• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

help me with my next dump truck

jmac

Thanks Tonka, and Trippatone all of those truck are real nice but they have air ride and I wanted to stay away from air. I spend a lot of time on site and no pavement and can be very rough and soft condition. A double frame, spring, factory dump would be best. Kinda hard to find bit they are out there, under 500,000 mile, under 300,000 would be real good.

daugherty102

Occupation
Equipment operator
well my two cents is if u want something that u can do some work one like oil changes, turbo swaps, etc. and u want the manufacturer to stand behind the truck STAY AWAY from sterling. we bought one brand new in 2000 and have had nothing but problems trying to work on it and freightliner told us "we sell trucks, not work on them"

nedly05

I know you werent considering a mack, but this granite is in clifton park. Already has the permit, and a third axle could easily be added. Take a look.Not a bad deal!!

www.wantaddigest.com
its under heavy duty trucks.
Add looks like this:
MACK CV7 2004
tandem axle, 1800# f/a, 44000# r/a, 16' steel ox body, 10spd overweight permit, 18T, 83.8kmi,
$69000 B/O Clifton Park, NY

Attachments

• Mack Granite.jpg
    Mack Granite.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 563

bigbob

I know you werent considering a mack, but this granite is in clifton park. Already has the permit, and a third axle could easily be added. Take a look.Not a bad deal!!

www.wantaddigest.com
its under heavy duty trucks.
Add looks like this:
MACK CV7 2004
tandem axle, 1800# f/a, 44000# r/a, 16' steel ox body, 10spd overweight permit, 18T, 83.8kmi,
$69000 B/O Clifton Park, NY

What can you register a truck for in NY state. Total GVW on this truck is 62,000 lbs, assuming the front axle is 18,000 lbs? In NH you can go to 65,000 lbs for a 10 wheeler, and 73,000 lbs for a tri axle.
Plus it has an OX body, so it proably is a southeren truck without body heat.
The pick up truck interior is easy to clean. Doing site work the trucks always get dusty inside.

PSDF350

What can you register a truck for in NY state. Total GVW on this truck is 62,000 lbs, assuming the front axle is 18,000 lbs? In NH you can go to 65,000 lbs for a 10 wheeler, and 73,000 lbs for a tri axle.
The pick up truck interior is easy to clean. Doing site work the trucks always get dusty inside.

NH is 64,000# at least when I called thats what they told me.

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
I use to drive an '87 Pete 359 10-wheeler with the 8LL....i loved that truck...I'm not sure of the engine it in...but we replaced our '76 Mack with it...the Mack could run circles around it as far as power but I both those trucks were work horses...older Petes are just as tough as the Macks in my own opinion

nedly05

You would have to get an overeweight permit to lisence it for the full 62K, otherwise the max you could register is for would be like 54K or so, they use the bridge formula to determine it. With a lift axle added I would think it could be lisenced for 70K or so. I think thats a decent truck, and a decent price. I think I might be the only Mack fan on the board!! Plus I found a Mack dealer right near the WS dealer about an hour or so away!

PSDF350

You would have to get an overeweight permit to lisence it for the full 62K, otherwise the max you could register is for would be like 54K or so, they use the bridge formula to determine it. With a lift axle added I would think it could be lisenced for 70K or so. I think thats a decent truck, and a decent price. I think I might be the only Mack fan on the board!! Plus I found a Mack dealer right near the WS dealer about an hour or so away!

Around here it 55k but with over wieght permit it is 64k. Then with a tri you can hual with over wieght 73k. As for you being only mack lover, not so I think they are a great truck there tough as nails and I also like there look. But from my childhood memories I don't ever remember them being at all comfortble. Also am a huge fan of the autocar.

nedly05

Around here it 55k but with over wieght permit it is 64k. Then with a tri you can hual with over wieght 73k. As for you being only mack lover, not so I think they are a great truck there tough as nails and I also like there look. But from my childhood memories I don't ever remember them being at all comfortble. Also am a huge fan of the autocar.

The R models are not comfortable at all, the granite is very comfortable, I think anyway. I was driving a GMC 7500 before that and that sucker is uncomfortable. I get reminded once in a while when I hafta drive it!

bigbob

I thought it was 64K also, but last time I was in the Epping DMV I asked and was told 65K. Was going to wait till Aug 1 to register, then I will know. Clerk could not tell me how much $$ till she put in the computer. 55k was something like $555, but has gone up to "help balance the budget", obviously there's, not mine!!

WesternStar

I would recommend a Western Star, but I am obviously biased haha. Everything I've heard about KW T800's has been good as well. What part of central NY are you from? I live in Steuben County, and as far as ordering parts for my Star, Tracey Road Equipment, and Cook Brothers Trucks have been able to get anything I need. Each of these companies have a few locations throughout the area.

busdrivernine

I have a 88 Pete 379 with a cummins BC IV 400 with a 15 spd OD with 4:11's 15ft Davis dump bed and it does great . but wanting to upgrade to a newer truck found a 2003 Volvo VHD64 F with the D12 volvo motor rated @395 hp , it has a RTO 14709LL withT ride susupension and 4:65 rears geared low but boy it should be great in a pit also has 20,000 frt and I think it was 44 or 46 rears .

amunderdog

The mention of the Volvo engine made me do a quick search: "D12 volvo motor reliability"
What made me curious was that the companies i was around all got out of Volvo power.
Expensive parts and hard to find a mechanic for.
Anyway the general reply to this motor is that it is a dog. Gets fair fuel milage but has trouble with heavy loads and mountians.
Thanks for helping me stay up to date.
Sounds like a nicely speced truck other than the motor.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
Ditto what amunderdog said regarding the engine. Other than the engine, it sounds like a great truck. The T-ride suspension is one of the best. A little expensive to rebuild, but is tough and gives a good ride. The 9LL will do everything you want and with the OD you will be OK on the top end.
Before I bought my Western Star, I seriously looked at a truck very similar to the one you describe, but backed out due to the motor.