• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

Landclearer

We love the Peterson. We had been running Morbarks for years but tried one on a demo and fell in love. I think it is built and designed well. There are a few minor things I would change like anybody that runs a grinder but those are little things. I think the feed system is what makes the machine so productive.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Nice pictures, and I'll comment again on the appearance of your equipment. It's immaculate. Hats off to the team, it's clear they take pride in their work.

Landclearer

Nice pictures, and I'll comment again on the appearance of your equipment. It's immaculate. Hats off to the team, it's clear they take pride in their work.
I appreciate the compliment. We try take pride in our equipment as well as our work. A guy I know once said that a scratch is one inch away from a dent he was right.

Chris

Landclearer

Hey CD, some are nicer than others but nothing like your scenery! I will trade the mountains for our "lowcountry" anytime.

jesse_anderson8

What measurements do you have to take when doing a demo? I live here in North Carolina, so, we do not get to see a lot of the demolition, just a bunch of logging. I assume that you need permits, maybe multiple. Just trying to learn a little about what you do and the hoops you have to jump through.

Landclearer

What measurements do you have to take when doing a demo? I live here in North Carolina, so, we do not get to see a lot of the demolition, just a bunch of logging. I assume that you need permits, maybe multiple. Just trying to learn a little about what you do and the hoops you have to jump through.
Jesse, the only measurements we do is to find the sq footage, that helps in figuring the tonnage when bidding. As for permits, in SC it is not bad. You only need to get a demolition permit which I think is $25 and that is it. On commercial buildings you have to prove that the lead and asbestos have been abated but not on residential stuff.

Chris

jesse_anderson8

Jesse, the only measurements we do is to find the sq footage, that helps in figuring the tonnage when bidding. As for permits, in SC it is not bad. You only need to get a demolition permit which I think is $25 and that is it. On commercial buildings you have to prove that the lead and asbestos have been abated but not on residential stuff.

Chris
That does not sound terrible, but, I'm would say that it can often be a headache with the asbestos and lead. I have ran a 320 some, but, mostly run a 318 on a regular basis. Have you found much that the 320 is incapable of doing? We are doing a clearing job in Augusta, GA at the moment and I use the 318 all day to stack brush and load the trucks. Great machine, yet sometimes I wish it had a little more HP.

Landclearer

Jesse, most of the residential demo that we do, we use either the 320 or our 315. I like the 315 because most of the sites we work on are real tight and they won't let us take any trees down. The 320 helps with the height on some of the jobs. I am doing a clearing job now and I have our 963 and 300 Volvo. To be honest I am glad to have the 300 because of the size of the trees.

Landclearer

Here are a few pics of a pip[e job we did about 4 or 5 years ago. We were laying 54 inch RCP and used the 332C we had at the time.

DSCN2586.jpg

DSCN2587.jpg

DSCN2588.jpg

DSCN2589.jpg

DSCN2592.jpg

Landclearer

Going to add a few pics of the concrete part of the demolition we did. This is the same job as the first pics. These were toward the end of the job, we did the concrete demo last.

KI Inn Demo 087.jpg

KI Inn Demo 088.jpg

KI Inn Demo 090.jpg

KI Inn Demo 097.jpg

KI Inn Demo 310.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice work. Did you plug your lifting holes on the RCP with popits?

Is that your concrete pulverizer or a rental? I would like to have one but don't do enough heavy concrete demolition to justify one.

Landclearer

Hey CM,

We very rarely get RCP with holes in it but on that job, they actually gave us little concrete plugs to go in them. As for the pulverizer, it is ours, we got it with the 320D. It is a bit heavy for the machine but does a great job.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I imagine it's a bit heavy with the hyd. thumb. Had a 321CLCR with a prog. link thumb and QC - it was a bit heavy with the 48" bucket extended.

Like the way you took that 2 story concrete structure down - let gravity do some of the breaking, less work crunching.:D

How did you go about it? Did you weaken the far side of the building's walls or columns? Can't tell exactly how it was constructed. Having knowledge of how a building is constructed is invaluable when it comes time to demolish it.

Don't know if you have used them before but if you lay anymore RCP with lift holes, tell them to send you a box of popits, quick and cheap.
http://www.popitplug.com/index.htm

Sawdus22

Good looking work. Seems like you guys got a hand in a little bit of everything. You got any pictures of the work trucks? Don't be afraid to keep sharing!

Last edited:

Landclearer

Hey CM, yes with the thumb and coupler it is a bit awkward but once you get used to the way it feels it is not bad. The section we pushed over was block walls with concrete floors. We did weaken the far side and pushed like hell. A lot tougher than you would have thought. We did that one section like that and were not happy with the outcome. The floors were like a stack of concrete pancakes and made it hard to pulverize and separate the rebar.

I sure do like the Popits! Way better than the concrete plugs. I think that is the last job we did with holes in the RCP but if we do more I will definitely ask for them.

Sawdus, yes we do lots of stuff. Some things are better than others but it does help to keep us busy. When you say work trucks, do mean dump trucks and lowboys or pickups?