• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar serial number/ year model

mudhole

thanks!!!! i had a d7e 1969, worst decision ever , i sold it about 6 years ago so i was looking around, is the 1959 a good machine?

Old Magnet

The 8U/9U series D6 was one of the best Cats ever built. Trouble is finding one that isn't beat to death or just flat worn out. Most pieces still available.

mudhole

thanks for the help!!!, i am going to look at one this weekend, it looks a little wore out from the pictures, but the price is around 5k, and has been on the farm for over 25 years...might take a chance. anything in particular to check out on this model?

Old Magnet

They didn't have many weaknesses. Pony motors are vulnerable, check wear on the bottom of the final drive housings, I've seen them worn clear through. Worn out undercarriage is pretty typical of a farm machine but that's no fault of the tractor. Late units have oil clutch which is a plus and the late units have provision for mounting direct electric start. Transmission cases have been known to crack when units are run in rough conditions without belly pan protection.

TPL

Could you please decode CAT0908HPMXF00268 ? what is the build date? Does PIN number contains the date of manufacturing? Thanks

Nige

Could you please decode CAT0908HPMXF00268 ? what is the build date? Does PIN number contains the date of manufacturing? Thanks
Cat 908H, Serial Number MXF00268 (last 8 characters of PIN). The PIN does not contain the date of manufacture but the S/N is all you should need to obtain parts & service information for it.
Manufacture Date was 22/01/2008.

Old Magnet

You've had an engine change.
46A1-3043 225 hp
46A3044-12884 235 hp
46A12885-up 270 hp
Just to be sure I checked the parts book. Air cleaner change at 46A12885

John C.

46A15882 = 1967

High horsepower machines generally have the hydraulics mounted to the right side of the operator. Low horsepower machines generally have the hydraulics mounted under the radiator and the pumps driven from the front of the engine crankshaft. You can probably find a high horse engine swapped into a low horse machine but you will also find they will have heating problems as there was barely enough radiator to keep the low horse engines cool in eighty degree weather.