• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

kenh

A Weber is a quantum leap ahead of the aforementioned semi-calibrated leaks.
IIRC there were Farrari's with six of them poised on top of the engine.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A very good friend of mine, a mentor if you will, has always worked on older British stuff. Mainly Jags. There's a whole drawer in his box full of the funky British wrenches. We didn't use them very often but when you needed them you needed them. Boot and bonnet :)

Knowing a bit about British stuff (Lucas Electronics in this case) you might get a chuckle of out a joke the British car collectors always tell. You know why the brits like their beer warm? All their fridges are made by Lucas!

When our old British bikes would not start, we would predict it was going to rain the next day. Them Lucas ignitions were so prone to moisture failure that they would not run the day before a rain.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You still have a bottle of Lucas magic smoke, do you have the installer as that was what self destructed after a single use!!

terex herder

Junkyard, a white rig from your outfit out of the Topeka store was out here in '14 to drill holes for a cell tower for Hayden. Pretty big post hole for these parts. I was very impressed how there was basically no loose dirt in the bottom of the hole, maybe about 65" in diameter x 30' deep. It was about a yard of concrete per foot.

I've got a welder like yours with the 2-71 Detroit, mine's badged Libby SAE 400, but Lincoln made. Libby sold a lot of stuff to the government. Mine is a 1968 on a factory Electric Wheel 4 wheel running gear.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Small world! White rig and a hole that big it was most likely a Watson 3100, probably unit V-311 unless it had a cab then it was 313. We've got a few tricks for cleaning a hole up nice short of sending a man down which we have to do on occasion.

I spent several hours piddling with my 2-71 powered 400 this weekend. Fresh fuel, filters, fuel lines, fixed some broken welds on the chassis etc. The fuel had turned to $hit on me. Smelled like varnished gas. I'm going to move the start button and gauges to the end panel and build a throttle linkage so I can mount it behind the cab of my beater service truck and still run it all from the end. I think s/n puts mine like 69/70 or something like that.

crane operator

I can mount it behind the cab of my beater service truck

Speaking of beater service trucks, I haven't seen any pictures of this creature, and I've been sitting at this computer waiting.....

Or are you waiting until you fix up the worst of it, then take the pictures, and call them the "before" pictures, because its really that bad? :)

crane operator

That's not too bad, I was envisioning pink with green stripes or something. Looks like you've got room for welder and compressor?

Dirt guy by me used to have a boom like that with the double winches, he said it was really stout, for what it was. No outriggers, or did they just steal them out from under it? You could make a rigger for that side pretty easy with a trailer jack and a beam going to the frame under the bumper.

466? or L10?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
L10, 9 speed. Those old cranes are stout and lighter. Essentially the same as a lattice boom vs hydro. More finesse in it than my hydro at work. There's about 54" behind the cab. Should fit the SAE400 and my compressor. I need to fix the stack, I'd say somebody smacked it with the crane. It'll get a straight pipe. I'll get the wheels blasted and painted soon and throw on some caps and lug covers. I'm going to attempt to fix the paint on the cab and see if I can't massage the dents out of the passenger roof..... bed doesn't match truck but it's not a terrible mismatch. For $3,500 I can't complain. It actually runs and drives good other than I don't think there's a synchro left in the trans! Plus somebody did a hack job of stretching it so I'll have to address that with an insert and a crossmember most likely.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Looks like the same crane I've been using since 2001, Tough critters and half the weight of an equivalent Hydraulic model. Best part is you don't have to run the engine in the shop to use it.

crane operator

Yes, all those parts of line on the boom up and down has got to be smoother than the hyd cylinder ones. Mine on the little ford 450 truck is not smooth at all. But that may just be the operator.....

Looks to me like you did good on price too. At least you don't have to worry about putting the first scratch on it, you can just work it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've pondered adding one. I've never used one. I need to play with the one at work and see what I think. It would sit right over the lousy frame splice so that would need attention but it's certainly doable. I know of a nearly new 12,000 Palfinger in TX I could get worth the $ although it would be dang near double what I paid for the truck!

Moved a rig from one side of a bridge to the other today. Told the operator to leave the rotary up and the horse head pinned up we will move it assembled. I did take the kelly bars out, I don't think the trailer would lift it complete. It's about 120-125k ready to drill. It didn't like lifting the 220, it weighs about 112k.

IMG_9825.JPG

crane operator

The nice thing with a knuckleboom is the push and pull ability. They aren't so handy if you have something and you want to go straight up and down, like setting a head on a engine, or dropping in a rear 3rd member, or a transmission in from the top.

Now if you start talking about a knuckleboom with a winch mounted, I'm all in on that idea, you can do whatever you want. There aren't a lot out there like that, but there are some.