1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Junkyard, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Lol. So far he doesn’t seem to have it. He’s puppy destructive but not rip the couch apart because I left him. He’s a good pup so far.

DMiller likes this.
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Give him time!!

RZucker likes this.
  3. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I left a 4 month old chocolate lab in my truck for 20 minutes once. Bugger ate all the coily cords on my 2 way radio and old school hard mount cell phone, chewed up a corner of the dashpad, and gnawed on the shifter handle. Last time I left one in the truck.
    My next dog years later was a Heeler, she would lay by the front tire of the truck all day long doing field work, she was funny in the shop, I was torque turning Cat mainbolts and laying on my side on my "queen size" padded creeper and the dog was laying on the pad behind my back. I had her for 18 years as a work helper.

DB2, Labparamour and DMiller like this.
  4. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    He’s gotten a couple phone chargers, my earbuds and some other odds and ends. He LOVES gloves. Steals em dang near off your hands!

5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Mine was a Malemute, would decide to get an attitude if left him alone. Ate the 5x5x3" tall wooden knob off a armchair when I had to make a emergency call to the station I worked, decided my VW park brake lever needed more non slip depressions when sitting at a friends house. Decided for my Mother her Rose bushes were mighty tasty, ate them off to the grade from 3' tall thorns and all. Loved Beef knuckles for treats, lasted around two hours before was little to nothing left, could hear the popping from inside the house as he broke them up(raw). His favorite toy, a riding mower tire(dismounted) thrown like a football he would run it down and fetch it back to gnaw on for hours like a massive squeaky toy minus the squeak. Could dig a crater 4'x 3' x 6" deep in what seemed seconds, could NOT locate a spoonful of dirt to refill the holes.

I anxiously await the tale of a boot or pair of britches getting eaten! Would be a Perfect Pup for that!!

RZucker and StanRUS like this.
  6. StanRUS

StanRUS Senior Member

On the way home from work, stopped by market, purchased steak...feel asleep and forgot the steak was on the kitchen counter. Next morning, ops. Okay give the neighbor's shepherd the steak. Neighbors HAVE TO cook the steak before the dog can eat it.

DMiller likes this.
  7. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    One of the best dog toys I’ve discovered is the biscuit from a 30/30 brake chamber!

DMiller likes this.
  8. Bumpsteer

Bumpsteer Senior Member

Mechanical designer
    Guess I'm lucky with my 2 dogs, they treat my Suburban like a rolling doghouse.

Had it in the shop the other night, unloading tools. Rear cargo doors open.

The golden retriever was driving me nuts! Following me around, just up my azz.

Finally realized, doors open and he couldn't get in, tools in the way. Opened a side door, problem solved.

Ed

hosspuller, DMiller and Labparamour like this.
  9. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    I unloaded a rig today in a soupy job site. Of course dog wanted out. Tried to keep him out of the mud. Stuck him back in the truck. Put my stuff away and came back to crap all over drivers door and my seat. Couldn’t blame the poor guy.....I’ve done worse myself!

DMiller likes this.
  10. kenh

kenh Well-Known Member

My current Goldie has a addiction........BAGELS.
    If I have hone she will jump up/down, growl and snarl. until I share with her.
    Favorite toy is a plastic coffee can, she play soccer with it/
    6- 8 cans scattered over about an acre.

DMiller likes this.
  11. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Nothin terribly exciting to report. We have several rigs in KC so I’ll be up here all week getting them taken care of. Major gremlins in the Soilmec. CAN-BUS issues. I have checked every connection, grounds and some sensors. I’m down the the alternator as that’s one code I have in the computer and it is overcharging a bit. There’s also a module on here that shows input from terminal 14.....but it’s not used nor are any near it. It also has a constant active code. 5-7 days from Italy plus a few more from CT to MO.

Never would I have dreamed a drill rig would have WiFi and a mile of Ethernet cable!

62A98143-D501-41DD-9AE0-577E02EDA8D3.jpeg B0DF0A82-069D-4E00-925D-0EC7A3542E4E.jpeg

mikebramel likes this.
  12. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Look like you are troubleshoot rockets going to Mars.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    To me it’s entirely too complicated but what do I know! Funny thing is all but the generator and AIO.42 codes come and go as they please.....it did it yesterday just sitting there idling while I was looking at the schematic. It’s 100 pages!

DMiller likes this.
  14. StanRUS

StanRUS Senior Member

Wiring connections doesn't look very off-road durable, dust, vibration proof.

15. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    The cabinet that particular module is in seals up well, positive pressure and desicant blocks. I agree that it’s a risky way to do things long term.....this rig has 2315 hours on it.

DMiller likes this.
  16. Camshawn

Camshawn Well-Known Member

Junkyard: Have you rebooted the main computer and Ethernet card? This may require removing a fuse or the power. The risk is the program may crash on power off leaving you worse off. We find that this is most often the solution to a lot of industrial electronic devices. Lots of smart devices get confused and need to reload the program from memory in order to work properly. You will probably loose the fault codes so take a picture before you start. Good luck. Cam

17. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    We’ve done all the reboots and resets the tech was willing to walk us through. I decided after today to send out another rig and the factory is sending a tech out to help us get this thing figured out. I sure hope it’s not something stupid simple!!!

Thanks for the tip, I’m sure I’ll have issues in the future.

Camshawn likes this.
  18. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

Do you know if any of the code generating bits share a ground? I had 2 abraded wires intermittently backfeeding 12V to the common ground that would cause the same 10-12 codes all at once.

19. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    We’ve checked them too, so far I have nothing obvious....or even suspect.....

DMiller and bccat like this.
  20. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    The insecure mechanic in me is worried factory tech comes and finds something STUPID simple. The rest of me hopes he’s stumped too and we figure it out together. We shall see!

I buttoned up the Watson today. Finished resealing the accessory drive and compressor. Serviced it and discovered it’s got two old weak batteries so they got replaced today as well. Even had flurries today. It’s that time of year!

DMiller likes this.