• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fixing Stuff

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We do all sorts of stuff so you could see anything from random truck and equipment repairs to sanitary tube welding with some construction mixed in lol.

I inherited 4 of these cylinders Friday, outriggers off a boom truck.

51204817865_a936046a75_m.jpg

A "hydraulic shop" tried to take them apart, they got the first one apart, it had a steel gland, the other three have aluminum glands. They took an air hammer to the first aluminum one. Not sure of the end game on that one.

51203778556_fdfb8a3d30_m.jpg

I ground off all the smashed aluminum on the other ones with green wheels and burs, found the set screws, I hear it helps if you take those out first, then heated them and oiled repeatedly till I could thread the last two out with a big channellock and chain pliers. Now I have 2 decent specimens for my machine shop to work from.

51204525049_fa64a60409_m.jpg

My dismantlement setup, my driveway is gonna be trashed by the time I'm done with this place, if I'm not taking something oily apart I'm dropping slag all over lol

51204714125_0c545746f4_z.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Are you self employed?

Yea

My wife would cut me off for months If I was doing that on her driveway! LOL

Lol I don't have the problem, at the moment. I'll take bigger stuff and messes to the yard but sometimes I'd rather hangout in the garage especially with small filler stuff.

A hydraulic shop should know to look very carefully for set screws even where you don’t expect them...

That's why it's "hydraulic shop" lol.

JLarson

Occupation
This rig was my end of the week wrench bending project, ex mil truck now in ag service. Just needs TLC. Chased some oil leaks, compressor swap, and then working on fuel line replacement, getting rid of all the old stuff like the tank selector switch. Had problems with air entry and loss of prime. Kinda cool, kinda an odd ball even for me.

51214257871_1ff91b132c_m.jpg

dateposted-public

51214476238_e40ec78cf4_m.jpg

2m2Dzv1

51214476238_d43d40f187_k.jpg

51214476238_d43d40f187_k.jpg

Once they run the driver's side tank down I'm going to drain it and run a crossover line, hook the passenger tank up and finish tying up the new lines and putting some hose guard on.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What is hers is hers, what is mine is ours.

We made a deal years ago. She stays out of my shop and I stay out of her kitchen. She doesn't whine about my tools and I don't care about hers. Match made in heaven.

Vetech63

What is hers is hers, what is mine is ours.

We made a deal years ago. She stays out of my shop and I stay out of her kitchen. She doesn't whine about my tools and I don't care about hers. Match made in heaven.
My woman cant seem to stay out of my stuff. She thinks she knows more than I do LOL Hell, I'm shocked she isnt on here telling us how to repair equipment!;):D

Vetech63

Maybe you should invite her on here. It would probably get pretty entertaining to have her tell a bunch of operators and mechanics what they are doing wrong!
Well, she has met Dmiller in person when he was on Tulsa last! He will tell you she is very nice. LOL, man does she have HIM fooled. :D
Here is an example of what she is like trying to even do simple things around the house. 2 weekends ago she wanted me to "help" her hang some shelves in a spare bedroom. First of all, and let me make this very clear..........."help" means me doing it. Second ..........it means me doing it at "her" direction.o_O
So, she shows me where she want these shelves, 4 of them. I proceed to start the first screw in the wall stud and she says "What are you doing? You are not going to be able to tell if the shelf is level." I told her I was going to install the first screw, then lay my level across it to the next stud so I had a location for the second screw. Makes perfect sense right?! Her reply was in a smirky way was "Well, I wouldn't have done it THAT way."
At that moment, I wanted to put the next screw in her brain. :D I went on doing it my way as she was telling me I never listen to her LOL. We cant do NOT one simple project together without something like this going on.
Trust me, if she was on this forum, everyone here would be so pissed off...........thats just the way she is. Don't even think about telling her she is wrong on something. She's is such a control freak its hilarious! :D;):cool:

JLarson

Occupation
I used to have one of those problems, did a delete lol.

This was this afternoon's patient. Ripped this hydro tank out from under a truck, customer complaint was excessive leaks, contaminating brakes. They were hoping it was just the original installer's poor fitting work. We dropped it and took it back and cleaned it up and leaked checked it cause I had a feeling. So far I'm up to 4 weld leaks, guess I'm gonna be cooking some oil in the morning.

PXL_20210602_043934959.jpg

PXL_20210602_044012221.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Found possibly the nastiest return filter housing going, and also had to pull a leaking PTO suction hose last night. If it's leaking while I'm just moving it by hand you're pump probably isn't enjoying things when it runs.

PXL_20210605_025311021.jpg

I never feel like cleaning up on site on Friday's lol, I need a truck clean up minion.

PXL_20210605_053554090.jpg