• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

Landclearer

CM, no problem. I feel pretty certain we won't be taking any work in Alabama so you are right, not going to be in competition.:D

Nedly, thanks for the compliments on the trucks and equipment. We try! I have always enjoyed clearing and grinding and with the Peterson I enjoy it even more.

The little Pete has a 300 Paccar motor with a 10 speed. 12000 fronts and 21000 rears with 4:56 ratio. The body is an Alfab with a barn door and is all Hardox.

As for snakes, we have them but you do not see as many as you would think. We have rattlers, copperheads and water moccasins plus a bunch of harmless ones.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Funny side story about snakes.

Last week we were prep'ing some sloped paved headwalls to pour and had an extra piece of re-mesh left over. I went to throw it out of the way so one of the machines wouldn't "find" it. Tossed it next to the woods and then heard all sorts of commotion, the very end of the sheet pinned a 3' green snake, I never saw it.:eek:

I was going to catch him and bring him home but he wasn't having any of that. Lifted the sheet and he took off into the underbrush. Other than that I haven't ran across one in a while.

nedly05

Ive always liked those little petes, theyre just so danged expensive :) Im sort of surprised you southern boys dont see more snakes..CM, why would you want to bring him home...?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Im sort of surprised you southern boys dont see more snakes..CM, why would you want to bring him home...?

I really don't come across too many, they are reclusive and try to get far away from any human interaction.

The reason I wanted to bring this one home is to let loose in the back yard. There is a creek behind our fence and a 1/4 acre of woods between us and the subdivision behind, a nice habitat. A green snake is good to have around, non-posoinous and eats rodents, insects, etc. Good for the yard and the garden if they stick around.:)

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
Landclearer- I'm in South Florida, granted a quite a few mile away from you. But I was wondering, what are you guys charging per acre on small sites say 1-2 acres to clear?

i am in homestead and do allot of work from palm beach down to the keys and for lets say an acre depending on the conditions it can be any where from a 1000 to 8k+ for a single acre there is allot of variables to consider.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
the only good one is a dead one in multiple pieces

nedly05

I really don't come across too many, they are reclusive and try to get far away from any human interaction.

The reason I wanted to bring this one home is to let loose in the back yard. There is a creek behind our fence and a 1/4 acre of woods between us and the subdivision behind, a nice habitat. A green snake is good to have around, non-posoinous and eats rodents, insects, etc. Good for the yard and the garden if they stick around.:)

I figured it might be for rodent control! So once you start running equipment and disurbing the area, theoretically they move away? My cousin ran equipment in Maryland and I remember as a kid hearing him tell stories about having to get the snakes off the equipment in the morning. Sometimes they would tape the sprayer open on a can of ether and throw it in to the operators station and then remove the snake to go to work. I guess it was probably during colder weather and they were taking advantage of the heat from the machine.

Hitachi225

How are you liking the peterson so far? Do you have many hours on it? I can only imagine that the palms, and the amount of sand you have there would make the wood very abrasive for the teeth. Are you running hard faced hammer style teeth or a chipper style tooth?

Landclearer

Hitachi225, the Peterson is great. It is a great machine that has been very well engineered. I love the tracks, so much easier to pull the machine up than to push down the chip pile. We run the carbide teeth in a stagger pattern with every other one being a sharp. If you don't hit any steel I can get 200 plus hours before we flip. The Peterson teeth seem to standup way better than the Morbark did.

As for snakes, not a big fan of them. I don't see a lot but I will leave black snakes alone but pretty much will get rid of any poisonous ones I see.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
As for snakes, not a big fan of them. I don't see a lot but I will leave black snakes alone but pretty much will get rid of any poisonous ones I see.

Same here, if it has fangs with poison it's dead. Black snakes, green snakes, chicken/rat snakes are ok, I let them be.

Landclearer

A few pictures of a bank parking lot we graded after the 4th. I think it turned out pretty good. They did a good job on the paving as well. We used crushed concrete which I love.

July 14 061.jpg

July 14 062.jpg

July 14 063.jpg

July 14 064.jpg

July 14 066.jpg

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Good looking base work! Is that an SVL75 or 90 I see in the background?

Fastdirt

I'd be very proud of that work. Looking good. Don't tell me that's your motor grader too. Love the Deere dozer too, they are a pleasure to operate.

Landclearer

Allday, thanks! We have always tried to do a real nice grading job, that way when they pave they have nothing to complain about and can't charge for overruns. I think a good grading job makes it a lot easier to do a good paving job also.

Landclearer

Fastdirt, thanks for compliment, we try! Yes that is our grader. Doesn't get a lot of hours put on it. That parking lot was a bit small for it but we used it on some of it. I like the Deere dozers. Like you said, it is a pleasure to operate an is very comfortable. I wouldn't mind a cab and ac:D.

Landclearer

Here are some pics of 3 different jobs I worked on this week. The first is a firehouse demo. They built the new building and the parking lot goes where the old one was. Got the building down and hauled off then the rain set it. I was also filling the foundation on the house lot in a few of the older pics on this post. Same problem, the rain came and now waiting for it to dry up as well. Finally found a job we could work on Fri and Sat. We are clearing another lot, same deal with the foundation so that should be going on in a month or so.

july 30 001.jpg

july 30 003.jpg

july 30 006.jpg

july 30 005.jpg

july 30 015.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Did you salvage anything from the fire house? Those two garage doors are awesome.