• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Junkyard's work thread.....maybe haha

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Difference between mechanic and service technician?
THIS
View attachment 188833
That picture looks like the nightmare under the hood of the Cat 980K they got at the quarry a year or so before I retired! Glade I got out before anything major happened to it!

Just wonder what the bill is going to be when it comes due for major repair?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A LOT, start peeling the $100's early!! My thought as well on that 'Tech' Engine, appeared a Marine installation gone awry!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
In my neighborhood the service tech would change oil and filters. If it couldn't be fixed with a computer the service tech would lay off the job on a mechanic.

StanRUS

2019 Return of Two-Stokes. Two Pete test rigs operating in the real world by Walmart, Tyson Foods.

Truck Shop

That's just a takeaway from one of these engines and they need too add more crap to it and make a four cylinder to get the power and torque up.

8cd74b81de7bc44cc615c887ec09c4af.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Fairbanks Morse built opposed piston two stroke diesels for decades, not a new technology and still as dirty just added catalyst systems to clean it up. The advantage by FM was getting the power from twin crankshafts to decrease the space needs. Were THE engine in the WWII and late WWI US Subs fleets.

crane operator

Everything old is new again. JLG introduced a damper door to shut off engine intake air as a protection system:

JLG NOW OFFERS POSITIVE AIR SHUT OFF SYSTEM
Current Press Releases
Wednesday, July 25, 2018
McConnellsburg, Pa. — July 25, 2018 — JLG Industries, Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation company [NYSE:OSK] and a leading global manufacturer of aerial work platforms and telehandlers, is pleased to announce the availability of a Positive Air Shut Off system designed to prevent diesel engines from having runaway situations.

The positive air shut off system is ideal for applications where flammable materials could potentially be drawn into the air intake system, resulting in potential engine damage.

“This optional system reduces the risk of potential engine damage,” said John Boehme, JLG senior product manager, telehandlers. “It completely blocks the engine air intake system, cutting off the uncontrolled external fuel source and the air required to keep the engine running.”

It also provides emergency overspeed shutdown protection for diesel engines and is the most effective way to prevent a runaway situation.

For more information about the Positive Air Shut Off system, visit www.jlg.com/en/equipment/telehandlers. To learn more about JLG, visit the company website at www.jlg.com.

kshansen

Occupation
Everything old is new again. JLG introduced a damper door to shut off engine intake air as a protection system:

JLG NOW OFFERS POSITIVE AIR SHUT OFF SYSTEM
Current Press Releases
Wednesday, July 25, 2018
McConnellsburg, Pa. — July 25, 2018 — JLG Industries, Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation company [NYSE:OSK] and a leading global manufacturer of aerial work platforms and telehandlers, is pleased to announce the availability of a Positive Air Shut Off system designed to prevent diesel engines from having runaway situations.

Gee, wish Detroit Diesel had come up with something like that!

kshansen

Occupation
Fairbanks Morse built opposed piston two stroke diesels for decades, not a new technology and still as dirty just added catalyst systems to clean it up. The advantage by FM was getting the power from twin crankshafts to decrease the space needs. Were THE engine in the WWII and late WWI US Subs fleets.
Opposed piston diesel engine, now that is a new idea, OH! WAIT! here is a scan of a page out of a book copyrighted 1936.

opposed piston engine02.jpg

I do like that this is called a "High Speed Diesel" that turns an amazing 1,200 RPM!

John C.

Occupation
I worked on two FM 38ND8 1/8 emergency generator engines in the nuclear powered cruiser I was stationed on in the seventies. They had their problems with polluting the air, especially on startup. Because they had to be at seventy five percent power in about twelve seconds they were equipped with two injectors per cylinder. The white smoke coming out the hole in the side of the ship would belch enough fog to completely engulf a fleet tug boat that was tied onto us one time. A lot of coughing and red eyes on that tug when people started coming out from below decks.

Those engines don't like running with no load or at low idle. There was a three inch drain valve on the bottom of the muffler to drain the oil that had collected inside.

John C.

Occupation
High speed refers to piston speed per lineal foot and not RPM. The Fairbanks engines I worked on were high speed engines and only turned 900 RPM at high idle.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I love the monster oddball stuff like that. In a related note I’ve always wanted an old truck with Hall Scott power. Even if just to look at!

Some of the natural gas stationary engines I’ve hauled around were pretty cool too. I’ve got some monster Waukesha Pierce pistons laying around. I used the wrist pins for wedging tracks tight when hauling machines on a beam.

StanRUS

Fairbanks-Morse OP was knock off of Hugo Junkers Jumo OP series invented 1890 and still used as Sub auxiliary engines (nuke attack class). FM is owned (controlling interest) by MAN; MAN is owned (controlling interest) by VW and CARB's testing is supported by FM, Cummins, Daimler, Caterpillar, Kenworth blah, blah
Scrolling list of members http://calstart.org/

Target 50% BTU fuel efficiency; Cummins with turbo-compounding and heat regeneration is @ 48.5%. OP lab engines are @ 50% plus and exceeding emissions targets. That it the reason for 2 Pete test vehicles; to determine how the engines perform under real world everyday operating conditions.

100 + yr old basic opposed piston design that was 30% more fuel efficient...IMO beats 4 cycle diesels with add-on this, add-on that and issues of reliability.
CAT = Call Another Technician

The late George Szabo (Norco-Fontana Calif...used military surplus parts) bid and won 5 Napier Deltic engines and spare-parts mid 80s. I researched cost for certified overhauls, $180-230K each; price killed that idea for George.

@Jeff,
In Norco front property decorations like horse drawn wagons, buggy, plows are okay. Old Fairbanks pop-pop engine, nope Attractive Nuisance code violation.

PS: Video Dr. James Lemke

Last edited:

StanRUS

@ Truck Stop
More cylinders, nope lose efficiency because cylinder over charging
Cummins development 4 cyl opposed piston for Defense Industry Combat Vehicles
Screenshot_2018-12-02 Opposed Piston Diesel Engines Are Crazy Efficient - YouTube.png
Explanation @ 2:59