• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

Tacked one of the gas struts in on the door to see how it's going to work. Math is hard but I managed to get it so that when the door is about 4" open the strut goes over-center & closes it the rest of the way & with the new rotary latches "click!". Sweet! I still need to patch up where the old spring struts tore up the door- lousy design Knapheide.
gasstrut.JPG

Crummy

Sold my Bernard welding cooler today, too. That will help with the bill that came came today that has the tires, wheels, Karrykrimp....
So far I've managed to finance this project with selling stuff I need to get rid of anyway. Haven't gotten into the Kenworth $'s, doesn't look like I'll need to either.

Crummy

I got two more doors done yesterday. I've got installing the latches and struts down so it doesn't take too much time there but four of the doors are bent and won't seal on the jamb gasket so it takes time to get them right.
DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0004.JPG
Does anyone know how you pronounce Knapheide? NAP-HYDE or NAP-HEE-DEE?
Asking for a friend....

Crummy

I have always heard it pronounced KNAPHEIDE.
Ba-Da-Tish! He'll be here all week folks, hope you enjoyed the show and don't forget to tip your waitress.

I am 99% sure it is NAP-HYDE. It fits with German pronunciation that way, too.
That's the way I thought but one of the guys I know that works for the power company swears it's "-HEE-DEE". Although, he is originally from Alabama and pronounces tire "tar" and oil "awl" so as a result I am a bit skeptical of his ferin name soundin out language skills.

Crummy

This is pretty funny.
One of the guys saw the new tires I got and after I told him what I paid he called his wife (who does all his online stuff) and said "order me up 8 of those quick before they go up in price!" since he needed some new drives.
She calls back in a little bit- "I've got them in the cart- are you sure about this? Seems an awful lot to spend right now"
"Darn it woman, just do what I say....what's the total?"
Something like $7,500....
What! Cancel-Cancel-Cancel!
She'd put what he said- Qty: [8].
On the listing for 4 tires, not 1!
Almost had 32 tires coming his way.

mitch504

That's the way I thought but one of the guys I know that works for the power company swears it's "-HEE-DEE". Although, he is originally from Alabama and pronounces tire "tar" and oil "awl" so as a result I am a bit skeptical of his ferin name soundin out language skills.

Hey now! Did you really have to go there? You noticed I am from South Carolina, right?

Crummy

Hey now! Did you really have to go there? You noticed I am from South Carolina, right?
Ha! No, I didn't.
I'm a disgrace to the family name with my 'talkin.
I got paired up with a guy at work years ago that was also from Alabama because I was the only one they had that "speaks Southern".

Crummy

Got my contractor guy that owes me big off this morning to California to work on the place so hopefully I'll be able to get it up for sale in a few weeks. Distractions from the important stuff....

I was out looking at the air hose reels I took off and wondering if I should clean them up and figure out a way to put them on the rig. What's the advice here? I've got lot's of storage for loose hoses, or is it worth trying to find a good spot for the reels since I have them? They are big Reelcraft units- 24"x11".

Crummy

Two more nice days before it starts raining again so I've got the rig out back and prep for paint. I'll be soooo glad when this part is done. They started logging the property behind me yesterday morning, I'd much rather be doing that than doing paint prep. Ugly job though with English Ivy all the way to the top of almost every 90'+ Fir on the first 2 1/2 acres.

Crummy

Right now I'm hating the lid. Lots of low quality seam sealer, thus when it failed the paint started peeling. My "two or three" days of prep is going to be.....more than two or three days.

DSCN0014.JPG

Crummy

Made it before the rain & got the rig back in the shop. For some reason the drivers side was in WAY better shape, not nearly as much lifting paint. Woke up this morning and my poor shoulders are killing me but it feels great being done with that miserable job. Head down to NAPA this morning and get some seam sealer and rattle can primer. Goop the seams and spot prime the bare spots this weekend E-Z.

The DA sander and the rest of the prep stuff went into a box and up on the highest shelf in the shop never to be used again. Ever.

If I had a real job or needed a rig in-service for my business this project would have been in the boneyard looooong ago.

ETER

It's good to hear that the to do list is getting smaller Crummy! I have learned to look at projects like this as a continual "work in progress" as it seems that the project is never really completely done!
Regards Bob

Crummy

Rant
So I go down to the local parts store I've been buying stuff at for a bazillion years to get seam sealer. I've used SEM products from them for decades and am really comfortable working with their stuff. Go down the paint/body isle, which used to be a full isle BTW and now just a little corner, no SEM. Go to the counter-
Where's the SEM black seam sealer?
"We don't carry SEM any more"
What? OK, how about 3M? You had that last time I was here.
"Nope"
What DO you have?
"The stuff on the bottom shelf over there"
I really want to get the seams sealed & spot primed this weekend so I go ahead and get it. What could possibly go wrong, it's just seam sealer?
BIG MISTAKE!
This stuff is CRAP! JUNK! GARBAGE!
Literally, it's like trying to seal seams with anti-seize! Same consistency and gets everywhere BUT skins in about 90 seconds. The SEM you could work it & smooth with your finger & surgical glove till it was just right. This stuff? No frickin way, if you don't get it right the first pass it skins and then starts balling up.
Way to go NAPA, one more thing I'll buy online and not from your stupid store.

Crummy

I used to have some sympathy for "Amazon is killing brick-n-mortar"
Not so much sympathy anymore.
If you can't compete on price the least you can do is have it in the first place and have the best customer service not a bunch of minimum wage know-nothings staring at their smart phones.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Hi Crummy, you may not have these sealers where you are but the best ones we used to use in body shop was sikaflex (221?) and Upol tiger seal. If they started to skin over before we'd finished we had a 1/2" paintbrush in a tin of thinners, we'd give it a wipe with the brush and it'd give us more time to slime it around. Cheers

Edit. May be politically incorrect, but never successfully slimed sealant wearing gloves.