• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fixing Stuff

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Yeah we run a ton of Milwaukee stuff, M12 and M18. Pays for its self quick since it makes us more efficient in the field.

I got one of these 9" saws a while back to complement our gas saw, super handy for all sorts of field fab work, rebar and of course demo. I'll cut 3" of concrete or pavement clean with the diamond blades too.

IMG_20200410_190754.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Started a storage tank and piping demo today. We're taking everything but the hydro tank out.

PXL_20210621_182235984.jpg
PXL_20210621_224054076.jpg
I've got a lil rental Deere 26G on this site I'm testing out (might be mini shopping lol). It has no issue tossing around 4x8 sheets as we plasma torch them out. We left it as just a floor tonight, a very rotten floor that I need to fold up and put on a trailer.

From a late afternoon service call, I just thought this was funny, when the parts guys swears everything will be identical lol. Not that it really mattered I just new that something was gonna be different.
PXL_20210620_021915179.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Dropped pistons from a 3208, things that make you go huh, we're gonna have a bit of work on this guy lol. Looked in the oil I dumped there was bearing flake like crazy.

forklift 3208 bearing.jpg

I grabbed one of these off the evil amazon for $50, 9" diamond cuts everything blade that fits on the Milwaukee saw. Awesome for all sorts of metal fab work ripping up expanded metal, rebar and demo, also doing PVC pipe work, cutting old hose out of the way. Way better then swapping 9" abrasives.

PXL_20210624_042143025.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Probably would be easier to get a reman in the end it's gonna be about the same price, especially once I put all the stuff on the front and transplant it.

Some customers are anti reman tho, rather have us overhaul.

colson04

Probably would be easier to get a reman in the end it's gonna be about the same price, especially once I put all the stuff on the front and transplant it.

Some customers are anti reman tho, rather have us overhaul.

My grandpa is anti-reman after getting a couple bad transmissions from a large, national reman center near us. The last time we lost a trans in a truck, he had a company outright rebuild it instead.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Remans that are from the manufacturer in my experience usually work out pretty well. I can’t say the same for any independent business selling reman products.
I would be surprised if Cat still is doing remans on 3200 series engines.

JLarson

Occupation
I've been busy wearing the boss hat on the treatment plant we started, we're doing the demo, piping/supports, also supporting my pump/compressor contractor and electrical contractor. I did get a chance to do a little welding myself though this week, welded pipe supports for a new effluent discharge we put in. The guy's work makes the existing stuff look pretty trashy lol.

PXL_20210630_225512068.jpg

I had to sneak away and mount up some new mudflap on a customers plant transplant rig, a converted LMTV, that was a first for me. Guess DOT had been giving them a hard time about the old crummy flaps, I beefed up the light pods with a new support and hung new brackets so they can use a off the shelf flap.

PXL_20210627_003113831.jpg

Also a little bit of destruction from today, dropped the pan on a little Allison auto to reseal it. My crystal ball of mechanical fuckery predicts that we'll see this trans again soon, possibly to haul it off as a core lol.
PXL_20210702_204730486.jpg
PXL_20210703_000654052.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
IDK, trans came out of a bus and got shop rebuilt by others then transplanted into this truck so who knows it's past. I washed all the metal out of the pan and it'll have new filters and fluid, it's getting a complete reseal job on the hotshift PTO too, new pilot hoses. Everything under there was leaking not just the pan lol.

JLarson

Occupation
Destruction after dark, overheated **** edition, remember kids just say no to stop leak, tap water and cheap antifreeze, And that's after I shoved the hose up its holes to get the nasty boiled green goo out lol.

PXL_20210707_044753857.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
Had an engine with some fuel issues yesterday afternoon, among other things it was a great example of why you shouldn't bypass or remove your primary filter/separator

PXL_20210710_050251082.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
See I also thought it might be a sham too lol

JLarson

Occupation
Started ug on our treatment plant rehab. Got a lil 35g now from the rental house to play lever monkey on lol.

PXL_20210717_003915346.jpg

I've got my EC rolling on running everything from our new MCC container. That shitty lean-to in the backt is attached to the plant building, it's taking everything I have not to introduce it to the 24" bucket lol.

PXL_20210716_235425845.jpg

JLarson

Occupation
I was throwing dirt and rolling out tape the last couple days, even yesterday in the rain a bit trying to backfill as anything I could so I don't have huge mud puddles lol. Notice we always use the foil backed bury tape.
PXL_20210721_185626663.jpg

The guys ran a new line from a ejector pit we're putting in to catch all the process drain water from like filter housings, instruments and an eyewash/shower and sink to the existing influent lift station.

Also getting started on all the equipment pad forms. Two new rotary blowers will sit on this pad along with their air valving.
PXL_20210722_213647381.jpg

Now I've got to go do a pan gasket and replace the cooling package on a dreaded 8.2 Detroit now that the rain has let up today lol

PXL_20210718_021654467.jpg