• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX200-2 computer question

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
'Nother update. I put everything together today and went to test things out. The pumps won't destroke and it loads the engine up, lots of black smoke and the engine dies when you go to move a function unless you move it at full speed, then she really flies! I also found that if you press the fast warmup button the window washer fluid pump runs... Sooo I pulled the window washer pump relay and all of a sudden everything worked perfect. For about a minute. Now it's back to laboring and pumps not destroking... Gonna do more digging around in the wiring tomorrow to see what I can find. Obviously something got crossed somewhere... If anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear 'em! Thanks!

spitzair

After messing around with it for another 2 days and finding all kinds more issues I've ordered a brand new wiring harness... There are so many bypasses, wiring splices and shortcuts in there that I don't even know where to start fixing them... Me thinks if everything worked before the computer went south and then worked for a minute or 2 I would think all the sensors are working... I'll let everyone know how the new wiring harness works when it gets here.

KenAl

I changed a harness a couple of years ago on a 200-2 and the updated harness came in 2 pieces. The main harness and then a pump area harness. This is a great idea as the harness in the pump area gets a lot of heat and oil and it deteriorates. So now you can replace just that harness. "BUT" when it was ordered I only got the main harness and had to order the pump harness. Delaying the completion of the job. The original harness number should change up to a 2 part harness, but make sure.

spitzair

Yup, I ordered the main harness and the pump harness, should be here Monday or Tuesday. The guy at Wajax was very helpful in telling me everything I'd need. All I need now is a nice sunny day or two so I can change it out as my dad has all kinds of junk in the shop right now that can't be moved, or so he says...

spitzair

Hello again everyone, half the new harness is here, the engine and chassis harness showed up 2 days ago and the cab part is coming tomorrow apparently/hopefully... Yesterday the machine was busy so I didn't do anything on it until this morning. I spent most of the day pulling the old harness out and cramming the new one in! So far it's been going relatively well, although my hands look like I've been in a good fight with a cat... I do have one question here for the experts, which pump solenoid is #1 and #2? My technical manual doesn't tell which is which...
Thanks!

cutting edge

Hello again everyone, half the new harness is here, the engine and chassis harness showed up 2 days ago and the cab part is coming tomorrow apparently/hopefully... Yesterday the machine was busy so I didn't do anything on it until this morning. I spent most of the day pulling the old harness out and cramming the new one in! So far it's been going relatively well, although my hands look like I've been in a good fight with a cat... I do have one question here for the experts, which pump solenoid is #1 and #2? My technical manual doesn't tell which is which...
Thanks!

On the left...counterweight side.

spitzair

Thanks Derek!

Well here's another update. I've managed to pull all the old wiring out and got the chassis harness in. All in all it wasn't as bad as I expected, but still a ton of work! The cab harness showed up first thing yesterday morning too, so it's going in today. Then hopefully I'll report back saying everything is working. Here's a few pictures of the old and new harnesses.

Attachments

• IMG_0357 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0357 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_0364 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0364 (Small).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,105
  • IMG_0366 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0366 (Small).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_0358 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0358 (Small).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_0367 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0367 (Small).JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,047

spitzair

It works!!!

Hooray, it works!!! I managed to get the harness all installed and hooked up, then I just pulled it out of the shop and took the pump out of limp mode, fired it back up and everything works now! :D I want to say a big thank you to all of you who helped me with this project especially Flemmings equipment, 3Doc, KenAl and Cutting edge, I couldn't have done it without your guys' input and ideas and the troubleshooting manual from 3Doc! I hope one day if the need arises I can help all you guys out with a problem. I'm going to put all the panels back on the machine, put the bucket on and go try it out in the bush. I'll take some pictures and post them later on.

Cheers!:drinkup

shopguy

Hello,Ihave an ex 220-3 runs great when cold but after it gets hot all of a sudden will load the engine for no reason with all levers in neutral, .You can turn it off / start up and go sometimes for days allways when hot ,new pump, wiring ohms good between dp sensor &pvc pump & pvc.Both pump solenoids have 18.ohms book gives 15.5 +/-1. are they both bad ?

spitzair

That sounds to me like an intermittent wiring problem. On my -2 all the wiring was completely toast, others have told me that the area in the engine compartment near the muffler is especially prone to problems and indeed it was on my machine. In fact, the new wiring harness I got actually had a seperate engine harness that you can replace instead of having to replace the entire chassis harness because of this known problem. My guess would be that once the machine warms up the wires get heated up and then somewhere lose their continuity and your pumps go to full stroke. I'd start by looking around in your engine and pump area at the harness there. On my new harness there's a big plug right beside the engine and then it runs to the pumps. That part of the harness was only 300 some bucks and pretty easy to change. Hope this helps at least a little...

