• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That's what the Navy SAYS they are doing there.
Uh Huh, sure...Navy in Idaho, riiiiight.....
There's a crashed alien mothership at the bottom of the lake.
Well if they are looking for service information on it I hope they post the full serial number so we don't have to make guesses as to which version they are working on. Might need Nige to use his higher level access to SIS (AKA: Spacecraft Information System).

And Idaho is not the only place with a fresh water lake doing Navy "Research", just a few miles form me they have a site in Seneca Lake, at least we have access to ocean via the St. Lawrence River:
https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Home/Warfare-Centers/NUWC-Newport/What-We-Do/Detachments/Seneca-Lake/

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
True. I used to like the white strobe lights on the three towers. Last nighttime drive by, saw they’d changed. :(
Yep, about 2 years ago they switched over to red blinkers at night and use the white strobes in the daylight. Actually all four towers have the strobes but you can only see the lights on 3 towers from any given angle.
When they first went in my Grandfather's guys built the access roads for the outfit that put the towers up. Back in those days the strobes were so powerful that they lit up the walls of our house 30 miles away. Of course there weren't many other lights around here then.
I was driving close by the towers last summer and there was a huge tumbleweed caught on the top of one of the towers...must have been one huge dust devil that put that up there. :D

JD955SC

Heck, we got a Coast Guard station out here in the desert with no water nearby. Ok, its a LORAN transmitter with 700' towers. Delivery trucks are always confused.

I thought I heard that LORAN was discontinued. I’m pretty sure I am one of the youngest pilots to have learned and used the system- the trainer I flew most often had a LORAN receiver in it. This was back in the mid 2000s

Crummy

Well, I got a text and I bought myself a birthday present. I couldn't walk away from it, too cool. A little rough but really straight & not hacked up. You can still read the factory sticker on the door jamb. He wants to do a bunch of work to it before he gives it to me so I won't have it for a bit, but it's just a mile down the road and I told him to concentrate on getting his crusher up and making rock so I have something to haul, poor guy has had nothing but bad luck getting up and running. Good to have cash on hand in the safe on a Saturday.....
1967 923.
IMG_2021-01-30_12-13-05.jpeg

colson04

There is a '72 923 for sale locally with a 6-71 Detroit. It went through the local auction house about 12 weeks ago, and I see it for sale on Marketplace 60 miles away now for double what it sold for. It is in rough shape, lots of oil leaks all over, tires are shot, etc.

Looks like a nice truck you got there Crummy

Crummy

I don't think I went too wrong. It was a really quick look-over but so far- "fresh" 350 Cummins & 13 speed, SQHD(?), double frame to back of cab, no big fluid leaks, no blow-by, new radiator, holds air, dash is all original, Jakes work.

Truck Shop

It should have the brushed dash panels being that year, and it has the early Luberfiner housing on the left side. Same 750 oil filter IIRC. Looks like a Columbia box.