• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Probably, but when finishing gravel drives etc the standard blade is limited in it's usefulness. I imagine that 6 way blade would be great for light finishing work in easy grade material.

Crummy

Got a little bit done today- a few more lights mounted on the back. My new wire supply showed up last week so no excuses now.

DSCN0063.JPG DSCN0067.JPG

Crummy

The project is getting close enough so I was thinking about getting the new plates & registration last week. Since I, unfortunately, live in an area that requires emissions testing before they will license it I was grumbling about the process- get a trip permit, go 20 miles to the check station, then go to the DOL and get the plates. The trip permit, 40 mile round trip, emissions check fee, bridge toll, "take a number" waiting at two places adds to the cost and frustration. "frickin' government...."

Then I thought- "self, you still have an active Prorate account....why not?".
Logged in last Thursday morning, "Add Vehicle", filled out the info, paid the bill......and the Washington base plates & cab card showed up yesterday in the mail! No emissions. No "take a number". No most of a day wasted. Easy-Peasy.
Ha!
%*@^ your stupid emissions checking.

Crummy

Wiring is done, in split loom & secured from the box to the cab except for the crane. Now it's behind the dash work hooking everything up. I decided I hated the switch/gauge panel so I put together a different one.

DSCN0068.JPG DSCN0069.JPG DSCN0070.JPG DSCN0071.JPG

Crummy

The beacons aren't mounted, I'm still deciding whether I need them since it will have amber wig-wag's front & rear. They came off the Kenworth so I've got them, just don't know if I want them.

DSCN0072.JPG DSCN0073.JPG DSCN0074.JPG

Crummy

I've had the same problem with women. Look real good & seems like a good idea at the time, but then later, upon reflection....

Crummy

Getting closer on the wiring. I got a lot of the dash back together yesterday which is nice to see. Today is trying to figure out the train wreck with the BOSS compressor, PTO, & Murphy Tattletale thingy. Thank goodness for the good people at BOSS for sending me the "as-built" wiring diagram and the internet for the rest.

Crummy

Working on all the little pick-up tasks waiting for my wheel lugs to get here. The door jamb switches for the dome light didn't work so I pulled them, one is totally broken and one I thought I could clean up and make work. Nope, what cheap plastic junk and a terrible design.
Found the IH part number:
Cheapest online...…$147.98/ea.
That's ridiculous. Insane even.
Found a Dorman part number.....$118.74 on eBay.
Better, but still-
Not.
Going.
To.
Happen.

2 Cheap-o 'Universal' from across the Pacific $5.75 and free shipping. Can't be any worse than the OEM junk that was on it and I could have 102 spares for the same price.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
You'd expect a OEM component like a door jam switch to be in the $30-50 zone I guess, but over a 100 is not likely to get bought, surely. Is it?

I'd have to be having a very relaxed, blasé kind of moment to spend 290 odd dollars on a pair of light switches.

Crummy

30 hours on my neighbors new Kubota excavator and the thumb hydraulics has gone haywire. He thought he broke it [told him not likely that he did it] and asked me to look at it. Yep, it's got a mind of it's own now- warranty repair. He's not happy he has to load it up and take it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

Crummy

Got the interior pretty much squared away odds & ends left but all the electrical works! The 2-way radio/GPS/Camera was a great idea but way too much work to get everything mounted up there but the dash is limited for room though & can't mount anything in the wiper sweep on the windshield. I was scratching my head on how to mount the inverter, then came up with a brainstorm I'll post pics of that tomorrow (waiting for paint on mount to dry). I'm going to have my buddy the finish carpenter build me a little desk for the back too.

Sorry about the cruddy pictures, I'm not a picture takin' wizard...
DSCN0084.JPG DSCN0085.JPG DSCN0087.JPG

Crummy

Oh yeah- this truck is HUGE and I'm already facing the fact that I can't take everything I want with me.

Crummy

Inverter is in. Made up a bracket & used one of the seat belt mounts, out of the way and close to the battery.

DSCN0088.JPG DSCN0090.JPG DSCN0089.JPG

Crummy

I got the tarp-door and roughed it in. Who was it that had that idea way back in this thread? Give yourself a pat on the back. I still need to figure a good way to secure the sides without having something that sticks out and grabs a guys elbow or hip and makes him howl like a dog crapping barbwire. Tell you what though; it's 90* outside, 84* in the shop, and about 4,000* in that doghouse hanging it I'm a sweaty mess.

DSCN0091.JPG

I'll give a plug for Northwest Tarp & Canvas. Excellent quality and workmanship- $67.50 for 5'x6' 18oz to my door off their eBay store.

Crummy

Still working on getting the rig in service in between other projects. I got a deep cycle battery and wired in with the battery isolator- everything factory is on the vehicle batteries and all else (crane, work lights, beacons, strobes, radios...) is on the house battery. I'm going to shoot for getting the tires mounted up on the new rims and installed this week. I picked up a pair of Centramatic balancers for the steers, I've always wondered if they worked as advertised and since this is kind of an experiment with things project worth a try I figure. I was also working on getting the new DC reversing solenoids laid out for the crane and redoing the pendant and found a hoist/crane radio remote for cheap, what the heck? I'll give it a try at the price.

Crummy

I got 3 of 4 rear tires mounted up yesterday. When I got the wheels there was one inside that was an Accuride so I ordered an old style drop center TR509 valve stem for it when I got the lugs and other stems. It has the triangle cutouts and all the others are round so I assumed the other inside one was an Alcoa (never took them off the banded pallet). Wrong, it's an old style Accuride. Now I'm one valve stem short. I'm going to check the tire shop that's a mile away from me to see if they have one this morning (Les Schwab, yuk).

Moral to this story- never assume anything and order extras of everything. I know better.

DSCN0092.JPG