• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help me with my next dump truck

JDOFMEMI

Jmac

I found this while looking on Ironplanet, and I thought of you and this thread.
http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/219716?h=405,2967

There is a twin to the one link I posted.
I have had good luck on Ironplanet if you read the reports well.

The details I got here are 320,000 miles, looks like some form of Hendrickson suspention. Definately a heavy spec truck. 20K front and 20K lift with 46K rears and 5.38 gears. Sounds plenty heavy to me.
L-10 cummins at 300 Horse. You won't hurt it with that one, but I have had real good luck with the L-10's I have had. Even the one the driver hydro locked while "washing" it under the water tower.
Looks like a 8LL trans as well.

I bet it will go in the 25 to 30K range, maybe less in this market.

jmac

Jerry, thanks thats not a bad looking truck. I went over all the photo's no problems that we couldn.t fix. Did you notice the spreader under the tailgate wonder what that was for? The truck looks to a factory dump with and spec heavy, alum box with liner is good. The color matches my truck I have now. I will watch that action, NH is close to me also. It that truck goes for mid 20's that would be a good deal, only thing bad is the 300 hp a little under powered, any one know this motor? Cummings L10? The suspension looks to be block or are those air bags?
Thanks Jerry for the help.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
We had 300hp L10 motors at the freight company I drove for. It was first used with my company in '89 and the first trucks had cooling issues which led to head gasket problems. It's a single head too so changing the gasket was quite a job. Once White worked out the cooling deficiencies, these trucks were as reliable as the NTC engines we had prior.

We grossed 80,000 pounds and ran the Hudson Valley with all the rolling hills and mountains. We weren't the fastest trucks on the road, but not the slowest either.

busdrivernine

Well after tossing it around and talking to the owner (my wife ) we have decide that with soft job market with the jobs that are out there we have decided to wait till we have got our Pete paid off before buying something else that way if the job market goes to crap at least we can make the payments on the Pete if we had another truck then we would be scatching trying to make 2 payments Does that makes any sence? or am I just scared to stick my neck out a bit father that I want too . Worked too dam hard to be able to go to our banker and ask them for 40,000 dollars and they say yes amost before I finish my sentence of asking for the money . Thansk for all the replies tony

Deershack

I'm looking at a 81 F-800 dump with a 6 yd box, 11' plow and a UTG sander. 85,000 miles but only 2,500 on a new 429 engine. Apparently it has only been used to plow a feed store lot for the last 3 yrs which the owner no longer owns. He says the tires are "great" and it has a new master cly. He is asking $6,700 for it. Anyone have any ideas as to if this price is in line and any thoughts on a 429 in this truck?

Dualie

Unless your going to just plow your own parking lot i would run from this one!

429 = Gas guzzling menace. Its a good engine but LOVES fuel. Might be able to rate it in gallons per mile.

AND

New master cylinder = either or on a dump truck would send me packing. Both combined would definitely force me to look else where.

IF it was under a grand and everything worked then MAYBE. Atleast when the truck needed something major you could sell the engine bare block at a swap meet to some sucker and scrap whats left of the rest.

Deershack

Thanks for your reply. I am thinking of only using this truck for sanding. Things are slow up here for my other dump and skid and I"m thinking I might try to make some extra cash this winter. Don't follow your comment on the master cly.

Dualie

my comment on the master cylinder means the truck has hydraulic brakes.

Hydraulic brakes on anything bigger than a pickup are a BAD idea. I know that a brake job on a Lucas girling F-800 can be well over $7000!

bigbob

NH is 64,000# at least when I called thats what they told me.

Had my truck certified for 65,000 lbs the other day in NH. Officer only looked at the line sheet. GVW on the truck is 66,000 lbs. That is the max you can certify a 10 wheeler for in NH.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
:usaFind the newest Mack RB with a 400 and 18 speed in you can get. Second choice Mack CL same way.

JDOFMEMI

JMAC

Did you get one of the trucks on Ironplanet?? I see the one sold to someone in NY

They looked like they were a really good deal.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Are you asking me? If so, no. Have had mine for years.

gradydortch

my first fleet

I'M LOOKING FOR A FINANCE COMPANY THAT WILL FINANCE MY FLEET OF DUMP TRUCKS. I'M A START UP DUMP TRUCK BUSINESS AND I'M LOOKING FOR A FINANCE COMAPNY THAT WILL WORK ONLY IN THE BUSINESS WITH NO PERSONAL GUARANTEE. gradydortch@hotmail.com

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I'M LOOKING FOR A FINANCE COMPANY THAT WILL FINANCE MY FLEET OF DUMP TRUCKS. I'M A START UP DUMP TRUCK BUSINESS AND I'M LOOKING FOR A FINANCE COMAPNY THAT WILL WORK ONLY IN THE BUSINESS WITH NO PERSONAL GUARANTEE. gradydortch@hotmail.com

Why you shouting?? someone stand on your tail

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Don't yell to loud.

No. 1, Why do you even want to get into the dump truck business? How big of a fleet do you want? Is there a history of insanity in your family for wanting to get in the dump truck business and put up with the bloody hired driver nightmare?

No bank is going to back you without you guaranteeing the loans, especially if you are a start up operation.

Boophoenix

START UP DUMP TRUCK BUSINESS
Unless you have an ace in the hole on this idea you may want to wait a little while. By this I mean unless you have a long term contract with someone that'll use the trucks it's not a very good time right now.

I had the bad timing of starting up just over two years ago as the bottom was begining to fall. I've been lucky and lucked into enough work to stay alive, but haven't ever really turned a lot of profit. I'm still wondering hopw alot of guys are still making it with truck payments. I have one but mine is real low if I just wanna pay the intrest when things are slow.

On top of that if fuel makes another run like it did it gets in the pocket fast. Since last April fuel is up 50 cents a gallon here. This time last year I was spending half of everything I made a day in just fuel. If it got any higher than that I had to decline running it anymore.

That came to 300 for fuel
if you were paying a driver 150
that leaves you 150 for the rest of the things: tags, insurance, and
upkeep, and truck payments

Best of luck if ya work it out though.

Chadro77

I know this thread is a little old but here is my 2 cents. I've run all kinds of Macks and the best one I've been in was a 1997 CH with the 454 and an 8LL. Had plenty of power and rarely had any maint. issues. I've run Mack 350's, 454's, 370's, 427's, 460's and the new MP7. The 350 wins the reliability hands down but the 454 gets the best all around. The 460 was powerful but had ALOT of mechanical issues, The 427 was a dog all around. This was in Ga hauling a max of 64,000 lbs though. When I was running huge loads in Mo, I was running a W900 with a C15 and it was great. Thirsty though.