check the oil, just look in this new inspection port."
I hope your wife's health issues get resolved soon. Lots of people praying.
Thanks for starting/updating this thread.

Glad you like it. I'd give anything to farm again. She's tryin. Some good days, some bad. I can't help but think all the positive thoughts and prayers are helping her. We've got a ways to go.

hillbillywrench

I've left two REALLY good jobs to go stir dirt. I don't get to work much ground anymore. I'm sort of foreman, mechanic, trainer, janitor, plumber, electrician, carpenter, and shoveler. My seat time is mostly planting and combining. We're starting to work ground and gearing up to plant corn. I get some slow time in Dec., Jan., and early Feb. then i'm busy as a "one-armed paper hanger" until the last soybean gets put in the bin.
Some days I wonder why I left Tool-and-Die work and Electronics work, but then I hit a sunny, 70° day doing work that I love (outside) and I'm happy.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've left two REALLY good jobs to go stir dirt. I don't get to work much ground anymore. I'm sort of foreman, mechanic, trainer, janitor, plumber, electrician, carpenter, and shoveler. My seat time is mostly planting and combining. We're starting to work ground and gearing up to plant corn. I get some slow time in Dec., Jan., and early Feb. then i'm busy as a "one-armed paper hanger" until the last soybean gets put in the bin.
Some days I wonder why I left Tool-and-Die work and Electronics work, but then I hit a sunny, 70° day doing work that I love (outside) and I'm happy.

I helped run a farm from 98/99-2009. Loved every minute of it. I'd be happy to come help if you get short handed!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Let's see here....was supposed to be off all week as I'm on full dad duty. Yeah that $hit didn't happen! Haha. Moved a rig Monday, managed to have most of yesterday off. Moved a rig today. Headed to Joplin tomorrow to organize and send back extra IMT parts and hopefully install my new drawers while I'm there.

Have not touched the beater service truck. I have paint for the wheels, gonna go flat black and throw some chrome caps and lug covers on it. I'll see what I can do to fix the missing paint. Going to "attempt" to clean up and spray bomb the bad part of the cab and see if I can blend it in worth a flip.

I'm about to sell or part out that 05 KW I have so I'm half tempted to stick that 18 speed in the beater. The trans in it now doesn't have a bit of synchronizer left on any gear. Need to make sure truck is not super tall geared, not sure if the 10 speed in it is a direct or over. I think I've got enough chrome exhaust parts to stick a decent looking straight pipe on it. Better seats from the KW as well. It'll be a process!

I'm alive and well going in 10 different directions at any given moment.

crane operator

20180313_171247.jpg See, I've been thinking about your old international, frame issues, and I think I've got a little upgrade/ fabbing solution. It would be more work than I'd want, but I'm sick of it setting in my yard.

I've got a frame, suspension and transmission. You'd have all the ground clearance you'd ever need. It would probably be a little slow. L10 and your cab and service body on the military frame and suspension.

Only had 29,000 miles on it when I stole the 8.3 out of it. Of course this is all just to get it out of my yard and into yours....:)

6x6- you could get to any nasty old mudhole to work on broken down stuff, no need for them to take it to a dry shop!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Hey man that's an idea! My buddy has the full cab version. It'll do 65 pretty easy. To heck with that L10 let's throw the 8v71 in it! I bet the full cabs can be had at auction. Do you have a title? I did a side job Monday I dang near needed that truck to get back to it!