• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So far had a 5", a 12" and a few minor 2-4" snows here, mostly wet heavy pack in snows so far. A few dustings are typical but the ice storms have been all TOO plentiful, third one since October last.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
So far had a 5", a 12" and a few minor 2-4" snows here, mostly wet heavy pack in snows so far. A few dustings are typical but the ice storms have been all TOO plentiful, third one since October last.
We might be getting one of those ice storms today! I'll take two feet of snow over a 1/4 inch of ice any day! Snowblower won't touch ice.

Crummy

Well, woke up this am and it's turned to rain. Heavy rain. Should be a sloppy mess out there now.
Saw on the news that the grocery stores had given up trying to re-stock and were just closing. Two things they couldn't keep in stock- eggs & onions. Onions? People here are weird.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well, woke up this am and it's turned to rain. Heavy rain. Should be a sloppy mess out there now.
Saw on the news that the grocery stores had given up trying to re-stock and were just closing. Two things they couldn't keep in stock- eggs & onions. Onions? People here are weird.

Onions? I could understand if they said beer and pizza but onions? I mean I like onion on my pizza but one large onion would due several pizzas!

TVA

Onions? How far are you from Prosser or Walla-Walla?

Crummy

The day before this all started mom asked(?) me if I would go the store and get cat food. Of course you are out of cat food. So I hit the place just after they open the next day at 0700. Madhouse! Hit the liquor aisle first, priories man. I'm the only one there! Chaos all around, carts loaded with....well onions and eggs I guess. Not one person in the liquor aisle-----

Long story made short- Russian boat crew days late picking up survey crew; why were you late? "Big storm. Clothes wet. Drink Vodka. Vodka gone sleep.....wake up clothes dry storm gone."

TVA

The day before this all started mom asked(?) me if I would go the store and get cat food. Of course you are out of cat food. So I hit the place just after they open the next day at 0700. Madhouse! Hit the liquor aisle first, priories man. I'm the only one there! Chaos all around, carts loaded with....well onions and eggs I guess. Not one person in the liquor aisle-----

Long story made short- Russian boat crew days late picking up survey crew; why were you late? "Big storm. Clothes wet. Drink Vodka. Vodka gone sleep.....wake up clothes dry storm gone."
Well we have your weather down here on Gulf Coast! 64 and drizzling! I love it!!!
When I lived there, a lot of people complained about weather, like my uncle said “we have only two seasons! 9 months of non stop drizzle, and 3 months of scorching heat! I loved it though! People who complained about rain all the time - don’t know what a rain is! Rain here washes out bridge that was finished two weeks ago!!!

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Wife was joking last night that we'll probably be seeing a lot of houses back up for sale come spring (just like every real winter). I said more likely there are real estate folks in Phoenix currently smiling about the jump in inquiries the last week.

Seems like all the coastal folks flooding in love the idea of winter, but get pretty fed up by day 3 when they realize the shovel doesn't get put away for months on end, and Vans aren't good winter shoes.

TVA

Wife was joking last night that we'll probably be seeing a lot of houses back up for sale come spring (just like every real winter). I said more likely there are real estate folks in Phoenix currently smiling about the jump in inquiries the last week.

Seems like all the coastal folks flooding in love the idea of winter, but get pretty fed up by day 3 when they realize the shovel doesn't get put away for months on end, and Vans aren't good winter shoes.
Well I had a dream to build m a cabin somewhere around Flat Head Lake for retirement! It’s not happening now! Seattleites like beautyfull places too! I don’t have that kind of money!

kenh

The locals here still joke about the mass exodus from here after the winter of 1995.
Caravans headed back to the PRK. (peop[les Repuplik of Kali).
I have only been here 11 yrs, "come on Snow!
Probably chain up to plow, ice under the snow.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Well I had a dream to build m a cabin somewhere around Flat Head Lake for retirement! It’s not happening now! Seattleites like beautyfull places too! I don’t have that kind of money!
You and everyone else. I've worked around almost every inch of Flathead, and I don't think there's an empty lot left!

Local folks getting priced out of Spokane, CdA and Sandpoint (and Boise) are heading East (along with the folks from CA. OR & Seattle that chased them off). Same flood of folks in Bozeman, Kalispell, Whitefish and Missoula driving up housing and rental prices to insane levels. Even the Mormons aren't scaring people off from SE Idaho at this point. Interesting times indeed.

Still plenty of housing in Cut Bank and Miles City though.:rolleyes:
20180814-140311.jpg

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Road from Cd'A to Sand Point is one dangerous mess, Uncle refused to drive very far on it. We did go up on Lake Pend Oreille to Bayview and Farragut Park where He and my Dad spent a considerable time at Farragut Naval Base WWII. Uncs Third wife has folks in Missoula.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sis In law in CO was all skittish as to snow and bad roads, turned out was her Pot smoking did her driver license in!! She DID finally get a clean check and her license back, she will have to re-test on her next renewal and be found clean or lose her license Again.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Road from Cd'A to Sand Point is one dangerous mess, Uncle refused to drive very far on it.
I did that commute for almost 5 years when we had shop work or I needed to resupply on parts. Wish I'd had a dashcam then; saw more wrecks, rollovers, near misses and dead critters every day than I'd seen in years previous. It is a dangerous stretch of road for almost half the year.

Shop was next to a body shop. One day had a total come in missing the roof, and looking like a massacre. Turns out a couple was cruising up the highway when a moose walked out. Couple ducked in time, but moose tore the roof off the car, and the roof tore the guts out of the moose, right into the car. Can't imagine what they were thinking when they opened their eyes.

Ah! Screw it than!!! Wind River Canyon - here I come!!! I hope Injuns will not be against it!!!:D
If they're as friendly as the folks in Browning, Crow Agency or Colville, it's been nice knowing ya!:D

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well crap, knew not to but looked to Accuweather, on schedule to get 3-6 inches snow Friday-Sunday coming.