• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX200-2 computer question

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Update -
I took the old resistor out of the computer and found somewhere that it's a 4 Watt 10 Ohm resistor that popped. So I hauled it into town and lo and behold the local TV repair fellow had one! He even installed it for me right there on the spot! I was thrilled! On the way home I stopped by a friend's place and he has a heel grapple for me, I'm going to pick it up in the next few days! When I came back home I dove into it again and found a bunch of likely culprits to the problem: Somebody had gone in there and "fixed" a bunch of wiring. They for some reason cut EVERY wire going into the control console and put a 4" splice in it, but the way they did it I'm surprised there hasn't been any electrical fires in the machine. They just wrapped the wires together, wrapped a wrap or 2 of electrical tape around it and carried on. They also did this to numerous wires behind the seat and all over the place on the machine. As soon as anything oil based comes near that electrical tape the glue dissolves and the tape slips away. I found many bare joints and I'm sure will find tons more as I continue going through it. I spent the entire day repairing these joints and splices with proper heat shrink butt splices. Hopefully that's where the problem is, and if not I WILL find it and let everybody know!
Cheers!

spitzair

Thanks rgl726, I'll definitely let you know if I need anything.
So here's what I found this morning under the engine: What you're looking at in the 2nd and 3rd pictures are the main wires coming from the battery on their way to the cab and in the first and last 2 pictures is the wiring harness that goes over to the pumps. The same guy who "wired" the cab was also in here and worked his magic. No wonder the computer blew; bare wires and short circuits galore! I wonder what else I'm going to find.........

Attachments

• HPIM6983 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6983 (Small).JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • HPIM6984 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6984 (Small).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,120
  • HPIM6985 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6985 (Small).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • HPIM6986 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6986 (Small).JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • HPIM6987 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6987 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,114
Last edited:

spitzair

Just a couple more pictures. This is the harness going to the pumps. The first picture is what it looked like when everything got a drink of brakeclean, the second is after I spliced everything back together and the third is all done in that spot... More to come tomorrow.
:drinkup

Attachments

• HPIM6999 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6999 (Small).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • HPIM6996 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6996 (Small).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,110
  • HPIM6990 (Small).JPG
    HPIM6990 (Small).JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,106

spitzair

Ok, got most of the wiring repaired, now I've run into another issue: The big battery relay in the back goes "CLUNK" when I turn the key on but when I go to crank the starter everything goes dark and the fuse for the live wire from the battery blows. If I bypass the relay everything works as it should except now I can't shut the power off... For some reason the relay lets enough power through to light everything up, but not enough to turn the starter. I took it apart and cleaned, sandblasted, etc. all the contacts and put it all back together and same thing again... I ordered a new one but I'm hoping somebody might have some suggestions on what else I can do as those relays aren't cheap... I'm open to any suggestions!
Thanks.

spitzair

Still not working, running out of ideas...

Ok guys, what am I missing here? I've repaired all the poor wiring splices I could find and fixed all kinds of other wiring issues I found. So today I plugged the computer in, turned the key and whamo, there goes the fuse. Disconnected everything back at the pumps and the control valve, installed a new fuse, tried again, and wouldn't you know it, the fuse blew again. :Banghead I am going to dig around in it more tomorrow... If in the mean time anybody has any other ideas I'd love to hear them!
Thanks.

-3Doc

Occupation
Ticketed HD Mechanic
Phone Leemar and see if they might have a used harness and start over! 250-248-2611:)

KenAl

There are pressure sensors on the pilot system below and behind the cab. Also very common is the swing dampener valve solenoid being shorted. Most have been disconnected. You should have 2 #4 pilot lines coming off the top of the swing motor going to the valve. Unplug the electrical from it and I would go so far as to take the 2 pilot lines off and cap the fittings. You will not notice anything.

spitzair

Thanks fellas, 3doc, that's definitely something I'm gonna consider if I can't get this one fixed... Ken, it's not this either, I unplugged every single component and still blow the fuse so now I'm going to ring out all the different circuits and see if I can't find the culprit that way. Fuse doesn't blow with the pvc disconnected cutting edge... I'll report back with what I find...

cutting edge

Your pvc is borked there,Spitzair....I fought with one like this up on the Ashlu for a bit...the only remedy was replacing the pvc.

Get a supply post newspaper (they usually have them at the general store in Brackendale) and start calling the wreckers/used suppliers in the classified section.

