• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

ETER

I know what you mean by all the extra holes, I don't think I've had to drill one hole in my box during the entire setup/tool arrangement process! I do like the older style Reading latches (circa1997?) as far as being easy to service, just not the most secure as far as being theft proof.
Regards Bob

Crummy

The door seals are impossible to locate aftermarket also. I'm still looking for something that will work that's not, I'm sure, something like $11/ft and most likely "Legacy product please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery".

Crummy

While we are on drilling holes- how about punching a few through the cab roof for antennas? Those will NEVER leak. I think every one I've seen has a giant glob of clear Silicone slathered around it.

Crummy

Try ALTEC, they were worse....
I hauled a couple of ALTEC line rigs for a guy that bought them "cheap" and was going to fix them up for his new business. I chuckled to myself at the time- "Dude, I hope you have deep pockets..."
Considering he had to borrow the money to have me haul them....

crane operator

My limited experience with altec was with one of the first boom trucks they made. I think it was a 26103. Anyways, the outrigger box beams looked like they had been flame cut with a poorly set up torch. The edges were a ripple. The whole thing looked like a high school shop project gone wrong. The operators cab door opened to the front, and if you had the door open, and boomed up out of the rest, the a2b cable would catch on the widow wiper, promptly popping off the wire and unspooling the whole mess, and most generally ruined the wire too. I was glad when it left the yard, owner said he took a big loss on it just to get it gone.

And I looked up knapehide door latches- $57.00 each. You might be headed to the banker too......

ETER

My town highway dept. has a 2000 Int. 4900 with the Altec bucket unit but has about the same Reading service body as mine. So I wasn't sure Altec actually built the service bodies?
Regards Bob

ETER

The Napa parts and supply catalog had a pretty good selection of door weatherstripping
The door seals are impossible to locate aftermarket also. I'm still looking for something that will work that's not, I'm sure, something like $11/ft and most likely "Legacy product please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery".

Crummy

I'm going to print the drawings of the "standard" paddle latches and see if I can sketch up a doable modification to make them function. The only dimension that doesn't look like it will work is the latch not being deep enough.

Crummy

Thanks @crane operator you got me to looking and I found a Knapheide latch on eBay ($74.50 + $17.30 shipping). With a good picture it makes sense now what they did, still not standard-easy-to-find but I think I may be able to make rotary paddle latches work with not much work.

Crummy

I'm messing around in the shop trying to figure out what to do about the door latches and my buddy stops by. Told him I found some stainless paddle latches reasonably priced online and just trying to figure how to make them work. He says "Big mistake! You are going to regret getting that cheap Chinese junk- I only use manufacturer replacement parts, way more expensive but better stuff."
Just so happened I was using one off of my Stahl boxes see what I could do with these doors-
DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Crummy

I got the inside of the doghouse done this morning. Since the old Stahl side boxes were out I decided to cut them in too what the heck more locking storage. I was thinking about it and those boxes have been of four other trucks I've had, pretty sure this will be the last one though.

DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

The latches showed up last week so getting those retrofitted is next.

Crummy

I would be happy seen driving it.
Steering wheel is on the wrong side for you though.
From your side of the big pond I don't think anything beats a Dakar Rally support truck. Those things are AWESOME! I really-really-really need one of those.

Crummy

I seem to remember when they still ran through Africa one of them ran over a land mine.....and they got it going again. That there is what you would call a fully equipped service truck.

Crummy

Working on the new paddle latches this morning. Thankfully what I thought was going to be a real head scratcher to make work with how the doors & jambs are laid out is going to be really easy. Seven more to go.
DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0006.JPG