• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Dang, 6 more weeks of winter!;)

Love the pics...reminds me of tagging along with my dad and making trips taking my son, too.

You have a good lookin’ family!
Thanks for sharing.

Darryl

Thank you. I'm certainly blessed in that department. My girls would probably scold me if I put their pics up here! They don't show much interest in this stuff although my daughter Alex knows more than she lets on.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We've had 4-5 days of lousy weather. Today is nice it just started off cold. 27 I think when I left the shop. Up to 42 now with little wind so it's a nice day!

StanRUS

We've had 4-5 days of lousy weather. Today is nice it just started off cold. 27 I think when I left the shop. Up to 42 now with little wind so it's a nice day!
Getting a bit warm-ish going to hit low 90s in a couple of days...F-cold!
Manufacturing more housing = more F-traffic and F-people.
Last of the G series 57s

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Getting a bit warm-ish going to hit low 90s in a couple of days...F-cold!
Manufacturing more housing = more F-traffic and F-people.
Last of the G series 57s
I watched that the other day so that is it for the g series any talk of them putting out another series

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That video with Cash and the Pete makes me glad we have hills and curves in our roads! Do they actually bother with speed limits on a road as straight and flat as that?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We've got hills and curves too lol, that just happened to be a nice straight flat part of US400 in Ks. Easy video territory. Yep gotta have speed limits so they can write tickets! 65 there, I usually set the cruise about 70. We're back to funky weather. Had a little dusting of snow and about 10 minutes ago an earthquake lol. Lasted maybe 30 seconds, not real strong this time. Nothing fell it just rattled the blinds and stuff like that. Crazy

hvy 1ton

I got in argument with my dad years ago. I told him he needed to go west on US 400. He tells me it doesn't exist. I tell him i'm looking at a sign for it. He tells me he's looking at his road atlas of KS and there is no US 400 and there is no highways west out of Wichita. He bought a GPS not too long after that.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Went to give a 3100 a once over today. Pulled up to a nice big puddle of hydraulic oil. Damn swivel finally gave up and started leaking whether it was running or not. So I got to pull, reseal, install and test today. Had to be done since I have haul truck obligations tomorrow and Thursday. Took a quick video of booming it up. They're kinda tricky. Winch brakes stick, you can two block the kelly or the service winch. Booming down and hoisting up can be fun if you inadvertently engage both winch drives. It'll break cables before you can even think to say oh $hit!!

No power down, just gravity so the kelly bars drop jerky. I may do a control video, foot brakes for the winches, air controls for winch up. We swap brake pedals service for kelly since most of our old hands are used to the way the LDH drills were. I'll post swivel pics next. It's not in great shape....

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
External leakage on swivel. Only two functions pass through, track drive and tilt cylinders. Once I pulled it apart I wasn't real thrilled with it. Called Watson to see what a new one would cost....they haven't ordered one for stock since 2007 and it was $12,000 back then! So this one got rebuilt. It's had some trash pass through. Thankfully most of the damage was not on sealing surfaces. 8 hours start to finish ain't bad.

IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0087.JPG

dirty4fun

That must not be your first one to tear apart, sure looks like it would take more than 8 hours to repair. Thanks for sharing, I sure enjoy seeing machines that I have never had the opportunity to be around.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Junkyard, 8 hours start to finish ain't bad, it's excellent is what it is. Blokes like you keep the world running mate.

As a machine owner driver that does most of my own repairs, a puddle of hydraulic oil under the machine in the morning gives me horrible sinking feeling in the gut, quite often followed by some swearing and bad thoughts of despair. This stage of the repair process can add a few hours/days to the hrs you mentioned.

Once you get stuck in, it's amazing what can be accomplished!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Thanks guys.

I did have some help. They sent me the seal kit and I made Don stay and help me. I knew it needed to be finished when I left. While I stuck all the seals on the spool he resealed the barrel. It helped having extra hands for the mount bolts too. Can't be in the belly and under holding a wrench on the nuts at the same time! We were lucky in that everything came apart and went together about as good as you'd expect. It's going to a job that one of the owners is on.....sure hope we didn't miss anything! We'd never hear the end of it!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Junkyard, 8 hours start to finish ain't bad, it's excellent is what it is. Blokes like you keep the world running mate.

As a machine owner driver that does most of my own repairs, a puddle of hydraulic oil under the machine in the morning gives me horrible sinking feeling in the gut, quite often followed by some swearing and bad thoughts of despair. This stage of the repair process can add a few hours/days to the hrs you mentioned.

Once you get stuck in, it's amazing what can be accomplished!

It doesn't bother my stomach...I just pull out the company card and get parts! Haha. It's a different animal when it's your machine and your $$$. I've been there myself. Sometimes you can't stand around and stare at it, just jump in!!

When I did the first IMT rotary trans that intimidated me a bit. I knew where the issue was, well I had a good hunch anyway. Swallowed hard and got parts coming. Sure enough I was right....this time anyway.