-3Doc

Occupation
Ticketed HD Mechanic
Hello,Ihave an ex 220-3 runs great when cold but after it gets hot all of a sudden will load the engine for no reason with all levers in neutral, .You can turn it off / start up and go sometimes for days allways when hot ,new pump, wiring ohms good between dp sensor &pvc pump & pvc.Both pump solenoids have 18.ohms book gives 15.5 +/-1. are they both bad ?

That sounds like displacement solenoids to me. The coils tend to break down from the heat when they are older and then they stick, but when cooled off they are fine. I would change them both out!

mlepatron

Spitzair, congrats on the repair! It sure sounds like you've been through that whole machine a dozen times over by now...she better be good for another 15 years for you I hope. My father-in-law has an identical machine (EX200-2) and I think he has a VERY similar problem. He has replaced ALL sensors, rebuilt the entire pump, he even convinced his mechanic from Wayjax to plug in a new computer just to see if that was it, but it only proved that his own computer is still working fine.

What I'm looking for though is either a service manual for this machine or electrical schematics so that we can dig into her and find where the problem lies. Is there anyone out there who would have an electronic copy of the wiring schematics???

Otherwise, Spitzair, where did you order your shiny new wiring harnesses from, and how much did they set you back? (or ahead now that your machine is running! :) )

spitzair

mlepatron
I got my harness from Wajax, and if I remember right it was in the neighbourhood of about $2600 give or take for all 3 parts (Engine, Chassis and Cab). If your machine is anything like mine I'd reccomend to just go and replace the harness, especially with all new sensors, that way you know everything is good. I tried to repair my harness, I spent several days working on it and quite a bit of cash but it just wouldn't work. The rest of my machine was in top condition and as soon as I had a new computer and harness in it it ran and worked like it should. I still didn't get a chance to operate it for more than about half an hour myself but a friend of mine used it for about 30 hours and he said it works perfect. Good luck, let us know how you make out!

mlepatron

Thanks spitzair! I'm not too sure how keen the Pa n'law will be to drop another $2600 since he's already into the repairs for somewhere between $6000-$8000 already...but who knows. I'll run it by him and see what he says. He's really trying to find the electrical schematics for the beast to test continuities and resistance through the circuits...a LONG and laborious task at best, but I think you're right about replacing the whole bit.

Again, if anyone out there knows where to find the electrical schematics for a EX200-2, either a hard-copy, download, faxed copy, hand delivered copy, or even by donkey train or dog-sled, it would be GREATLY appreciated! I'll let everyone know how it goes and if he gets it running before he decides to sell it.

mlepatron

I'll check into that rgl726. I would like to think that this is something his Deere mechanic would have already tried, but I'll ask anyways.

spitzair

For what it's worth I think the $2600 will be money well spent. I wish I would have done it right away instead of messing around with it for as long as I did, but then again hindsight is always 20-20... At least with the new wiring harness you know you won't have any wiring issues and if the sensors and computers are known to be good and you had the pumps rebuilt pretty much the only thing it can be is the wiring itself. I do have some electrical schematics, if you PM me your email I'll try to get them to you.

spitzair

So I finally got a chance to run it myself for the first time since the repairs, and everything works as it should. The only thing I noticed is that the fast warmup light doesn't go out. Doesn't really seem to affect the operation of the machine though. It's fast and smooth and has plenty of power. Here's a few pictures of the old girl in action.

Attachments

• DSC_1114 (Large) (Small).JPG
    DSC_1114 (Large) (Small).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 810
  • DSC_1115 (Large) (Small).JPG
    DSC_1115 (Large) (Small).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 826
  • DSC_1116 (Large) (Small).JPG
    DSC_1116 (Large) (Small).JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 807
  • DSC_1117 (Large) (Small).JPG
    DSC_1117 (Large) (Small).JPG