• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

StanRUS

034.JPG
Last week's spam Junkyard topic. This week's topic pulleys, crazy rigging and a bit of real-workin man's day.

I really like the VICE FOOT STOOL, get me a couple inches taller part of the photo. I do that all of the time, approved way to slip and bust your a$$ :eek::oops: hitting the ground hurts, landing on steel things is dangerous.

Using service truck's workbench as a foot stand is typical when repacking scraper steering cylinders
034.JPG
Typical RB Auction 'it won't shift scrapers'; but it was cheap, LOL
043.JPG
045.JPG
055.JPG
Worn clutch packs, R&I trans-diff and convert to later drive shaft, reset pinion-bevel gear bearing pre-load etc. Always something

Last edited:

StanRUS

Master Mechanic sometimes helper, sometime my boss Richard D migrant from the last Okie invasion of Calif in 1989 after Cat dealership Albert ownership changed. Richard has removed 1,000+ transmission-differential assemblies, notice he keeps his body away from the load, bit of swinging does not hurt anything.
Young tend to wrestle steel until they figure out they're wearing out their bodies; i.e. work smart, not hard, stay safe.

Jeff,
Keep your eyes open for a C-max / bore welder. Easy day to make $2k; $1600 welding-boring and $400 for new pins and thrust washers. Plus labor to disassemble and reassemble. BB tiny requires a bore welder; hand welding bores leaves bumps and irregular surfaces that will destroy carbide cutting tools or you're forced to use high speed steel and sharpen, sharpen.
070.JPG 072.JPG
All gravy work

Last edited:

jrgreene1968

This was a good read.. been reading this whole thread off and on today. Brings back lots of memories. My dad owned a dirt const, company growing up, I spun wrenches for him till around 89 or so, then went to work on natural gas compressors. Mainly large stationary engines and compressors. Lot easier on the body, but a lot of driving. 60-70k miles a year. Went out on my own in 96, and still do 98% of my work on gas compressors, engine rebuilds, with a random job on dozer, excavator etc from time to time. Enjoyed the read Junkyard.. you are a busy man!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
This was a good read.. been reading this whole thread off and on today. Brings back lots of memories. My dad owned a dirt const, company growing up, I spun wrenches for him till around 89 or so, then went to work on natural gas compressors. Mainly large stationary engines and compressors. Lot easier on the body, but a lot of driving. 60-70k miles a year. Went out on my own in 96, and still do 98% of my work on gas compressors, engine rebuilds, with a random job on dozer, excavator etc from time to time. Enjoyed the read Junkyard.. you are a busy man!

Thanks for reading! It’s been somewhat mundane and uneventful lately. I did turn 200k miles on the haul truck week before last. That’s about the highlight lol. Some of the latest work has been places I can’t take pics. The soilmec has been working well, running like a watch so the AIO.42 module was the culprit!

Here’s the Pete at 200k and a remedial task for me....hauling a load of tools.

5E6B3097-6508-444A-A45D-D9E7F9650F6F.jpeg

5D64292A-553D-4E0C-A1C1-47DAC43D267B.jpeg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Lol unlike her brothers she wants nothing to do with it! Smart girl haha. I even asked if she wanted to make some laps around the yard. Nope. We do start driving lessons soon....god help me!
You are lucky. My oldest got hooked on trucks and equipment at 14 or so, I had her loading dumptrucks with the 821, backfilling trenches with the D6M and driving a little bit of truck here and there hauling stuff around on site. By 24 she and her hubby had matching his and hers Peterbilts hauling cattle.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You are lucky. My oldest got hooked on trucks and equipment at 14 or so, I had her loading dumptrucks with the 821, backfilling trenches with the D6M and driving a little bit of truck here and there hauling stuff around on site. By 24 she and her hubby had matching his and hers Peterbilts hauling cattle.

That’s awesome. Alex is too smart for the crap we do. She’ll be a dr or who knows what. She’ll surprise me now and then with what she’s learned. Even surprised some of the boys at school that think they know diesel.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
She will be a hard act to follow for most little boys! Will take quite a head turner WITH a brain to catch her fancy.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a feeling that was not his first time driving a truck like that! Love watching someone drive like that makes it look sooo easy.

Reminded me of the ride I had in an R Model Mack with a Tri-plex transmission. I had found a problem with a bad suction line for the fuel pump and driver suggested I ride with him on a 50 mile round trip just to be sure it was fixed. He drove that twin stick transmission and made it look so smooth you would think it had an automatic transmission! If you had ear plugs in and were not watching the levers you would never know he had changed gears and a good part of the trip was in city traffic!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
All the tri-plex units I had worked on that long ago had three sticks?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Beautiful Truck. That has some real class. I take it the short lever on the right of the steering wheel is a splitter of some sort. Air?