• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fixing Stuff

Truck Shop

I built pump manifolds for two years, stayed away from diesel for awhile. I liked building/installing pump stations.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Where's the beer?

We've done a few brew jobs, I hate actually working in a brewery or really any food plant, hair nets and beard nets two thumbs down.

One nice thing about food jobs is everything is clean, this Sch 10 pipe is dirt, been rolling around in the back of a truck, dragged around by forklift monkeys, sat outside open for awhile without caps.

JLarson

Occupation
The header I welded yesterday is the discharge headed for two new 20 hp positive displacement blowers the boys epoxy anchored down. Waiting on flex joints and check valves cause COVID to hook up.
PXL_20211105_004734478.jpg

I had to put a spring valve on a backhoe trailer in the dark on the way home too lol.
PXL_20211106_015250726.jpg

56wrench

Unless its a type of stainless thats magnetic its likely not going to work. If i remember correctly, ferritic SS is magnetic. Use a magnet and see if it will stick. There are so many alloys of SS the magnet test is probably the only way to tell for sure. Or you can clamp a mag drill to the pipe. Not so easy on a flat surface though

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It appears to me in the photo JL very cleverly has a steel plate on the jack-stand and the mag drill is sitting on the plate that extends over the pipe.
I never would have thought of doing that.
And has a small level mounted to the far end of the pipe so as to be sure the new hole is bored indexed to the flange!

JLarson

Occupation
Yeah we two hole pin the flange then put a level on the mag drill sled and strap it down. I cut a 1 15/16" hole for 1 1/2" pipe so there is a tiny amount of play to tack and level up the taps.

JLarson

Occupation
The silicone strangler strikes again lol. Some people really love the RTV, I did a truck rear dif reseal and had to clean grey off everything, including out of where the seals go, I guess the process was fill seal bore with Ultra Grey then press the seal in lol

PXL_20211127_033435557.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
It's been a carnage/mangled sort of week already lol

Pulled the quick-tatch off a 332 deere, uh-oh someone installed some extra parts. It's gonna need the old boom pin boss cut and weld job since the female taper is completely gone on one side lol.

332 CTL.jpg

Funky looking hub lol explains the customer's complaint of not being able to keep oil in it.

GMC_Hub.jpg

GMC_Hub2.jpg

Wheeled skiddy chain case destruction, used to busted chains, not having to go fishing around for the whole rear sprocket lol.

NH_Sprocket.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
The plant we're wrapping up discovered some slight corrosion issues. I mean almost 40 years in wastewater for plain steel probably pretty good when you think about it.

PXL_20211208_000019974.jpg

Of course I had to say "yeah we can fix that" lol We put a rigging beam across the tank so we could drop the moving skimmer.
PXL_20220106_214834043.jpg

PXL_20220106_220858306.jpg

The guys hammered out the hydro cement around the pipe cut the 90 off then we took what was left of the bulkhead plate off the other side. We're going back with 1/2" stainless plate and stainless pipe. It was a small chore tracking down 1/2" 304SS plate right now.

The whole bottom of that steel 90 is soft, and it supports a few hundred pounds of moving basket.

PXL_20220107_232831524.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The raw water piping at the nuke for plant cooling was Carbon Steel, key word WAS. Converted to HDPE almost a decade back and not looked back. Was involved as a safety man tending recovery rope for guy crawling in and thru the piping before the project, was using a regular pocket knife and 'Cut' slivers out of the pipe wall at several locations up to an 1/8" deep it had become so contaminate softened.

JLarson

Occupation
Some CAT carnage, I think a piston is missing something lol. Notice the offending engine got flipped so I could get it all unjammed and get the torque converter off.
PXL_20220204_215803984.jpg

There's one completed 6" assembly for the treatment plant. It's always fun squaring up plate that's been plasmaed on multiple sides and in the center.
PXL_20220201_030711001.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
We've been swamped, seems like the last half of the year gets busier and busier, especially when we're doing larger projects.

The guys got the portapower out and dismantled the other decanter

PXL_20220303_180039841.jpg

I didn't feel like making another ladder climb, they got everything re-grouted with no shrink and wiped with hydro cement.
PXL_20220407_191728592.jpg
I did a 3070 trans/transfer case swap the local Allison dealer didn't want, ex mil truck. Would have to go on the hook too so we did it in the field. Military had a procedure to do it by crane/wrecker/forklift so we made the rigging plates and lowered it out. I need to see if we took pics of us sliding the reman back under with a pallet jack and lever hoist and lifting it back in.

PXL_20220314_005623318.jpg