• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digital Cameras

Jeff D.

I get a 30% discount through Dell from a Corporate Discount. I just call them and they send me a card to use at a store of my choice. Thats on top of any sales I can find at the time. Maybe I can talk them nice folks at Best Buy into a camera / computer deal.

Countryboy, I just got back online now, after my barely 1 year old Dell crapped it's hard drive out yesterday.:bash :Banghead

I'm not impressed AT ALL

Of course I didn't back up any of my pictures downloaded from the camera or anything else, so "bye-bye too all you pictures!!":waving :mad:

Bought a cheap-o "E-machine" with Vista instead of spending the $250 to repair the Dell.

So, anyway I'm not impressed with Dell's.

Or, maybe Squizzy put a hex on my computer for dis'n them Australian women in that other thread.:bouncegri

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Thats to bad, by then all the good pictures will already have been taken! :Banghead

:laugh Man you're a trip......

Countryboy, I just got back online now, after my barely 1 year old Dell crapped it's hard drive out yesterday.:bash :Banghead

I'm not impressed AT ALL

Of course I didn't back up any of my pictures downloaded from the camera or anything else, so "bye-bye too all you pictures!!":waving :mad:

Bought a cheap-o "E-machine" with Vista instead of spending the $250 to repair the Dell.

So, anyway I'm not impressed with Dell's.

Or, maybe Squizzy put a hex on my computer for dis'n them Australian women in that other thread.:bouncegri

I really hate to hear you had an expierence like that as I'm a big Dell fan. Granted, I will be getting some things for free that most people don't get cause they cost money. My opinion is based on the fact that my company buys nothing but Dell, hence the discount.

Your advise is not thrown to the wind though, but duely noted. One of the major reasons for my choice is the free 3 year 24hr hotline for any problem that may arise. That means if you call, you speak to a real person AND get the problem fixed. You can also log in to a website of theirs and actually have them link to your computer via the internet. This allows them to be able to fix the problem instead of me, while I'm watching.

For me it comes down to dealer support, which I will be getting plenty of. If not for the discount, I would probably be looking elsewhere. :thumbsup

And you definately gotta watch Squizzy with them Aussie Bush Hex's. :bouncegri

Last edited:

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I wouldn't be too put off. The hard drive could go in any computer, since they are all 3rd party stuff. Unless something else went bad, a new $60-80 HD would fix it in about 10 minutes to install and an hour and a half to reinstall Windows.

Jeff D.

Countryboy, I'm going to check into this more. Maybe Dell will fix it for free.:beatsme I didn't even talk with them. I figured it was out of warrenty, so.................maybe the hard drives still covered though.

If they will repair it free, it'll be my back-up computer then.

Cat420, I'm not computer sauvy at all. It may be repairable easily enough by someone "in the know", but I wouldn't know where to start. I do know how to turn it on!:eek:

I was just told it was the hard drive, and it would be approx $250 to repair.

I thought for another $150, going new would be smarter.

I'll let you guys know what they say.

Cat420

Occupation
Hard drives are easy. After you take the side cover off, you'll see one of these. Four screws and two wires are all that hold it in. After it's out, look at the label to see if you need ATA or SATA. The new one can be any size you can afford and gets put back in the same place. Then just turn the computer on and put in the Dell/Windows disks that came with your computer and it will walk you through the reinstall process. A search on Google will turn up many pages with pictures and everything to guide you too. You can have a back up for $50, rather than the $250 you were quoted. If you decide to mess with it, feel free to PM for any help. I can take pictures of our computer to give you a better idea of what to do.

Countryboy

Occupation
Countryboy, I'm going to check into this more. Maybe Dell will fix it for free.:beatsme I didn't even talk with them. I figured it was out of warrenty, so.................maybe the hard drives still covered though.

If they will repair it free, it'll be my back-up computer then.

Cat420, I'm not computer sauvy at all. It may be repairable easily enough by someone "in the know", but I wouldn't know where to start. I do know how to turn it on!:eek:

I was just told it was the hard drive, and it would be approx $250 to repair.

I thought for another $150, going new would be smarter.

