• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Digital Cameras

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Well its about time for me to purchase one of them fancy digital cameras that I know nothing about. There's all kinds of cool stuff here in Georgia that I have no way of posting so I'm gonna buy me a camera to take some pictures. And no, I'm not buying a scanner because the money for a scanner can be easily spent on a camera and will save several steps of the picture uploading process.

Things I want on the camera:

Decent zoom funtion
Easy to operate
Compatible with most computers
Medium size
Fairly durable
Quality pictures
Around $200, will spend more if I like it

Things I don't want:

Alot of knob and buttons
Fancy features that never get used
Something that will self destruct if you press the wrong button

I just need something simple, to take some shots with. This will benefit yall so please advise accordingly.
Dealer Support is always a plus too. :D

Thanks in advance fellers. :thumbsup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
You want "Optical" zoom with it, digital zoom is not so crash hot but its on most cameras anyway. There is about a guzillion cameras out there. I have had a really bad run with Canon consumer digital cameras after owning top if the range Canon 35mm SLR's most of my life. The Canon warranty aint worth the paper its printed on. I'm currently using a Fuji and it seems good. Olypmus is pretty good but hard to get around the menu system on the new ones. Konica Minolta is worth looking at.

The best place to learn more about the cameras out there is the camera review magazines and websites.

Try ZDnet: http://review.zdnet.com/Digital_cameras/4566-6501_16-0.html?tag=ont-cam

or just put the make and model number followed by the word "review" into google....like this "Canon Powershot A80 Review"

Almost any digital camera will come with a little software program to help download your pics to the PC...Windows XP also has a camera wizard which (once loaded with the camera driver) can be a lot easy than all the screwy programs the camera manu'f give you.

Don't get caught up in the Megapixel race...for the average Joe pics here on HEF anything over 3 Mp is a waste of time and you have to reduce the size of the image to post it anyway. My Fuji is 5.1 Mp and thats heaps for printing out A4 sized family photos. Again there is heaps more advice and stuff both online and in the camera mags.

These things can play up on you once in awhile and I think buying from a big dealer that has a good returns policy is the way to go.

$200 US should be more than enough....for the first one I go cheaper, say $100 and keep it as the "work" camera. Mine bounces around in the truck most days and doesn't get the best of care. If the bug bites and you learn a bit more you can get a better camera. Get a good soft pouch with it and the bigger the memory card the better to a point. 1 Gb is heaps, I run a 512 Mb abd a 256 Mb for back up. They generally only give you 1 crappy 32 Mb card with the camera which is useless.

A word of warning on those memory cards...just watch sony and some others...they tend to use the most obscure and expensive cards on some models.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a sony cyber-shot smart zoom DSC-P8 and I have not destroyed it yet which says someting about the camera. I think it is 3 or 4 years old and takes great pictures. Squizzy's right get a bigger memory stick than the standard one.

I do like the idea of a 2" LED screen weather proof model. I might need to stop by Best Buy and see what they have.

Later:drinkup

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'm with Squizzy, Canon consumer stuff isn't so good and the warranty sucks. Nikon has some really nice point and shoots, but they are a little more expensive. I recommend Fuji, they seem to be great cameras for the price.

Countryboy

Occupation
Ok, So i've got Fuji, Olympus and Sony as good contenders and stay away from Canon. Get optical zoom and upgrade the memory stick. This is good info, exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it coming. :thumbsup

The weather proof Olympus is sounding real nice. Would you mind offering up a close figure of what you paid for it PSDF350?

I don't mind looking at reviews as they have good info on the basics but they could be biased as you don't know who wrote them. You guys have them and know what you like, don't like, what works and doesn't work. Those are the reviews I'm looking for.

tylermckee

I've always been a fan of Nikon. I was looking into the Nikon coolpix s1 and the Fuji FinePix V10, both of them are on the smaller side and from what i have read they seem decent. Dont forget to spend some more money on an extra battery and a bigger memory card or two

http://www.steves-digicams.com seems to be a pretty good place for reviews

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I've been a big Nikon fan from way back. I have a CoolPix digital now and have been very happy with it. Uses CF cards (cheap for the amount of memory) and is very easy to use. Goes from point and click to lots of creative control easily with nice intuitive menus. Controls are "where they should be", not sure how else to describe that.

Countryboy

Occupation
If Nikon cameras are anything like their rifle scopes then I'll have to take a look at them. I just hope they aren't anything like the prices cause they ain't cheap. I'm an expert deer hunter :D so I don't mind spending the money on something high quality like that but I don't plan on being an expert picture taker.

I know what you mean Orchard. Some controls just feel right the first time you pick it up while others you never can remember where "that button" is. It would be nice to have one of those so we shall take a look at that model also. Would this CoolPix be under or over the $200 mark?

tylermckee

Coolpix is just a name, there are lots of different model numbers under the coolpix name, some under and some over.

