• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digital Cameras

dieselpower

2 years ago I bought a konica minolta dimage Z4, it has 12x optical zoom and 4.1 MPX.
Makes very good pics and movies.
It broke only once and the guy who made it (under waranty) said it was the first time he had a camera with that much dust and sand in it:D

I upload al my pics through my printer/scanner/memory card station/ microwave/ expensive thing becaus I am to lazy to go all the way down to the USB port of my PC to plug the cable in (its a full 1 meter you know, thats about 3 feet)

oh well, konicas camera devisison went down the drain a few months ago, don't know if sombody took it over:beatsme

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
:update.....bout time, huh. :cool:

Since the last time I posted, my company has gone through a merger. Now I know your saying "Whats this got to do with the damn camera" :rolleyes:. Well...since the companys merged, the employee discount program is up in the air right now.....so no computer for now. No computer means no fancy camera :( .

Then the TV decided to go on vacation.....permanently. Holy Snikies them new TVs are expensive. Then you gotta buy all them cables and junk for the HD and what have you. I spent $124 on a 16' HDMI cable.....and I don't even know what "HDMI" means :beatsme. Its a Monster Cable though so atleast I got a good one.....I think.

Then my Nextel decided to go on vacation.....permanently. BUT, heres where the story takes a turn for the better.

My new cell phone, a Motorola i580, has a camera on it. I've been playing around with it and I think I got the sizeing and resolution down now. I just can't figure out how to get the pictures on the computer :confused:. I know I probably need a cable or something but I don't know what kind.

It came with a removable memory card and the card came with a bigger card that serves as an adapter. I can't find anywhere to stick either card into the computer though.

Those digital cameras would present a problem with downloading pictures on the computer, here at work, but hopefully this camera phone is basic enough that it will not be an issue.

So, what do I need to make this work. When I get it going I will post some of those long awaited "Jaw-ja" pictures. :D

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You'll need a patch cord of some type. You can either get one that fits the phone, or get a card reader. Either will plug in to a USB port. The card reader will cost about $20, not sure about a cord for the phone.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
If it stores the pictures on the memory card, you will be better off finding a card reader for the computer. I'm pretty sure they make a USB one. A cable from the phone will also work, but will unnecessarily drain the phone's battery while uploading pictures, whereas the card reader doesn't even require that the phone be on. It will also be faster than a cable from the phone.

Here's a bunch of card readers, just find one that matches the format of your's.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
memory card readers

I went to walmart and looked in their electronics section. Some companies now have memory card readers that only cost 10 bucks or so, just put the card in the reader, insert the reader into a USB port and it treats it just like a flashdrive, or any other type of memory device. Tomorrow I'll get a couple of pics of it.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
If you get desperate and can't find the right cable you can email the picture from your phone to your email account...:bash

Countryboy

Occupation
Phew, I thought I was gonna hafta buy another one of them $124 cables. :D

I'm going to stop by Wally World when I get off this morning and pick one up. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow night. I'll start off with some of the equipment from out here at the quarry I guess. From there.....the sky is the limit. :cool:

Thanks fellers. :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Well Walmart wasn't much help so I ordered one from Office Depot. It will be here by next Wednesday. For some reason it was no tax and no shipping fees. :beatsme Just $10.89, delivered to my house....I ain't complaining. :D

This is the one I got: Micro SD Card Reader

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
That looks something like what I got, sorry about wal-mart not having one, but they are some nice to have.

Attachments

• card reader (1) (Small).JPG
    card reader (1) (Small).JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 142
  • card reader (2) (Small).JPG
    card reader (2) (Small).JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 138
  • card reader (Small).JPG
    card reader (Small).JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 140

Countryboy

Occupation
Thanks for the pictures 95zIV. That looks similar to how mine will work. :drinkup

So after I plug the card into the reader and plug the reader into the computer, what do I do or where do I go to pull up the pictures? Does something automatically pop up or or do I have to go looking for them? What program do they need to be viewed with or will it open in a default program?

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Mine loads and a screen pops up automatically when I put it in. If it doesn't just got to my computer or wherever you would go to get to your drives and it should just read it as another drive, just like using a flashdrive.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Most likely the computer will detect the accessory and ask you what program you'd like to use to view the pics. It doesn't really matter which one you choose. Then you make a file and transfer them to there. You'll have to resize them more than likely to post them.

Countryboy

Occupation
You'll have to resize them more than likely to post them.

I set all the pictures to be taken at 640x480 resolution. Will they still have to be resized? I had it set like that so as not to have to resize. :confused:

Or are those sizes for my phone and its different for the computer?

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
They should work fine, my phone does the same thing and the pictures are usually well under the size limit when set at 640x480. The size will carry over from the phone to the computer.

Countryboy

Occupation
Good deal. I see all the resizing troubles that are posted and I was trying to skip that step. :D

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
I wish we could vote on having that :soapbox 640 X 640 sizing deal removed, so normal pictures could be viewed. I know it's a real pain to move your index finger up & down on the wheel of the mouse to scroll down to see bigger pictures, but what the heck, it'll strengthen that finger eventually, and some good could actually come out of that. :idea :shf : :stirthepot