I'll let you guys know what they say.

I would definately check into it Jeff. Theres aways a chance they will say "yes" even if the warranty is out.

I'm not the most saavy person on computers but I do know my way around them. Having said that, I would spend the extra for a new computer if the old one had enough of those annoying issues.

Cat420 brought up a good point about the cost of hard drives as you can get a high end generic hard drive for just a little over $100. The extra cost comes in when you don't know how to replace it so you have to pay someone to do it. Some of them guys take advantage of your lack of knowledge. Its like sending a woman (just a point, not a putdown) to an auto mechanic just to find out the guy put on 3 parts she didn't need.

As with equipment, dealer support with computers can make or break the expierence you get from them.

On a side note if the hard drive crashes, you can always keep the monitor, printer, etc and just replace the CPU. This would cancel out alot of compatability issues as well as alot of the headaches with reinstalling programs. Correct me if I'm wrong Jeff but I think you probably took this route, or did you just buy all new stuff?

On Edit: I would take Cat420's offer Jeff as somebody to help walk you through the process will be highly beneficial.

Last edited:

Jeff D.

On a side note if the hard drive crashes, you can always keep the monitor, printer, etc and just replace the CPU. This would cancel out alot of compatability issues as well as alot of the headaches with reinstalling programs. Correct me if I'm wrong Jeff but I think you probably took this route, or did you just buy all new stuff?
You're right, I just bought the tower w/keyboard and mouse included. Kept using the old monitor, printer, etc.
Countryboy said:
I would take Cat420's offer Jeff as somebody to help walk you through the process will be highly beneficial.
I'm gonna, he'll be sorry he offered by the time I'm done!!:D

I just tried Dell now, their customer support has already gone home. I didn't try their technical support cuz I don't know if it's warrenty issue yet.

Cat420, I'll PM you with the particulars. And thanks for the offer too!!:thumbsup

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Buy a computer at Best Buy and get the extended warranty for it. The last 2 laptops I've owned were both purchased at Best Buy. First Toshiba I had I loved, but the parts that were in it were produced on a Monday or Friday. Blew a HD after 3 months and a disk drive after 3 weeks. Both replaced under factory warranty without hassle. After those incidents, the computer worked trouble free for 8 months until my roommate decided my laptop was thirsty and dumped an entire Coke all over the keyboard. I bought an HP Pavillion, fairly well spec'd for about $1500 with a 3 year exteneded warranty from Best Buy to replace my Toshiba. It's a year old with zero problems, HP computers have come a long way. I wouldn't buy their desktops because I think there are better machines, but HP's laptops are pretty darn good these days. Stick with Pentium processors, I've never been a fan of AMD. Regardless of what anyone says, Pentium processors, whether the cheaper ones or not, are all good.

Cat420

Occupation
I always have to deal with really dumb computer questions at home. I'm happy to be answering different questions for a change:) .

The extended warranties are a very good idea if you plan on keeping a computer for a while. A lot of people upgrade so often that the companies can save money by building lower quality stuff and just paying out warranty claims, since many people will upgrade before something goes wrong.

Jeff D.

I'll have too change my opinion of Dell now, and take back my "badmouthing" of them.

My hard drive was not bad, as I was told. With both Microsoft and Dell's support I was able too get my computer fixed. I was given step by step instruction's that ultimately ended up allowing my computer to access the internet, and that allow it too be diagnosed and have the fixes downloaded into it.:notworthy

It was free too.

So, ultimately Countryboy was right, support should be a big factor in buying desicions.:yup

Thanks also to Cat420 and Mr. Squizzy for their help.:thumbsup

So...............back too the camera discussion's.:eek:

Countryboy

Occupation
I'm glad to hear it Jeff. So whatcha gonna do now that ya got......2 computers :cool2. You ain't gonna get all nerdy on us are ya? :D

Soooo......I stopped by Circuit City yesterday and got to hold one of them waterproof cameras. I was amazed at what I've been missing out on compared to them disposables :rolleyes: .

Circuit City had some i stock but I'm still gonna give my business to Best Buy as the guy at CC wasn't too helpful. I actually think I knew more about that thing than he did :confused: .

