• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digital Cameras

Jeff D.

So whats the deal with the Nextel stuff. Does it really work anywhere or is it anywhere there is service?
This is what I've been told: Nextel has their own system, which isn't shared with the others, even with Sprint, it's parent company (as of yet).

This I know for sure: Their phones only work in their system, and the coverage is similiar too that of other providers. It's just that sometimes they'll have signal where others don't, and visa-versa.

Almost, if not all, of their phones have the walkie talkie capabilities. A select few of their phones have the ability to talk to other Nextel phones via walkie-talkie where there is no signal. It's direct from one phone too the other. It's range is very limited. I think they advertised something like 7miles, but my experience has been it's only good for 2-3miles.

The reason I stick with them is the walkie talkie. Mine is an unlimited plan, it works good, it's coast to coast, and many of the people I know have it.

Other than that, their just like any other cell phone company, IMO.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
:eek:ops, my bad Jeff. I was talking about the Nextel wireless modem thingy. I've been with Nextel for 7 years or more but never heard of the internet ability. :beatsme

That was an excellent review on the phones though. :thumbsup

Jeff D.

:eek:ops, my bad Jeff. I was talking about the Nextel wireless modem thingy. I've been with Nextel for 7 years or more but never heard of the internet ability. :beatsme
Oh that! I had it about 2 years ago. Previous to that I had the old AOL dial-up service, and their prices kept going up, so I told them too take a hike.

My idea was I'd use the Nextel service at home(since it was unlimited) and maybe I'd get a laptop so I'd have internet anywhere I went. I had to get the phone cord with a USB type plug on one end, and a CD program from Nextel, to control the phone. It did work, but they advertised a speed that was faster than dial-up, and it acted as slow or slower than dial up, for me atleast.

So I switched to using a dedicated DSL line and gave the "Nextel internet access" thing up, since it was about the same price.

If a guy spent alot of time on the road it would be alright. It does work anywhere the phone does, and it doesn't come off your minutes, so that's nice, but that feature alone wasn't enough to keep me using it.

I still have the cable and the program if decide you want to give it a try. I've no use for it anymore.

Countryboy

Occupation
My idea was I'd use the Nextel service at home(since it was unlimited) and maybe I'd get a laptop so I'd have internet anywhere I went. I had to get the phone cord with a USB type plug on one end, and a CD program from Nextel, to control the phone. It did work, but they advertised a speed that was faster than dial-up, and it acted as slow or slower than dial up, for me atleast.

If a guy spent alot of time on the road it would be alright. It does work anywhere the phone does, and it doesn't come off your minutes, so that's nice, but that feature alone wasn't enough to keep me using it.

I still have the cable and the program if decide you want to give it a try. I've no use for it anymore.

Hmmm....I think I'll check with Nextel on it tomorrow. Seems you have to have a computer though for it to work correctly :D so that my first priority. But if the service is decent then it would be nice to be able to use the internet on the go. :cool:

I'm thinking since I'm on the Fire Department it would be helpful to be able to have unlimited information at my fingertips when I need it. Seems I might need to be looking at a laptop instead of a desktop.

The slow uploading wouldn't really bother me since I've never actually used DSL. But if its slower than dial up then that could be a problem. I'll check into it and see if it will work for me. Thanks for the offer on the cables and program. I'll keep that in mind if I do decide to go that route. :thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
Thanks for the link.

I just talked to the sales dept and they have a free 30 day trial where I can see if I like it. A friend of mine has a laptop so I will let him take the trial and see how it works down here.

Thanks again. :drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nextel service contract - $55.70 per month unlimited

Motorola phone with direct connect - $199.99

Getting to finish an important phone call with your banker about your next project you are so eagerly waiting to get WITHOUT having to call him back 3 times while you are in the middle of a downtown that has a population of 400K people because NEXTEL can't seem to keep a steady signal - PRICELESS

Nextel customer for 10 years - that walkie talkie thingy is more addictive than crack. Phone absolutely sucks for lack of a better term. I use a Verizon broadband card and it is awsome although pricey - $50 per month unlimited. They quality is as good and as fast as land line DSL. That's how I can improve my efficiency in the field by keeping up with HEF.:usa

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Please explain further

Verizon wireless has a broadband card for "on the go" internet service and I think Sprint has one too. It is a wireless modem that fits into your PCMCIA slot on a laptop. The speed is as fast as DSL in the service area. Here in Birmingham, Al it's pretty much every where I work. It's darn cool. Plug it up to your laptop, log on and you can download email and surf the web running 70MPH down the highway - of course if someone else is driving!:D

This website can probably explain it better than I can.

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bbapccard.html

Later
CM

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Verizon wireless has a broadband card for "on the go" internet service and I think Sprint has one too. It is a wireless modem that fits into your PCMCIA slot on a laptop. The speed is as fast as DSL in the service area. Here in Birmingham, Al it's pretty much every where I work. It's darn cool. Plug it up to your laptop, log on and you can download email and surf the web running 70MPH down the highway - of course if someone else is driving!:D

This website can probably explain it better than I can.

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bbapccard.html

Later
CM

Thanks CM...Now I know what you are talking about....I have the wireless modem built in to my laptop. Coverage is pretty limited here in the Wild West.:rolleyes:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks CM...Now I know what you are talking about....I have the wireless modem built in to my laptop. Coverage is pretty limited here in the Wild West.:rolleyes:

No problem!:thumbsup

Countryboy

Occupation
Well, where are them pics?:beatsme

:update
Pictures, is that what you do with the camera? :confused: :D

I had checked with them last Friday and that model had been put on back order from Olympus till an unknown date........or so I was told. It appears that a couple days after I ordered it, it was put on backorder. :beatsme

So, I am currently checking out other models but am kinda inclined to wait for that one. You won't see pictures though until I get a computer that I can actually upload them too. :cool:

Countryboy

Occupation
Ok, thats it...times up...where's the bloody camera???:rolleyes: :D ..I hope you got another camera too...so you can take pics of the first camera;)

:confused:

Camera.....what camera.......:confused:

Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be.:rolleyes: Get a mirror...

Mirror, smirror.........you just stick the camera in the scanner and upload the pic. :pointhead

I really haven't had much time to do anything much less take care of my wish list. We had a couple guys from my area quit within the last couple weeks and I've been having to make up by working extra hours and double shifts. After all, it is Easter and looks whos working.

We're sposed to be getting some more guys but until then I barely have time to sleep. Best Buy did call at the biginning of last week saying they got some in, I just haven't had time to get up there. Still working on it, I'm just having to prioritize my time. :(

wrenchbender

Seeing as how Countryboy is so busy and can't do it him self I thought I would post a pic of his camera. Maybe this will help explain the troubles he's having .....could posibly be an operator problem. Could some of you computer folks help him out? Also I think the last pic he tried was of Squizzy because you can still see some of the glare around the camera.

Attachments

• CB's camera.jpg
    CB's camera.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 164

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Seeing as how Countryboy is so busy and can't do it him self I thought I would post a pic of his camera. Maybe this will help explain the troubles he's having .....could posibly be an operator problem. Could some of you computer folks help him out? Also I think the last pic he tried was of Squizzy because you can still see some of the glare around the camera.

:lmao :lmao You know all this new technology can be a bit overwhelming.:D