• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had my face in more High Voltage systems than I really want to remember. Rack up/down Circuit Breakers in the Power Station bigger than most safes, tall as refrigerators and weighed close to 800 lbs. 13,800v for the Reactor Coolant pumps(4), fed directly from the breakers, cross feed breakers one buss to another, most were 4,160v some a little smaller all the lower voltage as 480, 240 and 208 in smaller package panels. Had to wear the Flame Retardant (Retarded) gear when got ANY form or style even Close to an open panel, looked like Cloth coverall HAZMAT suits and weighed close to 40 lbs. Did get to go to AB Chance(Hubbell) Centralia MO for training as to what voltage and amps can do, horrific if in that failure mode. The suits were not to save you but to prevent serious burns or keep from sending a cooked corpse to the funeral home.

IMG_1762.jpg

StanRUS

'Magna-Blast' By GE.
Scary circuit breakers:eek: My buddy collected 2 free give away electric rope shovels, saying collects because they never operate correctly. 1 from 3M, 1 from Azusa Rock. 7200-13,800V 60Hz power req'd / using 7200V. Older DC shovels; kill power, unhook trail-cable, grounding before opening electrical cabinets to bleed off residual voltage' safety procedures and circuit lock-outs. Respect for the amperage-voltage, nothing dramatic:rolleyes:
Long term exposure to WiFi-cellular tower, cellular phone EMR is more dangerous

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Talk about those big electric shovels reminded me of a story my father-in-law told me years ago.
He worked as a supervisor at a large quarry that was connected to a cement factory near Albany NY. They had a large electric shove to load the haul trucks at the quarry face. As will happen the power cord got damaged and needed to be repaired by cutting out the bad section and re-splicing it together.

Electricians spent several hours doing the repair and when they turned the power back on the shovel would not work, that's when they found someone had spliced the two ends of the damaged section not the good section of wire. Good thing someone was not sitting on what they thought was the scrap section of wire.

I may have some of the story wrong but that's what I recall him telling me!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We’ve seen what happens when drill rigs get into lines. I get spooked when we are drilling in active sub-stations. I swear I feel it lol.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There are fields present in sub stations, as you walk around will pick up a static charge where touch anything grounded will draw a arc. Can be spectacular arcs when REALLY dry out.

For a FYI, That breaker above is sitting on a standard 4'x4' pallet the 'Stabs' on top are three phases in and three out are almost 4" across and a little over 14" tall, slip into a mating bushing inside the cubicle when rack Up. When racking these can hear the 'HISS' of the juice coming into the Line side stabs just before they make up. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck EVERY Time and NOT from static. Could Hear it over the electric motor drive lifting the unit.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Local electric utility uses clean Basalt ballast in their switchyards, it gets changed out when its full of windblown dirt. I was in the right place at the right time to haul off 8 dumptruck loads of the stuff and put it in the yard. I was playing with a new metal detector that was supposed to find manhole covers and water boxes below grade, it went absolutely nuts in that ballast... Magnetized? I was trying to find a couple chunks of plate that had been buried in the stuff , Never could make it work there. Anywhere else it worked great.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve seen it jump before from one thing to another. We drilled a hole by a control building one time. Grounded the rig and all that stuff. Second bite came up with wire on it. I asked the guy what that was. He said aw it’s okd stuff. Under his breath I swore I heard “I hope....” WTAF!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Electrician workshop had a sign on the wall until management could no longer see the joke. "Kamikaze Cable Cutters of Callaway Plant". We had so much buried, abandoned in place construction service wire, communications wire, MILES of conduits empty or loaded and then abandoned pipes and just Stuff that someone thought was funny to bury. The plant went to situate a additional water supply tank for Fukushima remediation, set in on concrete piers to bedrock, hit something metal so sent in a camera into the bore some 22 feet down. Once IDd they then set a plan to extricate the Chevrolet Carryall buried that had been presumed Stolen during construction. Took an additional two weeks to get it out, ruined but intact, it was hastily disposed of. Ground scans did NOT show any other 'Large Objects' the NRC could be less than impressed of.
Story was a Enga was touring the site in initial construct days, drove the machine into a heavy work area, pedestal crane operator was directed to send the hook which was attached to the running Carryall's hitch then lifted on end and deposited in a cut being backfilled, a D7 and three pans then crushed and covered it up when the enga returned 'Nobody Knew Nothin' and the mystery began.

JD955SC

Electrician workshop had a sign on the wall until management could no longer see the joke. "Kamikaze Cable Cutters of Callaway Plant". We had so much buried, abandoned in place construction service wire, communications wire, MILES of conduits empty or loaded and then abandoned pipes and just Stuff that someone thought was funny to bury. The plant went to situate a additional water supply tank for Fukushima remediation, set in on concrete piers to bedrock, hit something metal so sent in a camera into the bore some 22 feet down. Once IDd they then set a plan to extricate the Chevrolet Carryall buried that had been presumed Stolen during construction. Took an additional two weeks to get it out, ruined but intact, it was hastily disposed of. Ground scans did NOT show any other 'Large Objects' the NRC could be less than impressed of.
Story was a Enga was touring the site in initial construct days, drove the machine into a heavy work area, pedestal crane operator was directed to send the hook which was attached to the running Carryall's hitch then lifted on end and deposited in a cut being backfilled, a D7 and three pans then crushed and covered it up when the enga returned 'Nobody Knew Nothin' and the mystery began.

“Night shift must have grabbed that Ute!”

Kiwi-truckwit

They just started teasing some new episodes. I’m anxious to see how good they are. Refined was awesome in the beginning but man did it get weird!
Just watched the 2nd episode on Facebook. Seems like it's actually going to have a storyline through the series, rather than unconnected episodes

hvy 1ton

Just watched the 2nd episode on Facebook. Seems like it's actually going to have a storyline through the series, rather than unconnected episodes
The original episodes were supposed to be teasers of a full length movie.

I did too. My boys started watching until the F bombs started lol.
Aussies are... creative with their speaking