-3Doc

Occupation
Ticketed HD Mechanic
Your pvc is borked there,Spitzair....I fought with one like this up on the Ashlu for a bit...the only remedy was replacing the pvc.

Get a supply post newspaper (they usually have them at the general store in Brackendale) and start calling the wreckers/used suppliers in the classified section.

Leemar probably has a used pvc, Do you need the wiring diagrams.:)

spitzair

PVC Toast

Well I think I have it narrowed down to the controller being fubar... I disconnected the entire wiring harness in the cab and ran power to it alone through it's fuse and still heats up R1 and then POP goes the fuse... So I guess I'm gonna be investing in a new/slightly-used-but-hopefully-still-good PVC... Is there anybody around that could possibly repair my PVC that you guys know of?
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I really appreciate it!:drinkup

cutting edge

Might be a good day to go poking around the old logging company yards and shops for a retired/abandoned machine that could be a donor.

I can think of a few right now......

rgl726

Well I think I have it narrowed down to the controller being fubar... I disconnected the entire wiring harness in the cab and ran power to it alone through it's fuse and still heats up R1 and then POP goes the fuse... So I guess I'm gonna be investing in a new/slightly-used-but-hopefully-still-good PVC... Is there anybody around that could possibly repair my PVC that you guys know of?
Thanks for all the help so far guys, I really appreciate it!:drinkup

i can supply you a brand new OEM PVC.

spitzair

Well I've got a new PVC on it's way... Hopefully that will solve the issue! In the mean time I've found a nice heel grapple, at least it will be nice once I fix it up a bit! A friend of mine had it sitting in his yard and gave it to me. I'll need to fabricate some ears and replace all the hydraulic lines on it. Also it looks like somebody may have cut the rotator motor's shaft, either that or it sheared off somehow... I'll have to take it apart and fix it. That brings up another question - how much trouble is it to add a second auxilliary circuit to the EX200-2? I've already got the second pilot valve and switches on the left control lever but the actual second aux. valve is not there, or if it is I haven't found it... It has the piping up the boom but it's been capped off so obviously not used in some time... If anybody knows where I could find an extra valve for a good price I'd love to hear from you! And where do I plumb it in? There's a short flange mount hydraulic fitting on the right side of the main valve that's been welded shut, I'll try to get a picture when I get a chance. I'm just in camp right now so might take a while...
Here's a few pictures of the grapple.

Attachments

• HPIM7144 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    HPIM7144 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 924
  • HPIM7143 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    HPIM7143 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 914
  • HPIM7147 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    HPIM7147 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 918
  • HPIM7146 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    HPIM7146 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 912
  • HPIM7145 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    HPIM7145 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 925

cutting edge

Your control valve has an aux. section in it that you would normally run out to the grapple,assuming it has a valve in head,and would the require a second sure grip handle,D01 valve and electrical run out to the valve on the grapple.

Youre going to run into trouble figuring out pressures and flows required for that grapple as it is.

If I'd known you wanted a machine that could log as well as dig,I would have told you about a decent,local machine that would suit your needs an budget ages ago,that runs and needs minor work,not like the clapped out 200 you're stuck with now. :lol:

Last edited:

spitzair

If I'd known you wanted a machine that could log as well as dig,I would have told you about a decent,local machine that would suit your needs an budget ages ago,that runs and needs minor work,not like the clapped out 200 you're stuck with now. :lol:

Do tell! I don't think this thing is clapped out in the least, just needs some TLC... But I'd probably still be interested in the local machine too! The grapple just sort of came along out of nowhere, wasn't really planning on getting one as I had just planned to run the machine as is with the thumb... But I couldn't pass up on the grapple...
Cheers!

Last edited:

spitzair

Update on this machine, I finally managed to get home late last night after being away for 3 months and put the new computer in this afternoon. With fear and nervousness I turned on the key expecting a flash, boom and a cloud of smoke but much to my delight all that happened was the LED inside the computer flashed on 1 second, then off 1 second, and kept doing exactly that. No fuse blew, nothing got hot, no smoke escaped and my pulse returned to a more normal rate. I started the engine and the same flash sequence continued, so I'm hoping all is well. It started to rain cats and dogs about that time so I called it a day, tomorrow I'll flip the little rod in the pump around so it can go to full stroke and then I'll give 'er a whirl! Fingers crossed i got this thing fixed! I'll update everyone once I test things out!