• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar serial number/ year model

Lee Carr

Thank you both. The tracks are in really good shape. There is some rust on the body, but nothing major. I know this was running 16 years ago, but it has been sitting for the last 16 years. If it runs again, any idea what it might be worth? Or where I can go to find out? Or who might even want it?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Thank you both. The tracks are in really good shape. There is some rust on the body, but nothing major. I know this was running 16 years ago, but it has been sitting for the last 16 years. If it runs again, any idea what it might be worth? Or where I can go to find out? Or who might even want it?

You got great advice from Nige about the ACMOC site. We have members up in your neck of the woods and you may be able to get some help evaluating and starting it. If not stuck they normally start with a little prep work. If the steering clutches and or brakes are froze up they can be a bear at times. Yours is a late 7U. Does it have the forward reverser, and oil master clutch. You can tell if it is a oil clutch by the dipstick in the platform floorboards. Wish you were closer, they are fun machines. The machines do not command a ton of money, no one uses them for commercial work, not for years now, but it could be a desirable collector machine. Don't scrap it. See you at the ACMOC site.

Skwerl

Just for curiosity, is there a way to look up antiques? We have an old grader 4A1754 that we still use from time to time.

Skwerl

No, this is out of the '20s an old pull type

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1561309302064.jpg
    FB_IMG_1561309302064.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 20

Skwerl

What make and model? A lot of the antique stuff can be looked up here;

https://www.acmoc.org

It's a great place for all the old stuff.
It's a Cat the serial #plate just says grader there's a patent list plate which has a list of patents from 1918 my grandad bought it , and I've always just wondered about it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If you go to the ACMOC site you can look at the posts without a log in. Look for any post from criscokid. At the signature on the bottom of every one of every one of his posts he has a link to his antique grader registry. It has tons of pictures and build dates of most of the old Caterpillar and Russel pull graders and antique power Cat graders as well.

Fat Dan

Try this .......... http://www.ironrecord.com/index.php

1978 according to the book.
You still have the book? I have been looking for one of them but so far all I find is myself coming back to here so I'll ask.
I'm looking for the years of three D4 955 track loaders 12A3563 w/D315, 12A4040, w/ D315 and 12A8263 w/ 1.5 yd. hard rock side dump bucket and D315, D318 or D330 not sure.
on one pony engine head casting date was U UO AC (1-18-57) was sold as a 1958 witch sounds about right. Don't know the year of 12A4040 but the 12A8263 I was told is a 1961. I would like to confirm my assumptions.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I do still have the book, but unfortunately it's about 5000 miles away from my current location and I'm not planning to be back there for about 3 months or so. I assume that you need answers before that.......
A few others also have it, let's hope one of them sees your thread.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My book lists your machines and 955C models. 12A3563 is is model year 1957, 12A4040 is a 1958 model year and 12A8263 is a 955E model built in 1960. I don't have access to Cat information so can't give anything on the engines.

Fat Dan

Nige replied:
I do still have the book, but unfortunately it's about 5000 miles away from my current location and I'm not planning to be back there for about 3 months or so. I assume that you need answers before that.......
A few others also have it, let's hope one of them sees your thread.

Well I went over to see if I could get one (12A4040) of the old girls to move but she was frozen into the ground tighter than Dick's hatband. We tried to heat up one corner with a space heater and hitting it with a new 22 ton Hyd jack and a splitting mull but she ain't moving until spring. It has been subzero temperatures for about a month now and the ice is as hard as steel. When water freezes it expands 4.5% and there is nothing in this universe that can stop that expiation - except of course Spring time. No I'm in any rush to get the info, I can go off the casting dates for now that will at least keep me within at least a half a decade. :D

Fat Dan

O' I see your response now
John C.
thanks a lot that's what I was thinking. The guy I got the -3563 (57) and -8263 (60) had got them from his uncle which I later found (from notes in manuals) also owned -4040 (58) as well and when he sold it off he must have gotten the years mixed up.
I can see this can get out of hand quickly if'n ya don't keep good notes and thousands of tagged parts on these three Traxcavators. A lesson I have noted, marked, enumerated, categorized, classified and filed - O' God, I hope that's enough.:rolleyes:

Piston

Would you be able to tell me the year of SN: 27Y01673? CAT D3B Dozer? I'm looking for a good source for a pdf owners or service manual as well. Are the ones from ebay worthwhile? Thank you.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It's a 1983 model year. Someone should be along soon to tell you about internet sources of manuals.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The Cat Publication reference for the correct Service Manual for 27Y01673 is SENR7911. That will help you search the auction sites and other online marketplaces.
Another thing you need to know is price. A new paper version sells for $550, the same thing on CD for $300. Online sellers know this and are therefore proud of what they are selling even though it is used. The critical question to ask any online seller - "Is the manual you are selling manual complete.?" If they don't know or evade the question then personally I would walk away.

Something like the one in this link is obviously not a genuine one. Is it any good or not..? I'm sorry I have no idea but I would be suspicious when I read the disclaimer at the bottom of the photo that shows the manual.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-CATERP...R-CRAWLER-BOOK-REPAIR-SHOP-3204-/132521907131