• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I used to have some sympathy for "Amazon is killing brick-n-mortar"
Not so much sympathy anymore.
If you can't compete on price the least you can do is have it in the first place and have the best customer service not a bunch of minimum wage know-nothings staring at their smart phones.

Agree. There is a tiny ancient hardware store near here where they pretty much grab you by the arm when you walk in and take you to the item you want. They have all kinds of strange stuff nobody else does and the employees all know where it is and the owner and his son are working there same as everyone else.

I used to live like 2 miles away, too bad I had to move across town.

Crummy

Definitely not the way I wanted to start the day off. Had to call Building Maintenance for ANOTHER high-bay LED light that was going out. Not good when you are getting ready to paint and not to have good light. The guy was pretty sharp, managed to get one working 100% using the three bad ones.
Ouch, my arm hurts from patting myself on the back.

DSCN0019.JPG

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Yes, we never had enough light when spraying, especially with the cloudiness of overspray once get going, I'm sure that is the reason big sagging runs were so common...

Crummy

Got out of my building maintenance guy clothes and got into my paint guy clothes and got the door jambs shot. Start masking the rest this afternoon.
Mooooo-ving along.

Crummy

Tried the HVLP way worse! I followed the manufacturers directions to a T- fluid tip, atom. pressure. Says thinning not necessary. Cleanup is with their 'special' thinner=$$$$. Before I started I looked up the MSDS and found their 'special' mix was 97% Xylene so that's what I've been cleaning the gun with. Out of desperation, and not wanting something that looks like textured home interior walls, I used the old "I'm a crappy painter mix it hot and let it flow" trick- about 20% Xylene. Shot GREAT out of the LVLP and looks fine now. Whew.

Mask & shoot the black, paint the inside of the boxes and the bed floor and done with the painting. Shooting for the end of next week. It will be nice to move on to really putting it back together and getting it in service soon.

Crummy

UPS just dropped off my latest buy. Saw some Lincoln cordless grease guns eBay "Buy it now" for a stupid low price so I bought all eight listed. Said new in box, but until they showed up I was a bit skeptical. Well, sure enough new in box. I'm keeping two since I've never had a cordless and put the rest up for sale locally, should be able to make a couple of easy bucks to use towards the other project.
DSCN0024.JPG

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Good result Mr, if that popped up for sale here I would be racing to buy it. Super overhaul.

ETER

Looking pretty sharp Crummy! I'm thinking in a week or so you will have to start the"occupation" phase, and then determine the insurance requirements? My insurance guy asked me to put a value on my truck and contents, and I told him that it was difficult to figure out a replacement cost. I still have to take pictures and do an inventory for for record (seems like my inventory keeps changing).
I guess that you always need to figure the "worse case scenario"... it's too bad, but I guess that's the world we live in.
Regards Bob