• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

What is the problem with the 203?
Nothing that I can see, ran last week with no problems. As it was a "give me a quick second opinion" I didn't get really deep into it. Since you mentioned it though, I probably should have hit the hoses, t-stat housing, etc. with the temp gun at least to see what those temps looked like (approximately) and not rely on "but the computer said...." so much. From the numbers it looks to my simple mind like #1 the t-stat is opening at 180-ish & #2 the pump is pumping so I'm scratching my head on where the R&R water pump and t-stat came from.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Tech diagnosis is- "Replace water pump & thermostat"...
Who is giving this "Tech diagnosis"? Or is it coming from the computer?

Most I might be doing without more information would be to inspect belts and make sure the radiator fins are not partially plugged with dirt or leaves and such.

Might also want to at least give a quick look at anything else that is cooled by engine coolant, say hydraulics or transmission.

Crummy

I get a call yesterday from a guy I know and I guess the ELD isn't working out for a lot of guys and the demand for '99 and older trucks is huge. He want's to start buying up trucks and going through them totally and make big $$ re-selling them. Do I want in?
Let me think on that......
No.
Bad idea, IMO. Really bad. I see hard feelings when "there just isn't enough money" to pay even minimum wage for the hours in it. Now the original seller got his, the parts houses got theirs, tire shop got full $, painter.......but the knuckle buster "partners" are going to get it in the shorts in the end.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Biggest issue there is they’d have to be cash buyers as I doubt a lender would go for the big $$ older truck.....

Good call. Recipe for hard feelings and a sore a$$ lol.

Crummy

Biggest issue there is they’d have to be cash buyers as I doubt a lender would go for the big $$ older truck.....
Lender? I hear there's so much money in trucking that most guys use bags of money for pillows in the sleeper.

You are a HH guy, did you see that D10 that hit a bridge and went on it's side somewhere on the East coast recently? The outfit also got caught awhile back hauling a transformer on a step that was massively over weight and got put OOS at the scales but took off when they closed, the DOT ran 'em down the next day at the delivery and made them re-load with the crane and put the screws to them.
[edit] going back in my messages it was Akron
dozer.jpg

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I saw that one as well as the guy hauling a rock truck through Nashville. I guess he wanted to load the bridge on top of the truck!

It takes some balls to run on an OOS!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I saw that one as well as the guy hauling a rock truck through Nashville. I guess he wanted to load the bridge on top of the truck!

It takes some balls to run on an OOS!
OOS? I'm guessing that means Out Of Service?

I'm guessing also that when they stopped him at the scales they had looked at his paperwork that stated where the load was to be delivered!

Kind of like the story I heard years ago where a guy handed a not to a bank teller saying hand over the money. He had used the back of one of the deposit slips from his check book!

Crummy

Service tech that came out said that he didn't say it needed a water pump & thermostat, only that he put 2+ gallons of coolant in & it seemed OK but it would be a good idea to find out where the coolant went.
Someone isn't entirely telling the truth here. That's the end of it for me, let them figure it out.

Crummy

I'm out here in the shop working and glance over at the security camera monitor and something big goes across in front of the shop- deer? bear? So I go out and look. Nothing that I can see.
Back in the shop and take a look at the monitor up on the wall and there it goes again! That sucker is BIG how could I have missed it out there?
Get closer, watch for a little while.....
Darn spider building a web in front of the camera.

Crummy

Since I couldn't find the thread and I'm too lazy to keep looking I'll try this-
@Hallback are you still looking for a HH tractor? This outfit is right up the road from me. Spec'd well-
Kenworth Heavy Haul

They had a 9 axle (I think) trailer for sale for awhile, too. Located at the end of the airport over here by the bridge.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Since I couldn't find the thread and I'm too lazy to keep looking I'll try this-
@Hallback are you still looking for a HH tractor? This outfit is right up the road from me. Spec'd well-
Kenworth Heavy Haul

Yes, but that engine...we will have to have some of the Cat gurus chime in on the SDP but 400,000 miles and 13,000 hours and it has already had an overhaul, and how many ARD heads has it had?

StanRUS

es, but that engine...we will have to have some of the Cat gurus chime in on the SDP but 400,000 miles and 13,000 hours and it has already had an overhaul, and how many ARD heads has it had?
Lots of PTO idle time and low annual mileage: Overhaul 11.2014>11.2018>4yrs>79K = 19750per year. ACERT, DPF doesn't like that. ARD heads? Change sparkplug, LOL

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You are a HH guy, did you see that D10 that hit a bridge and went on it's side somewhere on the East coast recently? The outfit also got caught awhile back hauling a transformer on a step that was massively over weight and got put OOS at the scales but took off when they closed, the DOT ran 'em down the next day at the delivery and made them re-load with the crane and put the screws to them.
[edit] going back in my messages it was Akron
View attachment 189198
Not much of a load. Didn't even have the blade on it.......
In a former life we had real fun with HH, as the photos below illustrate.....

upload_2018-12-11_16-47-24.png

This one is not Photoshopped (apart from the text in the rear view mirror) just in case anyone asks....
upload_2018-12-11_16-46-6.png

Crummy

I got myself a couple of early Christmas presents. This turns out to be one of those "I wish I had these a long time ago" things.
Dewalt 3/8" impact & a couple of LED work lights. The impact is super handy and the bigger of the lights is just something I can't live without now.
DSCF0001.JPG

Crummy

Making progress on relocating. Closed on the California place and got the check yesterday. Woo-hoo! Although I got home from taking mom to the eye doctor and there was an envelope leaning against the front door in the rain- supposed to be an overnight with signature required at delivery (only the closing documents & a 6-figure check enclosed...). Way to go FedEx!

On another note- I LOVE that 3/8" cordless impact.

colson04

On another note- I LOVE that 3/8" cordless impact.

Which model is your 3/8" impact? I've had my eye on one for a couple years, but never made the jump to get it. I have been contemplating about getting the 20v Dewalt set as my older 18v kit is plumb worn out. I'm really wanting the new 1/2" high torque 20v impact gun. Looks like it could replace an air impact completely in most circumstances.

I've always used the 1/4" hex drive impact gun with 3/8" adapter. It gets the job done, but certainly runs short on breakout torque for some jobs.

Crummy

Which model is your 3/8" impact?
DCF883. Claims 140 ft/lbs.
I know it will right quick destroy a cheap-o socket working on rusty cover bolts :rolleyes:
EDIT: there is a kit they offer that has the 3/8, 1/2, the work light (which is also awesome) + batteries & charger I would get if I did it again.

.....as my older 18v kit is plumb worn out.
Same here.

Last edited:

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
20v is by far the way to go. I have the hammer drill, 1/4" impact driver. A sawzall and they are far above any 18v tool I have ever used. The battery sawzall and hammer drill are not a replacement for a corded tool, but I'm absolutely impressed. The quarter inch impact is my favorite tool right now. I use that thing for everything that requires turning. I have ran in 5/16" lags and drywall screws, I've used it for running in cover bolts in the dozer and even cinching up band clamps on plastic pipe. Very handy tool.