• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

dirty4fun

Looks like a dentist appointment is needed. One little piece of steel can make a lot of pieces in a hurry.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Lol one of the operators said it's got tooth decay!

Thankfully the bottom set of gears is NOT in the hydraulic system. Top set is and they're fine. On a hunch I had already ordered a trans. Should have arrived today but weather delayed it. I'll order parts for this one and rebuild it. We have 3 IMT 180's and they all use the same trans. So that means there are 5 more after this one that could eventually fail. This was our first IMT and highest hours at 6,235.

I'd like to think my keen ear caught this. I was hearing abnormal noises before it started the hard crunching. I guess you spend enough time around them and you learn what's not right and hear it without even listening for it if that makes any sense at all.

I'm glad it's the lower set, that would be a lot of trash to clean out of the hydraulic system if the top had gone bad. I've already cut filters and they looked good. It does have a separate return filter before the main hydraulic system to catch garbage should it suffer a catastrophic failure.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Lol one of the operators said it's got tooth decay!

Thankfully the bottom set of gears is NOT in the hydraulic system. Top set is and they're fine. On a hunch I had already ordered a trans. Should have arrived today but weather delayed it. I'll order parts for this one and rebuild it. We have 3 IMT 180's and they all use the same trans. So that means there are 5 more after this one that could eventually fail. This was our first IMT and highest hours at 6,235.

I'd like to think my keen ear caught this. I was hearing abnormal noises before it started the hard crunching. I guess you spend enough time around them and you learn what's not right and hear it without even listening for it if that makes any sense at all.

I'm glad it's the lower set, that would be a lot of trash to clean out of the hydraulic system if the top had gone bad. I've already cut filters and they looked good. It does have a separate return filter before the main hydraulic system to catch garbage should it suffer a catastrophic failure.

I like you hear things without even listening for them. The old "whats different" thing. If only I was always smart enough to figure it out before it was to late.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
More mindless IMT work resealing various piddly leaks. I don't think they could have packed anymore hoses in here if they wanted to!
IMG_9745.JPG IMG_9747.JPG

dirty4fun

Gee I thought my backhoe was bad. You had to remove a bunch of hoses to get to the one that needed replacement. All of them back in a narrow space. By the time I had replaced al of them I sold it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Scary thing is I know which ones go where and what size and type of seals/o-rings go where. It's a fairly common spot for them to leak. Especially the rotary and kelly winch hoses as they see the most frequent use and highest number of cycles. Those hoses get to jumping pretty good.

It is a pain, remove 3,4 or 5 hoses to get to the leaky spot. Most often it's the BSPP end of the tee where it goes into bulkhead.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Usually yes. Most of those hoses are flat face o-ring. The most irritating leaks are the male ends of the tees that are BSPP. They don't have the angled edge to seal with a bonded washer. Sometimes an appropriate sized o-ring will do the trick. Sometimes you end up having to tape the threads like you would a pipe fitting from our side of the pond. Sometimes it's both. A few times I've had to replace the bulkhead fitting itself or the tee to remedy the situation. This particular time o-rings seemed to have cured it.

I have one on the larger IMT that's always a problem. It's due for some new parts if they want the to drips completely gone.

d9gdon

The worst thing that I've ever seen for hoses jammed into one spot was a John Deere 200C excavator. I had to take apart the hydraulic manifold to replace some o-rings that were leaking between the two halves of it and there were 108 steel lines and hoses going into that thing.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
And why is it when there is a leak on something like that the one that is leaking is the first one to go on and last one to come off?

Good ole Murphy has a lot to do with it....

The boom lift I worked on awhile back needed a couple tires so my buddy decided to bring his old B81 wrecker out to do the lifting. I snapped a couple pics....

You can tell by Wyatt how much we had it up lol. That's a tough old truck.

IMG_9751.JPG IMG_9753.JPG IMG_9755.JPG IMG_9756.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My IMT parts showed up Monday. We've been so busy moving rigs and whatnot I didn't open the crate until yesterday morning and f**k me the trans was missing the lower planetary gearset which is what we REALLY needed. Called the parts guy and got the "oh I guess I doesn't come with it". Good news is I had ordered parts to rebuild our old trans. Tracking said they'd be here yesterday. Well some showed up, bearings and seals. So here I sit again waiting on parts!

On top of that I've been sick as a dog since Monday evening and the wife is back in the hospital again. She can't catch a break! After her gall bladder was removed she seemed to be improving but a few days later some new issues show up. I heard mention of a trip to Mayo. Something has to be done, she's been having issues for several months. I actually feel slightly human this morning. Between toughing it out at work and managing things at home I am BEAT!!!

I also bought myself a service truck with a crane. It's a rough old girl cosmetically but I think the bones are good. When I get it picked up, today maybe, I'll post some pics. 1990 International L10 Cummins, 9 speed, 6k Autocrane, room for a welder deck up front. A little TLC, paint and some elbow grease and it'll do what I need for a long time.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I am a real believer in the Mayo Clinic. They start at the beginning and to a whole body diagnostic exam. While they do read the reports they do not go with preconceived notions from the referring physicians. Normally they have you there first think on a Monday morning for a consult and continually add tests and procedures all week as things develop. If you go, let us know, we are not that far away.

crane operator

I also bought myself a service truck with a crane. It's a rough old girl cosmetically but I think the bones are good. When I get it picked up, today maybe, I'll post some pics. 1990 International L10 Cummins, 9 speed, 6k Autocrane, room for a welder deck up front. A little TLC, paint and some elbow grease and it'll do what I need for a long time.

Don't tease us with new arrivals and then not post pictures......

Hope your wife gets to doing better. That will wear all of you out in a hurry.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I brought it home last night, I think I overdid it as I've been up all night. Can't keep anything down. Looks like I may have to breakdown and go to Dr myself. Ugh.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
I brought it home last night, I think I overdid it as I've been up all night. Can't keep anything down. Looks like I may have to breakdown and go to Dr myself. Ugh.
how you feeling hope your doing better along with the wife you should be getting a package next week I got some stuff I'm sending you in the mail today get feeling better cant wait to see the new truck you picked up

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
how you feeling hope your doing better along with the wife you should be getting a package next week I got some stuff I'm sending you in the mail today get feeling better cant wait to see the new truck you picked up

Thanks. I drug my a$$ to urgent care yesterday to find out I have strep throat. I'm almost 24 hours in on the antibiotics and I'm starting to feel better. Haven't eaten in almost 48 hours....I made some toast so we will see how that sits!

Angela was released yesterday, she went to her sisters since I'm home and contagious. She's so weak I'll have to get better and then disinfect the house before she comes back. It's been quite an ordeal.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Thanks. I drug my a$$ to urgent care yesterday to find out I have strep throat. I'm almost 24 hours in on the antibiotics and I'm starting to feel better. Haven't eaten in almost 48 hours....I made some toast so we will see how that sits!

Angela was released yesterday, she went to her sisters since I'm home and contagious. She's so weak I'll have to get better and then disinfect the house before she comes back. It's been quite an ordeal.
sounds like it the wife gets strep throat a lot that's not fun hang in there it will get better