• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar serial number/ year model

Greg in KY

I cannot find a serial number guide for Caterpillar.
Any suggestions?
I want to know what the year model is of a D6D serial # 4X2592.

Greg in KY

Thanks, Nige

I cannot find it online anywhere. Looks like all Cat serial number stuff is on pay sites. Looks like I need to put a 0 in front of it.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Not sure how it is stamped on the plate fixed to your machine, but to enter into Cat's systems the Serial Number should be a total of 8 digits. The first 3 are the prefix - 04X in your case, and the next 5 are the machine Serial Number. If there are only 4 digits then put a zero before the first one. So your complete Serial Number as per today's standard is 04X02592.

Greg in KY

Thanks Nige

The plate has no zero before the "4" nor the "2".

Why doesn't Caterpillar give this info away like everybody else?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Back in the mists of time, about the time JC was a carpenter and the world was a sunnier, happier place - things were different. There weren't as many models for a start and it was usually unecessary to go to the extent of a 5-figure Serial Number, up to 9999 machines of a given model was fine. But at that time no-one had figured they were going to turn out on-highway truck engines by the tens of thousands. The same thing applied to the prefix, but then after years of 2U, 4X, etc, all of a sardine they ran out of prefixes and had to add a 3rd digit to them. Now we have things like B9H, RJG, 2BW, & SPD as prefixes and they haven't even got warmed up yet...

About the same time off-highway machinery was included into the International System of Vehicle Identification Numbers or VIN, so now we have a 17-digit plate just like you'd see on your car, although in Cat's case it's called a P(roduct)IN plate. This happened in 2001. For those of us who know we can still pick our way through the crap and at least reduce that to an 8-digit Serial Number ..............

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You can call any Cat dealer parts counter and get the year info.

Heavey Metal

Rather useless info but here it is

D6D TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR
Machine Serial Number - 04X02592 (Build Date - 09/02/1978)

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi,
build date 07/05/2008 ( Australian date stamp day ,month, year)
test date 19/05/2008
industrial engine 328 kw at 2100rpm ,2010 nm of torque at 1400 rpm
Mark

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi,
industrial engine, build date 09/05/2013 test date 14/05/2013
328 kW @ 2100rpm
2010 Nm of torque at 1400rpm
Mark

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Back in the mists of time, about the time JC was a carpenter and the world was a sunnier, happier place - things were different. There weren't as many models for a start and it was usually unecessary to go to the extent of a 5-figure Serial Number, up to 9999 machines of a given model was fine. But at that time no-one had figured they were going to turn out on-highway truck engines by the tens of thousands. The same thing applied to the prefix, but then after years of 2U, 4X, etc, all of a sardine they ran out of prefixes and had to add a 3rd digit to them. Now we have things like B9H, RJG, 2BW, & SPD as prefixes and they haven't even got warmed up yet...

About the same time off-highway machinery was included into the International System of Vehicle Identification Numbers or VIN, so now we have a 17-digit plate just like you'd see on your car, although in Cat's case it's called a P(roduct)IN plate. This happened in 2001. For those of us who know we can still pick our way through the crap and at least reduce that to an 8-digit Serial Number ..............

When and why did CAT officially introduce truck engines? JC was a carpenter?

geoffrey

Caterpillar serial numbers

Hi,

Im also facing a similar predicament. I have a CAT D6D Dozer Engine 3306. It has the following numbers which amongst these I am not sure which is a serial number/Engine number since the descriptions are not visible
1. 20X 1449 Could this be the SN and hence supposed to read 20X 01449?
2. 49V 15827 There is something like A... Could this be the Arrangement number or the Engine Serial Number rather?
3. Transmission is 7G4244E
3. Which year was it built?

The other machine is a CAT TLB, Model: 438
There are three numbers:
1. 3DJ 01290
2. U423274U
3. J90 8986
Does not show clearly which amongst these numbers are Engine/SN/Chassis, etc
I have been cracking my head through the internet but I haven't managed

Thanks so much for your help
Geoffrey

Mark250