Jeff D.

So whatcha gonna do now that ya got......2 computers :cool2.
I was going too try and hook them together like a "network" (why?:beatsme ), but then talked to my sister yesterday and found out she needed a better computer so I'm giving it too her.
Countryboy said:
You ain't gonna get all nerdy on us are ya? :D
Too late!:cool2

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Glad to hear you have the thingy sorted Mr D....and goodonya for helping the sis out. F4...only Dell would make it the F4 button:rolleyes: :bash

You can still hang crap on Dell but that online...onphone support is a good thing.

What you need now is a good ruggedized laptop for the truck with Wireless so you can HEF all day:cool:

Jeff D.

Glad to hear you have the thingy sorted Mr D....and goodonya for helping the sis out. F4...only Dell would make it the F4 button:rolleyes: :bash
Did I say "F4", er.....I should've said "F8" while restarting, sorry!!:eek: incase someone else here has a Dell
Squizzy246B said:
What you need now is a good ruggedized laptop for the truck with Wireless so you can HEF all day:cool:
Nextel has an option that allows you too use your phone as a wireless modem. With a subscription to their service and the special cable for the computer to phone connection you can have the internet anywhere.

I tried it though, and it was Sloooooooooooow!! Anything with pictures takes forever to upload.

I don't need HEF that bad..................................yet!! :rolleyes:

Jeff D.

4....3.....2.....1.....SLAM {door}....Ok folks Jeff's just stepped out to the computer shop for a few minutes
:D
:bouncegri You're probobly right.

This last time my computer went down, and I was wrongly told what it would be too fix, I thought :idea "Ya know, why do I even need a computer? I lived most my life without one just fine! Screw them computers!!:soapbox "

I even figured I'd save nearly $80 month on average by not having a computer, considering what I've spend on actual computers themselves, internet access, virus and firewall subscriptions, blah-blah-blah.

But it didn't take too long before I started to realize how much I used it too pay bills, do my banking, alot of shopping, entertainment(here), and I quickly found myself at Bestbuy buying another.:eek:

I sometimes use to blow $80/night in the bar, back when I drank, so................this is where I justify it to myself.................this is much cheaper;)

Countryboy

Occupation
Did I say "F4", er.....I should've said "F8" while restarting, sorry!!:eek: incase someone else here has a Dell

Your one up on me cause I don't know what either of them buttons do. :beatsme :D

I don't need HEF that bad ..................................yet!! :rolleyes:

Now your fibbing cause you got your little light off for the same reason I do....... to hide the addiction. :bouncegri

Jeff D.

Your one up on me cause I don't know what either of them buttons do. :beatsme :D
I'm not entirely sure what it does either, but by doing that while it's starting up, and with doing a few other things, it allows a person too go around the normal operating system..........er something.:beatsme
Countyboy said:
Now your fibbing cause you got your little light off for the same reason I do....... to hide the addiction. :bouncegri
No, that may be why your light's out, but I'm doing it to conserve electricity. If everybody in the US did the exact same thing we'de save enough electricity per year too power 10 ray-o-vac battery powered flashlights for atleast 3 1/2 minutes.:cool2

And isn't that what it's all about? Saving the world's resources for the next generation!:rolleyes:

Countryboy

Occupation
No, that may be why your light's out, but I'm doing it to conserve electricity. If everybody in the US did the exact same thing we'de save enough electricity per year too power 10 ray-o-vac battery powered flashlights for atleast 3 1/2 minutes.:cool2

And isn't that what it's all about? Saving the world's resources for the next generation!:rolleyes:

I was actually looking for a yellow bulb for mine. The green one seems to attract more bugs. :idea

Nextel has an option that allows you too use your phone as a wireless modem. With a subscription to their service and the special cable for the computer to phone connection you can have the internet anywhere.

I tried it though, and it was Sloooooooooooow!! Anything with pictures takes forever to upload.

So whats the deal with the Nextel stuff. Does it really work anywhere or is it anywhere there is service? Is it on the same network as the cell phones or a different one?

Sounds kinda interesting....:thumbsup