• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It's funny. 15 years ago there was a voltage race, 9.6 volts, 12 volts, 18 volts, we got some 24 volt tools that were the biggest and baddest and then they quit making them. The word was 24 volts was too big and 18 volts was going to be the standard. Now it is creeping up again.

Crummy

One more reason to vacate this location: looking for a part on eBay put it in the cart and WTF? WA sales tax? Did a little research & it turns out as of 01/01/2019 eBay itself is collecting sales tax for WA on EVERY transaction 'on behalf of the seller' whether the seller is exempt or not. Don't get me wrong as I'm not against taxes as it's part of the deal, but they better damn well provide me with better services and infrastructure than I have now for what I'm paying!!!!!!!!!!!

Between this stupid state and just selling a place in California I feel like I was mugged. Violently.

Rant over, carry on.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That was a recent Supreme Court decision that made a lawn mower shop in South Dakota now liable to collect sales tax and send it on to the state of anybody who buys in San Diego or Tampa or NYC or Seattle.

Crummy

That was a recent Supreme Court decision that made a lawn mower shop in South Dakota now liable to collect sales tax and send it on to the state of anybody who buys in San Diego or Tampa or NYC or Seattle.
I'm aware of Wayfair but I didn't think it was going to apply to small eBay sellers. Reading through Washington's new "Marketplace Fairness" rules it still exempts out of state sellers under certain thresholds ($100k/yr, 200 sales...) BUT if you sell on a "marketplace" they have to collect for you.

Crummy

Put the rake/grapple on the loader today and went over and cut up big 'ol a tree that went down on my neighbors in a recent wind storm. Ended up down at my other (new) not-so-savy-with-dirtwork neighbors helping him out. He's a bit frustrated and down about the project. Gave him a couple of tips and he asked if I'd come down tomorrow and help him get going in the right direction. Tip #1- stop making cake batter out of the dry material; Tip #2- stop digging stumps for a bit [see tip #1]....

I've been doing so much BS stuff lately it's nice getting on a machine for a few hours and pushing stuff around, the stress just melts away.

Crummy

Easiest fix of the year so far:
"Hey, glad I caught you this morning..can you come and look at a machine for me?"
Sure, what's it doing?
"Started running funny and quit, cranks & cranks but won't start now."
This is going to sound dumb, but you have some new guys working for you- is there fuel in it?
"Hang on...[bwah-bwah]...they're checking....[BWAH! BWAH! BWAH!]....thanks man, we got it from here, I owe ya. Idiots...."
I don't miss being a boss and running crews a bit, you get so much on your plate sometimes the simple obvious stuff slides right by you.

Crummy

I was running a brand new (I think it had 14 hrs. on it when we started) Case TLB for a buddy of mine on a project. He sent his guys first thing in the morning to fuel everything up.
I got on and it was still on E.
Hey, you guys didn't fuel this thing.
"Yeah we did, but it didn't take much."
Uhhh, which cap? Green one or black one?
Yep, you guessed it. I used to call them Beevis & Butthead.

Crummy

A little update on the service truck. I haven't used it much with all the other things going on, but a couple of observations on things I was not too enthusiastic about when I got it.
#1- the crew cab. The space filled up fast with all the stuff that isn't really good with being in the box- computer(s), manuals, paperwork, clothes, etc. Nice to have some space to do the 'office' work that's not using the steering wheel as a desk. The longer wheelbase hasn't caused any problems so far and it rolls down the road smooth.
#2- the lid on the service body. Worthless for having a place to work out of the weather. Starting out you loose the spot on the boxes to mount the welder so it's on the floor inside and even though it's on a wheel kit it's just always in the way. If the rig didn't have the PTO compressor it would be totally unusable space. There's a LOT of additional space/shelves to put stuff but it quickly becomes like that closet in your house where if you open the door a bowling ball rolls off the shelf and lands on your foot. Without doors on the shelves off-pavement 1/2 your stuff ends up on the floor....son of a......aaarrgh!

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
#1- the crew cab. The space filled up fast with all the stuff that isn't really good with being in the box- computer(s), manuals, paperwork, clothes, etc. Nice to have some space to do the 'office' work that's not using the steering wheel as a desk. The longer wheelbase hasn't caused any problems so far and it rolls down the road smooth.
I've torn the back seat out of the last 3 trucks and built a platform for 2 of them. Thick plywood and cheap industrial carpet from Home Depot bolted right into the seat holes. Bolted down a small toolbox (which is good to keep tools dry, but a bad idea in an accident) and one of those modular Dewalt drawer setups for paperwork, electrical parts, keys, etc. Still plenty of room on top and underneath for control boards, power tools, service manuals, and other misc use stuff.

Picture was when it was first installed.
20161120-115633.jpg

#2- the lid on the service body. Worthless for having a place to work out of the weather. Starting out you loose the spot on the boxes to mount the welder so it's on the floor inside and even though it's on a wheel kit it's just always in the way. If the rig didn't have the PTO compressor it would be totally unusable space.
Hey, at least you have some privacy for a **** bucket.:D

Crummy

It.Just.Won't.Stop!
This is a place where 2" of snow brings everything to hysterical panic. Lots of places get more, but not here!

26" & DUMPING right now.....
First thing in the AM yesterday-
DSCF0003.JPG

This afternoon-
DSCF0008.JPG

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I know the feeling. Drove out to Coeur d'Alene for a job interview and was planning on running back to MT yesterday, but the never ending snow and single digit temps are keeping me from making it over the passes until later this week. Well, unless the forecast changes yet again.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Crummy, to me here in Central NY that would look "normal" for the middle of Feb. but all the snow we had back a couple weeks ago is gone and yard almost looks like I should be out mowing!

That's today, check back with me Tuesday at this time and I have a feeling it might look like your yard from what they are saying on the evening news here!

At least it looks like you have the equipment to handle it.

If this makes you feel better check out this short video:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1094760641158471681

Yep! snow storm in Maui yesterday!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well we have a bit of time left but also some catching up to go.

Official snow falls are measured at airport just north of the city and a few miles makes a big difference around here.

So far we have 73 inches, average amount is 123 inches and record 190 inches.

Right now John Shipp has way more on the ground than I do in my yard!