• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

Well, the Les Schwab here in the Harbor is on my "you guys are OK, for today at least" list.
Went in and the counter guy and I were having some trouble communicating on what it was I needed- TR509? 17-509? Old style Accuride drop center aluminum?. He says "like on a dump truck?" . Well, yeah, sort of. He ran in the back and came back- "is this what you need?". Yep, that's it- what do I owe you? "Take it, have a nice day!"

Crummy

Got the drive tires/wheels on the rig---almost. Since I was changing over to all aluminum I ordered all new inner & outer lugs. Left side went great, right side inner fine, got the outer on and....what's going on here? These lugs don't want to start. What the? In a box labeled "Qty: 10 Outer Cap Nut Right" there was (6) right and (4) left! That's what you get for ordering online, right? Well, they came direct out of Meritor! I've got 14 lefts and 6 rights.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yeah, I just wound up with 3 upper radiator hoses before I finally got a lower, customer getting annoyed. All of them have new labels stuck on top of torn off labels, I guess the guys whose job it was to re-label them were not paying close attention....

Crummy

I cross referenced the filter numbers this morning for the Boss compressor so I can do a service on that. The internet is great for that kind of stuff; about 1/2 the cost using Wix & Donaldson #'s.

Foggy & cool this morning so I'll attack the front wheels/tires for awhile.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not to be condescending but I quit using WIX filters a few years back, had some issues with some unexpected canister failures could not explain how. Have changed up to OE CAT, Baldwin and Fleetguard for the largest part of what I still do.

Crummy

Not to be condescending but I quit using WIX filters a few years back, had some issues with some unexpected canister failures could not explain how. Have changed up to OE CAT, Baldwin and Fleetguard for the largest part of what I still do.
Condescending? Pffffft! That's' what the internet is for!
Though it IS a great place to get information you normally wouldn't get- like "I used that and it wrecked everything! Stay away!" Good to know! I learn new things every day.
Wix showed an interchange # on their website so using the Wix # I should be able to cross to another. Boss compressors are tough (I found out) to plug their #'s in and get an interchange. The oil & coalescer worked with Wix and the air filter came up Donaldson but not Wix.

Crummy

Got the front wheels/tires done yesterday. 3 hours to jack & pull both steers, check everything on the front axle, dismount tires, re-mount on the aluminum rims, back on the rig & on the ground. Not bad for a busted up old guy who's not in a big hurry.

Even though there is still some little things to do I'm going to say that's crossing the finish line and put it in service.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
About time! :p:D

I’m anxious the see the evolution of the work....

As far as Wix, we used hundreds of them a year on everything from air compressors, skid loaders, pickups and the Watson rigs. I haven’t seen any failures yet. I have gotten a few with the wrong flange crimped in. Helper was cussing one trying to get it spun on. Dude it ain’t gonna start like that. It was not even close. Not sure how that escapes QC!

Looks great. When you’re done I’ve got one down here you can start on....

Crummy

That's good to hear Crummy! Post up some"finished product/ runway" pictures if you get the chance.
Regards Bob
I'm going to pull it out either today or tomorrow and take some pics before I take it out and mess up all the work.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
No joke. I went back & checked- right at 10 months working on it between other projects.

Ha! Second guy in 2 days that's said that. I don't even know why I did this one!

As crazy as it may sound I don’t think 10 months is all that bad. Finished product is exponentially better than anything else you’d have gotten. Plus it’s exaxtly what you want.

I’m not sure why I even got the one I’m building. Need our heads examined!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We all have our issues!! I am still hammering on that $500 GMC!! that I did not need either!!

Oh AND that Allis Crawler, AND the Allis farm tractor, did I mention still working on the house, Oh and I have around six trees to get dropped!! JEEZ I set myself up for work, but then got a day job besides and I AM RETIRED!!