• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help me with my next dump truck

jmac

I own a 89 mack rd690 and I think that for that vintage the rd690 was the most realiable truck made in 1989. The truck has been very tough truck, no comfort but tough. I am ready to upgrade and the time couldn't be better to buy. I want a late 90's to early 2000 truck. Can anyone give a make and model that for that vintage stands out as a tough realiable truck? I am not looking for a truck debate just any one that knows late 90's trucks. Any trucks to stay away from, I think I have to move away from Mack from what I have been told.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
trucks

I own a 89 mack rd690 and I think that for that vintage the rd690 was the most realiable truck made in 1989. The truck has been very tough truck, no comfort but tough. I am ready to upgrade and the time couldn't be better to buy. I want a late 90's to early 2000 truck. Can anyone give a make and model that for that vintage stands out as a tough realiable truck? I am not looking for a truck debate just any one that knows late 90's trucks. Any trucks to stay away from, I think I have to move away from Mack from what I have been told.
You are correct, those old Macks are tough and rough riding
I have owned about 15 trucks and the Ford L9000 is my pick. Easier to work on and lots of parts available. I spent less money on the Fords, than any other. Good engine is the Cat 3306, its now a power house, so if you need to pull hills, go with the Cat 3406, more fuel, but lots more power. 8LL is my pick on the tranny, but I work mostly flatland areas, so I dont have to pull hills, just off road alot
My 2 cents

jmac

Thanks Willis I didn't think Ford, I was thinking Pete, KW, Western but Ford would be cheaper to buy. I do pull hills and want a tri to haul 22 ton and a 20 ton tag. I was thinking 400 hp and 8ll min. The trucks I have looked at have 300,000 mile or so, a realiable truck to begin with and pre big emmision. I have found that trucking on the slow days pays bills and need to haul 22 ton instead of 15 ton if I want to run the truck when ever site work is slow. I will keep the old Mack it owes me nothing, million miles on it.

Pecord Exc

Go with a Pete or KW, the ford is too much for a flatland truck, we have a 97 RD 690 and that truck is great, but as i said you need some hp up there, my uncle is near oneonta and he only runs a pete with a 700 hp cat and a 13 sp. road ranger tranny,

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
I'd personally tell you to go with a Volvo, just make sure you get one with a cummins in it. We've got several w/ cummins and several w/ the Volvo VED7 motors and the VED7 motors are some great running little motors, but they've got some issues that'll make you sit back and say "why the heck did they design it like that"

jmac

I looked at Volvo, the Mack dealer had one but had air bags so I passed. The rest of the truck looked good but I do a lot of off road, the old Mack has yet to get stuck, one nice thing about only 10 wheels and no lift axle with rear lockers, much newer trucks are stuck on the same job site.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Look at the IH Paystar too. That's a tough old truck designed for severe service. I have to admit though that the L series Ford was my favorite truck to drive. Visibility is great and the dash is laid out easy to read plus the turning radius can't be beat.

nedly05

Think of service too. What is the closest dealer that will be able to work on the truck? We went with the Mack, and to get serviced I have top go to VT, so I have to get a permit, not a real big deal but... Our next truck will most likely be a Western Star. There is a dealer about an hour away, you see more stars around here than anything. Good Luck, and we will need to see some pics!!!

Yellow Metal

If it's of any use you can check out the various specs and run comparisons at Spec Check.

They have a huge amount of machine specs and a comparison tool. If you email them they can set you up with full access for a limited time.

jmac

I have heard good things about WS late 90's trucks. Hows the Mack doing ? At one time I dreamed of a Granit. Not alot of WS here mostly Mack, Pete, Kenworth, Ford, Paystar. We have a Mack, Pete, International, Freighliner dealers but the Mack dealer stocks used dump trucks. I am looking state wide if not all over the east coast, my 89 came from Kentucky. The only truck I have been told to stay away from is the Mack.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
trucks

Thanks Willis I didn't think Ford, I was thinking Pete, KW, Western but Ford would be cheaper to buy. I do pull hills and want a tri to haul 22 ton and a 20 ton tag. I was thinking 400 hp and 8ll min. The trucks I have looked at have 300,000 mile or so, a realiable truck to begin with and pre big emmision. I have found that trucking on the slow days pays bills and need to haul 22 ton instead of 15 ton if I want to run the truck when ever site work is slow. I will keep the old Mack it owes me nothing, million miles on it.

I guess my favorite truck was my 95 KW T800, quad. It was a repoed truck and someone had chromed it out. Cat 3406, lots of power. I bought the quad, because, in my area everything is going to tonnage and the tandems just dont do it. It had the new style walker beams and it didnt ride that bad. I still likethe Fords, for my work, even though I also have a International and a Sterling, all quads. I had a older WS and a 99 paystar, they were too heavy for me, to haul the tonnage I need to haul. Almost 2500 lbs difference. There is no local truck dealers close to my area and it doesnt seem to be a issue for me. The local repair shop can get the parts they need (if they dont have it) most dealers will have to order the parts anyway.

Just my 2 cents worth

Dualie

what ever you do don't buy a converted road tractor. Buy a truck that was spec'd as a dump from the get go. with the right suspension and severe service parts to survive the job

My preference will always be towards paccar as their huck bolted frames and fabricated vs stamped cabs just hold up better.

nedly05

I have heard good things about WS late 90's trucks. Hows the Mack doing ? At one time I dreamed of a Granit. Not alot of WS here mostly Mack, Pete, Kenworth, Ford, Paystar. We have a Mack, Pete, International, Freighliner dealers but the Mack dealer stocks used dump trucks. I am looking state wide if not all over the east coast, my 89 came from Kentucky. The only truck I have been told to stay away from is the Mack.

Scared to jix myself! Nothing major yet, just a little engine brake issue, and I need to have a rear wheel seal replaced. If it werent for tight quarters everywhere we work a tri-axle would be much better for us. The way our truck is spec'd really has worked well for us for the most part, it would be nice to be able to run 22 Ton though.

tippatone

Occupation
Future heavy equipment operator
If you shopping something 2000 and better the KW T800 w/ either Cat c11,c13, or c15 or the cummings. Or you can get a 90's version Western Star 4900 and get the cummings n14 engine. With either you can get the job done.

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
What does qball think??

jmac

The KW is real nice, a freind of mine has two just like that one, the International nice but a lift axle is what I am looking for. Tri,s stop better, ride better and I want to work the truck more when competing against other trucks that are tri, just a mind set here but I have not worked becasue my truck is a not a tri.. Find a truck just like that KW for 60k. I would also like to have air to the back for trailer but can add that. Coal shutes are nice and has to have AC.