• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

kenh

I enjoyed the exhaust too, also the little screeches of delight from your passengers
So I moved trucks around to mow and spray some weeds. Of course the boys want to ride in them all. We made some laps in the old corn-binder service truck. As I worked on it I cut off the bent up stack and muffler. They love it loud!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Getting on a plane this morning. When did people get in such a big damn hurry and lose what little manners they have? Geez we haven’t even taken off and I’m about ready to snap. They act like the plane is their own private jet. Rules don’t apply. Bump into you with their overloaded bags or giant a$$! It’s comical lol.

Reminds me of why I seldom fly!

Reactions: DB2

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Me as well, Hateful experience every time, people in general flying are rude and in some kind of self imposed hurry. I was just trying to save some time instead of driving, most time feel would've been better off driving.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That’s generally my rule of thumb as well. This trip is farther than that and I’m driving a truck and trailer back so I had to suck it up and fly. I hate not being prepared. No knife or my pistol. Kinda feel naked without them!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ain't flying FUN!!! I will fly to Spokane to visit my Uncle, will fly to SLC to visit cousins and MAY fly for a short vacation to suit the wife but generally is on two or four wheels on highways. Headed to Atlanta (Ball ground) GA for a nephew's wedding soon, DRIVING as can get there faster than awaiting the plane, working thru the Security lines, getting luggage in and out of airport and then await the same crap to get back, to me is ALSO cheaper not that I am a cheapskate but I am!!. Figures to an 8.6hr trip down same back but lose an hour down and gain one return clock time so offset. Even if goes 9 hours ride time(Break stops) not bad.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It had been years since I went through an airport until the recent job I did to Hawaii. It brought back all the memories of why I hate airports and waiting in lines and the TSA and overhead bins and checking bags and smelly obnoxious passengers and having to pay for food on the plane and waiting to get off the plane and getting bags out of claim and trying to get back to your car or getting a ride out of the airport. The only good part of flying now days is being done with the trip.

crane operator

I haven't flown in over 10 years. If I can't drive there, I'm probably not going. I'm not opposed to flying, I'm just opposed to commercial. The TSA and the people and the lines and fitting into a crowded seat, its just not worth it.

I've thought about having my own plane, but I'm not sure about the "old dog new tricks thing". It would make it easier to see family, and I think I would enjoy it. I just have known too many guys my age, who have gone down with the plane they could finally afford.

I do have a friend and a nephew in Hawaii now though, and the thought has crossed my mine for a vacation, but that's a really long flight.

(edit)- John C. beat me to it......

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The big island with a direct fright from Seattle to Kona was 5.5 to 6 hours. The travel day was ten hours. If you go to one of the other islands the usual path is to somewhere in California and then to Honolulu and with the layovers the shortest flight was ten plus hours. Take an IPad of smart phone. The in flight movies are through blue tooth now days. My trip was a project to consult on a machine repair and train the repair staff first and then have some time to roam the island. The trip was worth the flight but the flight was the worst part of the trip.

Wes J

Flying lets you see just how much like cattle average people are. It's hilarious.

Like boarding. As soon as the voice says anything about boarding they queue up to get on first. They'll stand in line for 20 minutes. All so they can get in the plane and sit in a cramped seat for another 20 minutes.

I sit in the comfy seats at the terminal until the boarding agent threatens to lock me out.

Flying sucks.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Last time on plane we were coming home from LA to New York with stop over in ATL. First off the traffic to the LA airports was ridiculous and I was riding a bus.

Then you had to check in at one place and sprint to the other end of terminal to do the TSA dance.

Finally get to board the plane and while opening overhead to store small carry-on a guys suit coat starts to fall out so I simply went to put it back in before it fell on the floor. Big mistake! He got all upset that I was wrinkling the jacket. To make it worse he was in the isle seat next to us. As we were some of the first ones on the plane I can only imagine how much more stuff got jammed into that all important jacket as the compartment filled up!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Like boarding. As soon as the voice says anything about boarding they queue up to get on first. They'll stand in line for 20 minutes. All so they can get in the plane and sit in a cramped seat for another 20 minutes.

I sit in the comfy seats at the terminal until the boarding agent threatens to lock me out.

I pretty much refuse to stand in a line anywhere. If I can be in the front that's fine. If there is a long line I will find someplace else to sit. Like when lunch is served at some event. Half the time when the initial rush of people clears out, then they will bring out some fresh food to replace what was taken. So you wind up getting better food with no line.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I pretty much refuse to stand in a line anywhere. If I can be in the front that's fine. If there is a long line I will find someplace else to sit. Like when lunch is served at some event. Half the time when the initial rush of people clears out, then they will bring out some fresh food to replace what was taken. So you wind up getting better food with no line.
Plus the portions sometimes get bigger as they don't want to have to cart the left overs home!

dirty4fun

I used to enjoy flying commercial, then we flew to work on a private plane. No hassles that's how I got enough flight time to get my twin engine rating. Now I just about always drive, and enjoy every minute, other than big cities that are a traffic night mare. I always carry a knife, but can't at the airport. Now I carry concealed but can't do that at the airport. So I drive and can carry both except when going to Canada. Still better than having to deal with the TSA people who were sweeping the floors till they got this job, that went to their empty heads.

StanRUS

Getting on a plane this morning. When did people get in such a big damn hurry and lose what little manners they have? Geez we haven’t even taken off and I’m about ready to snap. They act like the plane is their own private jet. Rules don’t apply. Bump into you with their overloaded bags or giant a$$! It’s comical lol.

Reminds me of why I seldom fly!
When did people lose their manners? Try New York or any larger cities worldwide. I fly business or 1st class. No cattle car economy BS. Lufthansa 747-8 business,seat 87A is my preference. 87A is window, 2nd row of seats @ top of stairs. Starboard side; Europe outbound from LAX gives good view of the coastline heading south then turning inland over the desert northeasterly. Seating layout is a bit different, lay flat seat with angled foot rest with divider. Okay flying with a friend but could be a problem with a MeToo type nut case. FA service has deteriorated compared previous years; maybe all the union strikes, whatever.
Going to try 787; better cabin air supply, not air-bleed. Thinking less jet-lag issue if the cabin air quality is better.
Enjoy your' trip!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well I left my shop at 4:30am, took off a tad after 6. Landed in Vegas 9:00am local time. Piddled around until about noon and hit the road. Wasn’t real sure how far I wanted to get. Ended up stopping in Moriarty, NM which is about half way home, not too bad. I can tell you that after 16-17 hours with my a$$ in a seat I am SORE this morning. I think there will be lots of stops today to walk around.

This trailer has wonderful steps that fold down making it super easy to walk in and out. Until some a$$hole parks so close you can’t fold them down to get out!! I picked a secluded spot to prevent this very issue! :mad:

55476FFE-8997-468D-AD4D-B2875B7C47E0.jpeg