• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
I'm pretty sure they still do a lot of service for the oil & gas guys up there. My brother-in-law was a tug boat driver for them but that was years ago. [edit] I think Lynden pretty much owns that area now.
Crowley does quite a bit of oil&gas business up here.

Crummy

Well, now every inch of wiring from the firewall back is torn out & start over.

DSCN0048.JPG DSCN0049.JPG

Crummy

Slowly making up the new wiring harnesses. 5-wire jacketed runs from the firewall back & everything that's made up has heat shrink & goes in split loom.

DSCN0052.JPG DSCN0053.JPG DSCN0055.JPG

hvy 1ton

Not a huge fan of solder splices for automotive wiring, but lots of heat shrink almost makes up for it. Solder and vibrations don't go well together.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Not a huge fan of solder splices for automotive wiring, but lots of heat shrink almost makes up for it. Solder and vibrations don't go well together.

I agree. My policy is to do it however the OEM would have done it. I have some fairly expensive tooling and boxes of terminals but once you do it that way, it stays fixed.

Theoretically, if you solder it and heat shrink it further up the wire than the solder wicked up the strands, it should be fine but there is no way of knowing how far it wicked.

Crummy

The only solder is on the supported running splices- insulation stripped, wire NOT cut on the main run. Everything else is crimped with a real crimper+ heat shrink. Looking at how the big expensive body builder did it originally in the first picture post #303.....

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Post 303 pic #1 is a sonic weld. We are missing some context there but normally they are very reliable, most mfrs use them now. I don't know how they are made, though. What was wrong with it?

If I need to make a running splice I cut and use a butt connector with 2 wires in one side. You can get step down butt connectors that have different colors on each end but I have taken to stripping the single end twice as long and folding it back onto itself to double the diameter.

mitch504

If I need to make a running splice I cut and use a butt connector with 2 wires in one side. You can get step down butt connectors that have different colors on each end but I have taken to stripping the single end twice as long and folding it back onto itself to double the diameter.

That's exactly how I do it.

ETER

Lots of good "how to" and "not how to" info here (I did not know that soldered connections and vibration were a bad combo) or about the aluminum wire being used? (had me looking at my rolls of wire). I do see a lot of heat shrink connects full of the "green cheese" from improper crimpers being used.
Regards Bob

Crummy

Got the back-up & amber wigwag's in to fill the holes in the box. Even though my new placement of the stop-tail-turn isn't optimum, I think it's better than where they were and having the crane obstructing the right side. One thing occurred to me after all this time- there's no clearance lights on the lid. Looked up the FMVSS regs & over 80" wide it sure looks like they are required. I also noticed, of course after filling all those holes and painting, the license plate holes are crooked!

DSCN0057.JPG DSCN0058.JPG DSCN0059.JPG

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Crummy, I don't think I've ever seen such wonky holes on a licence plate. Did you fill the wrong ones mate?

Crummy

My new neighbor that had the property behind me logged last month came up this evening and asked if he could park his new excavator behind my shop (I've got security cameras). Nice little machine, 6-way blade too. First time equipment owner and a big project ahead of him.

DSCN0060.JPG DSCN0061.JPG

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
The blades have come a long way on these machines, looks useful.

Crummy

I'm guessing with the machine weight & tracks if you tried to use the angle/tilt like a "real" dozer it would just want to turn in circles. I could be wrong though. I wonder how the undercarriage/finals hold up with that blade.