• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX200-2 computer question

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hello guys,
I've recently found a Hitachi EX200-2 for sale, a 1993 model, with a blown computer. The seller tells me there's a capacitor that blew up in the bottom computer. Are these computers hard to find and what would I expect to pay for one? What are the chances of just soldering in a new capacitor and the rest of the computer being OK? Just wanna get my ducks in a row before I go take a look at this machine...

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
Should be able to find one at a salvage fairly easy. Is that the one on kijiji.

KenAl

Hold on there! There are I believe about 6 different PVC for that machine (EX200-2). The computer and the valve bank are matched. You have to have the right one for your serial number machine. Hopefully the valve bank has not been changed out. Had one machine with a wrong PVC for its serial number and it operated even worse than it ever did until he got the right one. Capacitor or a resistor gone? I have changed out the resistor AFTER I fixed the reason it blew.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Well, she's mine now :) Lowbed is going to pick it up on the weekend. I wasn't able to go inspect it in person but a friend who is very knowlegeable with equipment looked at it for me and told me it's well worth what I paid for it so I went for it. KenAl, the serial number is 147-70690, do you know what part number computer will work with it? From what I can gather it's the original valve bank... I'm scouring the used market for a computer now just in case I can't fix the old one...

Last edited:
Dash 2 machines can be a headache

First you will want to find the reason that the computer popped. Probably the wirring harness. I would check around the pumps because the muffler is right there and when they rot out they tend to blow hot exhaust on the harness.

You can give me a call at 604 856 8281 and we can try to figure this out if you want.

Good luck

KenAl

The part number for that SN: machine is 9125533. Flemings is right you want to find out why it blew. One common problem I have seen many times is the Angle Sensor gets hot and the circuit shorts the power and ground popping the 1 amp fuse for the PVC. (PUMP Valve Controller). Some one puts in a bigger fuse and a resister in the PVC goes. I have replaced it many times but cannot remember the Ohms and the Wattage, been a while. You can also have a pressure sensor shorted to ground and have the same problem.

sasman

I have a 200-3 with similar problems.Machine worked good on saturday and when i started on sunday the hydraulics were very slow,so slow that loading wouldnt be possible.Looked for something obvious but nothing jumped out at me so called dealer and was told they would need to come out and do some tests. I found in the operating manual a procedure where you remove 2 fuses #8 and#9 which i did and it worked good ,only thing is it now kills the engine when cylinders bottom out. Anyone got any ideas ? something else I can check?

I'd put the fuses back in and....

Odds are it's your Angle Sensor because when the angle sensor goes it tends to really slow the hydraulics down put the DP sensor still can load sense and your engine does not stall out.

If you try to re&re the Angle Sensor it is very important that you mark the location of the sensor and put the new one in the exact same location.

You may also have worn forks where the sensor picks up the angle of the plates as they swash forward and back in the head, if this is the case then the pumps need to come apart.

Check that the angle sensor is working by marking the position that it is in and loosen the bolts so that you can adjust the sensor forward or back. You should see a difference in performance when moved if the sensor is working properly. If the adjustment does nothing then you might consider either the angle sensor itself or the wirring as being the problem.

If the DP sensor was cooked then you will have good speed but no load sensing and the engine would stall when you pull a function, and if the pump selenoids were done you would loose only a couple of functions but still load sense and not stall the engine.

Good luck and let us know what you find

sasman

Went back out to machine and when I unplugged the top sensor located on the pump it acted the same as the fuse procedure and was fast but no load sensing and would kill the motor. There is 2 sensors here that are close to eachother but the top one is the one that changed things. Anyone know what this sensor is called? part # and cost? I should check the wires going to it what readings should I get?
thanks

If you mean the sensors that are almost side by side

Those are called the pump selonoids and they will run you a couple of hundred bucks a peice.

sasman

Could get no change when moved angle sensor so removed it and priced out new one $465 .any way to check old one before order new one to make sure its not wires?

Fill me in one more time on what the machine is doing.
If it's a load sensing problem you might want to look at the DP sensor.
A bad angle sensor will keep the engine loaded even when you are not using any functions and a DP sensor will tend to rear it's ugly head when you try to use a function only.

sasman

All the hydraulics are slow,when i remove the 2 fuses that the manual said to get it to a better location everthing speeds up but kills engine when loaded up. I moved the angle sensor to different positions but didnt make a difference. So I am thinking it is angle sensor or wires up to it.

O.k.

I don't recall the test for the angle sensor off the top of my head but it does sound like the angle sensor is pooched.

I wish I could tell you that there is a cheaper alterative but try Brandt Value parts as they are closer to you than I am and talk to Blain Sornson about getting a good take off sensor.

You will have to look the phone number up online as I don't have it readily available

I hope this might ease the pain for you a little.

Good luck and remember that if you require any component rebuilds be it hydraulic or mechanical that you may want to consider sending it our way for the required work. (too bad it costs so much to lowbed that sucker to our shop !)

Good luck

Flemings Equipment Services Inc. 604 856 8281