• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm hangin in there. Seems quite strange to be home alone in a house that normally has 6 or 7 people in it. Sounds like my folks may come by later and help clean some so I don't have as much to do before Angela comes home. For the last 4-6 weeks I've been spread pretty thin between working, trying to take care of the kids, taking care of the wife and making a feeble attempt at keeping the house clean. There's only so much this poor steering wheel holder/wrench bender can do!

I've been working close to home for a month now and it's sure been a blessing with all the other stuff going on. Heck I haven't seen Joplin shop in a month. They send me what I need as they move tools etc back and forth to the site.

I haven't had a chew for a couple days either. Think I'll have one now....

Take care everybody and thanks for the support!

Howey75

Hopefully you didn’t get the strain of flu like I had.Took me 2 an half weeks to pull outa it completely!Get wellsoon.Lookin forward to the service truck pics

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I feel like a new man. Little weak yet but not bad.

Don't hype the service truck up too much! She's ugly but well worth what I paid.

I've got several days moving rigs and the hammer first part of the week and then hopefully I can get the transmission back in the IMT. Heck I've probably got a days worth of paperwork to catch up on as well.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
What a week. Nasty muddy mess and if it wasn't mud it was sleet and ice. A week of steady rain, sleet and ice has set us back considerably on all fronts. Looks like it will finally dry out a bit. I'm behind on work as I can't even get into the drop yard!

On another note, wife is home and we finally know the root cause. Her thyroid was so low it wasn't even registering when they tested therefore her body had begun to shut down. As in the way it does when you've got one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. The Dr said several times he didn't know why her heart didn't just quit with her existing issues on top of the thyroid. Scary stuff. It's going to take months to get her levels back up and the strange thing is just a few months ago her thyroid tested fairly close to normal so they're going to see if they can figure out why there was a sudden drop.

I'll see if I can't get into something worth taking pics of or make another video now that things have calmed down slightly.....

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Send some of that rain our way and lots of it to it's just been cold here for us they keep saying rain but it just moves on glad to hear the wife is doing better and they figured it out I was hoping my package would get there this week but with weather they said it might take a little longer keepon trucking

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Send some of that rain our way and lots of it to it's just been cold here for us they keep saying rain but it just moves on glad to hear the wife is doing better and they figured it out I was hoping my package would get there this week but with weather they said it might take a little longer keepon trucking

You can have all you want! Lol. We are so busy it really backed us up work wise. I went to a substation in KS Wednesday and loaded a rig. Went to leave Thursday and the county roads were so bad I left the rig. SOLID ice for 5-6 miles. Not worth even trying. Beautiful sunny day today though. Yesterday afternoon wasn't bad either. The boys and I went to the shop for a few hours and piddled around. I may go back today and work on my ugly service truck lol.

I'm torn between fixin the truck it's on, buying a new chassis and one idea I had was cutting it off behind the cab and building a trailer out of it. We shall see!

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
I have liked the idea of a service trailer, but am concerned that I'd be more likely to leave it somewhere remote, and then some b---#%* would break into it or tow it away.

Warm regards from over here, it's tough enough when someone is not well without having to deal with winter weather and mud and greyness, it's enough to wear you out hey. Hope it all brightens up for you and yours soon.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've considered that too. It would be rare for it to sit somewhere longer than it takes me to chase parts or something. Just trying to keep from owning a fleet of vehicles if I can avoid it! I'm due for a newer pickup so that has me considering the trailer route.

That's for the positive vibes!

crane operator

Prayers for the wife, its not easy. Its hard to keep the attitude right when you don't feel well and are always at the doctor.

I don't think I'd do the trailer, its such a pain if its muddy or crowded jobsite etc. We were pulling a gooseneck trailer all the time with a pickup as a rigging/support truck for my 70 ton. We got the ford f-450 set up for that now, and its so much handier. It is a extra set of plates and insurance, but it saves hooking and unhooking the trailer, and never having room to park it, etc.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Let's see where am I at work wise.....got the transmission back in the IMT rotary Monday. Spent the rest of the week shuffling rigs around. Hauled the new 190 IMT for the first time today. Spent some time looking it over, freakin DEF tank on it. Grrrr. A few filters match the 180's and a few new ones. We are slammed busy. Owner says we've got the most work contracted ever in his 30 some odd years of business.

My mom likes to go to estate sales. She brought me a handful of wrenches. One Snap On 3/4 date coded 1964. One was a craftsman open end with 11/16 and 19/32. Don't see too many 19/32!

The one pic of the crate doesn't look like much....there's over $20,000 worth of parts in there!

IMG_9790.JPG IMG_9791.JPG IMG_9792.JPG

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I still have a 19/32 combination wrench that dad bought when I was a younger teenager. He needed it when we rebuilt the old D2. We install a clutch and put new bearings in the engine, along with new rails and weld on sprocket rings. I don't remember what bolts it fit though.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Do not have them anymore, any of you remember the British Standard Wrenches? I had from 1/4" to 1", they fit NOTHING but OLD British cars, motorcycles and trucks. 1981 had my first, only and last tune up on a 1951 Bentley, old British man brought it from UK to here to travel in as he was 'Accustomed' to it. Had all the pieces from Bentley to perform the tune, had all his own tools "In the Boot". Took a little time as you REBUILT the spark plugs re-using the threaded cup porcelain retainer and replaced the contacts on the points assembly. Was quite a experience, learned a lot of the custom hand made British cars that day, never saw the old Gent again.

Reactions: DB2

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A very good friend of mine, a mentor if you will, has always worked on older British stuff. Mainly Jags. There's a whole drawer in his box full of the funky British wrenches. We didn't use them very often but when you needed them you needed them. Boot and bonnet :)

Knowing a bit about British stuff (Lucas Electronics in this case) you might get a chuckle of out a joke the British car collectors always tell. You know why the brits like their beer warm? All their fridges are made by Lucas!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My damned 1975 AC 180 diesel has a Lucas starter, ignorant.

I helped two neighbors one with MG B's(5) the other with two old XK E's, stupid side draft carbs were ALWAYS hosed up, had a sleeve valve like the crotch rocket carbs and the old Harley CV carbs but not near as nice to get set and balanced. Had four vacuum gauges on a support frame just to set those rotten bastards with, seemed like monthly. Can look in a box and see a wrench size without seeing the US measure on the side, can almost do that metric anymore, never ever could do that with British Standard. Another bud bought a Bentley with a roots blower sticking out the front on the end of the crankshaft, 1920's or 30's collector car. I never put a wrench to that monster, last I heard he had sent the engine block to GB for a main and rod bearing RE-Pour, not shells, poured Babbitt, ICK!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If you have the right setup to set side drafts it's not bad at all. In high school I had a 280Z with triple Webbers on it. Added a header, swapped in a truck 5 speed and a 3.90 rear gear. Wasn't a 5.0 mustang that could hang unless they has made some mods to theirs. Outhandled them all. Obviously a 280Z isn't British but I learned those side drafts quite well.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Zeniths and Strombergs on the Brit machines, SUCKED butt. I believe Adam replaced the Zeniths on one MG with Webers.