• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

StanRUS

All the tri-plex units I had worked on that long ago had three sticks?
No Sir, 2 sticks with short positive stick travel.

Spicer auxiliary trans 'shift tower-2 round rails' would wear out just from vibration.

Two-Stroke OP Cummins ACE
British Leyland L60 19liter OP multi-fuel was a flop. Maybe with CAD design aides the problems can be overcome.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
All the tri-plex units I had worked on that long ago had three sticks?
Would not say there wasn't a three stick triplex but here is the shift pattern off the one's I'm familiar with, actually worked on many more of the Quadraplex(four speed compound 18 speed!):
triplex shift pattern.png

StanRUS

actually worked on many more of the Quadraplex(four speed compound 18 speed!):

Yep, intermittent bearing failed on the quad boxes often.

Mack TriPlex, driver would have passed our drive test...No clutch usage allowed except to start off from 1st gear.
Used B61 NH220 / Cozad to move D9G,Hs for years, lot of gear shifting.
CORONA CLAY MACK.JPG
Repowering with NTC350, high school friend's throw away engine.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Well the Quadraplex's we had were almost all used in B-81's and DM809's used for stocking trucks in the quarries. The most common failure I saw was reverse idler gear, seems drivers could not be bothered to let truck come to stop before going for reverse. Maybe second most common failure was the PTO drive gear and PTO, again driver not letting things stop before engaging gears.

Of course those failures did tend to spread damage to many other parts of the transmission!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Well the Quadraplex's we had were almost all used in B-81's and DM809's used for stocking trucks in the quarries. The most common failure I saw was reverse idler gear, seems drivers could not be bothered to let truck come to stop before going for reverse. Maybe second most common failure was the PTO drive gear and PTO, again driver not letting things stop before engaging gears.

Of course those failures did tend to spread damage to many other parts of the transmission!

I know this is probably nothing since you were in charge of the fleet but how much of that could be attributed to clutch brakes that did not work?

I would always write up my own clutch brake, it would sometimes be fixed when it came back from the shop, let another driver take it out for one day and it was back to grinding again, or leaving the transmission in gear/clutch depressed at a red light, or trying to get the truck rolling under gravity before putting it in gear.

kshansen

Occupation
I know this is probably nothing since you were in charge of the fleet but how much of that could be attributed to clutch brakes that did not work?

Yea, I'm sure there was plenty of blame to go around. I really don't think many of the "drivers" had any idea of what a clutch brake was or how to properly use it!

As a side note most of the trucks had the clutch brake that worked on the countershaft of the main box. Those were back in the days before Spicer Angle Spring clutches!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Not much new to report. It’s been quiet. A couple rig moves. Normal repairs for the most part. Have one Watson 2500 with a noisy Funk 28000 series pump drive. Trans rattles a bit too but it’ll go a long time like that. I literally spent a week on that rig just digging into stuff. Trans oil, pump drive oil, drive yoke and output shaft, triple 80 drive chain, grease the stuff the guys don’t take the time to grease. Run the OH, full service yada yada.

I decided this week that I’m pouring an apron on the north end of my shop. I’m sick of the muck. Will go the width of the building, 50’, and at least 30 out. Maybe 40. Will also do a roof over it as well. Need shade and out of the darn rain. I don’t tolerate inclement weather like I used to!

First winter in a couple years we’ve actually slowed down a bit. It helps me catch up on the more in depth inspections and PM work.

I hope everybody survived the holidays and is doing well!

crane operator

I owe you a apology. I cleaned up my desk and a bunch of papers. And lo and behold, what drops out from the stack of papers, but a nameplate for a CAT engine. It was only a 3208, but I guess I shouldn't be giving you a hard time, when I've got the same stuff lying around- that I couldn't even remember having lying around.

Anyways I'll be having my humble pie for dessert today:

20190127_082823.jpg

crane operator

No- and I don't even remember which engine it came off of, I haven't even had one around for 3-4 years now. I had both turbo and N/A. The 240 leads me to believe the tag was off a turbo, because I think the N/A one that I had was 230hp.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Here’s you another detroit

Attachments

• 1C953400-E11B-4CFD-B020-62E40358BA67.png
    1C953400-E11B-4CFD-B020-62E40358BA67.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 65

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
So my oldest son, Wyatt, is 8. He asked me Friday what he could do to earn some money to buy a game for his Xbox. He offered to sweep the shop for $5. I said how about I pay you $5 an hour. So Saturday and Sunday he helped me around the shop. He personally stacked a cord of split wood and cleaned up after I did some wiring work on a car hauler. Can’t tell y’all how proud it made me to hear him ask for work to earn money!

58981E00-398D-4AB8-A6EA-C839B4DD4196.jpeg

dirty4fun

Great that he hung in there created some job ethics for future use, when he grows up. Probably even learned something, too.

AzIron

If he did that the poor kid would have only made 5 bucks for a 8 hour day lol

That's pretty good tho I remember my dad asking me one time if I wanted to make 5 bucks a truck washing end dumps I said no witch was not the correct answer so I got to wash end dumps for free

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well....I came up to KCKS yesterday to check out a couple rigs that have been idle since October. All ran and started fine last I saw them sometime in November. One rig fired up after a few minutes with jumper cables. The other.....yeah not so much.

It’s a Watson 3100 with Deere power. Gear reduction starter that finally gave up the ghost. Run and get a starter, swap it out and she fires right up. Runs until the fuel filters are dry and dies. They have 5 hours on them. I have no spares. Back to Deere, swap them and she runs great. Jump in the seat, it’ll build air but somewhere it’s froze because I have no clutch control or winch brake release. By then it was 4. So.....I stayed in KC. Didn’t bring my bag or my dog so it’s all my fault haha.

Got some alcohol (for the air system, not me lol), I’ll see if between that and some heat I can get things thawed out. We warmed it up good yesterday. Oh well!

7D5CB436-417E-4353-AFFF-0DF234780AC7.jpeg