• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

@crane operator they are replacing the bridge at the bottom of the hill from me. Tiny little 2-lane over a creek by the hatchery. They are doing 1 lane at a time as it's the only [paved] way off the hill. I saw a boom dolly on one of the turnouts and got down there- LTM 1160! It's longer than the bridge is! Seems to me a bit much to lift some little pre-stress I's. I'll try and get a pic next time I'm down there.

Crummy

So I go out today to fire up the dump for some gravel & notice a big spot underneath- fuel filter water separator is leaking at the drain valve. Check online, the NAPA in town has one (supposedly) in stock. run down, there's a sign on the door "Closed due to being unable to find employees, sorry Mike. Kamiah is still open.". Oh FFS this is getting ridiculous. Head out another 14mi to the other store- sign on the door "This store is now open 8-5 M-F closed Sat-Sun due to lack of employees".
Luckily, got the filter.
This BS going on is really, really bad.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My son in law works at the VA hospital in Spokane. Says they are being used to some extent to cover people out of Idaho. All the big hospitals are full with locals and patients being transferred out of northern Idaho. I think most would rather work than have to spend time in an ICU. My wife had a knee replaced a month ago and it was day surgery. Dropped her off at 5:30 AM and picked her up at 12:30 PM. She went from prep, to operating room, to recovery to our car. The joint floor of the hospital was taken up by Covid patients. Hopefully, those with the bug will recover and go back to work soon. At my age, slowing down for those companies that are short handed is not a bother.

Crummy

I'm not going to lay all the blame on lazy people collecting unemployment. I think a lot of it may be fear.
I have almost no interaction with people so I'm lucky.
Guy in front of me the other day at the fuel pumps was raging about he was on his way to pick up his sister to go see his mom in the hospital- older vaccinated & wore a mask & still got the crud and on a ventilator "what's th f'n point!!!!". That kind of thing gets around people get worried. Heck, my first reaction was to want to take a few steps back.

skyking1

Wife is in the business, she gets filled in on census info. Three weeks ago her org the west side hospitals had 197 covid patients, and one was not vaccinated. The east side was not so dramatic, 76 and 4 were vaccinated.
People still get sick with the vaccine, but the numbers are really clear on it. We also have a friend, her husband was vaccinated and he was 10 days in the hospital and feeling like coming home, then it turned bad and he was gone the next day. It happens.
They are taking non-covid cases from Spokane to Seattle to make room in the ICUs in Spokane for patients from Idaho. It is quite fortunate that there is some capacity over here yet.
They have shut down all non-emergency surgeries now, @John C. your wife was lucky on that timing.

Crummy

My cousin called me last night to let me know my uncle had passed (not his dad). We reminisced about growing up. He was born in 1928, poverty, war, started making his own way as an 'entrepreneur' at 14 and never quit, lived all but the last 8 days of his life independent, his twin daughters & wife passed before him and he continued on somehow. Any troubles currently are nothing compared to what he went through. I'll never live up to his example. RIP Uncle Bob.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Wife is in the business, she gets filled in on census info. Three weeks ago her org the west side hospitals had 197 covid patients, and one was vaccinated. The east side was not so dramatic, 76 and 4 were vaccinated.
People still get sick with the vaccine, but the numbers are really clear on it.
Same verdict here, vaccine doesn't stop anyone getting it but for most it turns the potentially fatal into something a lot milder. Currently 340 active cases on The Rock out of a population of just over 85k. Out of that number there are only 5 people in hospital and nobody in ICU or on ventilation. Just over 90% of the adult population here is vaccinated.

Crummy

Mom & dad were going on (before I was around) around the table at a gathering "when I was growing up, we were so poor...."
Mom ('40's NorCal) "we were so poor with the windows & doors closed in the house the cat could still come in!"
Dad ('30's Virginia) "you had doors and windows?"

Crummy

Rained like mad yesterday so I went out to my 3/4 completed shop and figured I'd work on some of the projects I'd put aside because "that will be a good thing to do on a rainy day, I'll put it off". Got discouraged with all the things I'd put off and worked on the snow plow for the mini truck instead.