Countryboy

Occupation
Coolpix is just a name, there are lots of different model numbers under the coolpix name, some under and some over.

Is the Fuji FinePix the same way too? Have you bought either one of those you spoke of above or are you looking too?

tylermckee

Is the Fuji FinePix the same way too? Have you bought either one of those you spoke of above or are you looking too?

Yes fuji finepix is the same way. I had a nikon coolpix 880 a while back, when it was a new camera and i loved it. It had nice point and shoot options and when i wanted to it had a great manual mode. I have owned a cannon and a kodak since and i didnt really like either at all.

Here are a couple pics i took with it years ago. The camera is ancient now by todays standards.

Attachments

• orange on bench.jpg
    orange on bench.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 502
  • sunset.jpg
    sunset.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 504

Countryboy

Occupation
Yes fuji finepix is the same way. I had a nikon coolpix 880 a while back, when it was a new camera and i loved it. It had nice point and shoot options and when i wanted to it had a great manual mode. I have owned a cannon and a kodak since and i didnt really like either at all.

Here are a couple pics i took with it years ago. The camera is ancient now by todays standards.

Now thats the quality resolution I was talking about. I will definately have to check those out. The list is getting longer but thats a good thing, it means more choices. :yup

Lashlander

I've went into Best Buy three times with the intent on buying a digital camera. Everytime I get to looking at them and blow a fuse. Way to many choices. I've been using the wifes Olympus Camedia. I like it cuz it fits in my shirt pocket. I think it cost around $225.00. The flash card was another $75.00.

Countryboy

Occupation
I've went into Best Buy three times with the intent on buying a digital camera. Everytime I get to looking at them and blow a fuse. Way to many choices. I've been using the wifes Olympus Camedia. I like it cuz it fits in my shirt pocket. I think it cost around $225.00. The flash card was another $75.00.

And I think thats why I haven't gotten one yet. I've never actually gone looking but the few times I have glanced over at that section it just seemed overwhelming. I want to be able to go in there, say I want that one and leave. Those guys at Best Buy are full of great info but they already know what you "need" before you walk in the door. So another "check" for Olympus.

Does yours happen to be the weather proof one Lash?

dayexco

i have a canon sd400 with a gig chip. absolutely wonderful camera, smaller than a pack of smokes. mine is a 5.1 megapixel...i think the one that replaced the model i have is close to 7 now. look at em, if you're going to use it for sitework, the small and lightweight part is very nice. most of the pics on my photobucket site were taken with that camera

PSDF350

I think I paid around 200+ Used to carry it with me all the time in side pocket carhatt pants. Wound up not being able to close without perswaysion. Then wouldn't open. Sent it in for warrenty work got back new camera with updates. Take great pics. I upgraded memory card when bought it. If I am taking pics for here I can take over 2000 before need for differant mem card. Or like 200 at highest resolution. Battery last forever. Made a mistake and bought 2 extra batteries not cheap and never need them.

Countryboy

Occupation
I think I paid around 200+ Used to carry it with me all the time in side pocket carhatt pants. Wound up not being able to close without perswaysion. Then wouldn't open. Sent it in for warrenty work got back new camera with updates. Take great pics. I upgraded memory card when bought it. If I am taking pics for here I can take over 2000 before need for differant mem card. Or like 200 at highest resolution. Battery last forever. Made a mistake and bought 2 extra batteries not cheap and never need them.

Great review. I really like the all weather part. And the price is good too. Its gonna be at the top of the list.

It'll be Saturday before I can get to Best Buy so hopefully I'll have it narrowed down by then. I'm gonna hafta leave the Ol' Lady at the house cause she'll want one. :D

Thanks alot guys, keep um coming. :drinkup

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
After you get to Best Buy to get a feel for the different models, check out www.newegg.com. I've had nothing, but good experiences with them. On most things they beat the pants off Best Buy for price, you just don't get to hold the stuff in your hands buying online., but as long as it's the same model as Best Buy it would be fine.

Lashlander

And I think thats why I haven't gotten one yet. I've never actually gone looking but the few times I have glanced over at that section it just seemed overwhelming. I want to be able to go in there, say I want that one and leave. Those guys at Best Buy are full of great info but they already know what you "need" before you walk in the door. So another "check" for Olympus.

Does yours happen to be the weather proof one Lash?

No, the wifes camera is not weather proof. I'm interested in that. I'll have to check it out. Her camera also has a pretty good appetite for AA batteries. We have an Olympus camera at work that has a good zoom on it and takes nice pics but is kinda big. These pics were taken with it in the same spot. Everytime I think I have it sorted out I find a new one to ogle over.:beatsme

Last edited: