• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar serial number/ year model

ylywansui

Well as the poster is listed as being in Algeria I'm not sure how good of a "local" Cat dealer he might have. Plus I figure if he does have access to SIS it would be to his advantage to learn some of the easy things that are available to him in that program.

Plus if he is anything like me I would rather know how to find the information on my own. Same as looking up part numbers, if someone is going to make a mistake I would want it to be me and not get caught in the finger pointing blame game.
thanks for all you guys support, we had some guy here have access to SIS, and need to ask a favour from him to let us check them out, so personaly i dont have access to it, tomorrow will ask him to let me use it and find the list out, appreciated for all your help.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Oops, that didn't come out right when I read it again. My comment was to the original poster who didn't answer my question. kshansen provided a perfect response.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Oops, that didn't come out right when I read it again. My comment was to the original poster who didn't answer my question. kshansen provided a perfect response.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No problem, that is one of the good things about "quoting" the message that you are replying to, saves most misunderstandings.

And to add to that it is always a good idea to start a new "thread" when asking a question in place of what I call piggy backing on another person's question, even if it is of a similar nature. Again cuts down on the confusion.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
thanks for all you guys support, we had some guy here have access to SIS, and need to ask a favour from him to let us check them out, so personaly i dont have access to it, tomorrow will ask him to let me use it and find the list out, appreciated for all your help.
Glad we can be of some help!

While you are here why not start a new thread with some information on the project you are working on, we always like to hear about projects in other areas of the world.

John C.

Occupation
It only goes back to a 36A in the D8 line. My serial number book on goes back to SN 1694 and it appears they were 13A up till 1955. I'd have to guess yours is 1956 or 1957.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
can some one give me some insight, I am trying to figure out what year my D8 is Serial # 14a970.

Your machine was built in 1955 according to the book 'Track Type Machines, 1925 to 1960'. In 1955 the serial numbers run from 14A 1 to 14A 2529, the first year of production for the 14As. The book is available for about $20.00 from the ACMOC store on the Antique Caterpillars Machinery Owners Club home page. It covers all the Cats Crawlers starting from when Best and Holt merged to form Cat in 1925 to thru 1960.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
It only goes back to a 36A in the D8 line. My serial number book on goes back to SN 1694 and it appears they were 13A up till 1955. I'd have to guess yours is 1956 or 1957.
In 1955 there was both 13A and 14A D8s built. 13A serial numbers ended with 13A 3703.

Lee Carr

I just bought a piece of property that has an old Catepillar D4 tack dozer sitting on it. The plate on the left side has the following on it: 7U42192. I would love to know more about it. The Iron Record website boggled my brain.

John C.

Occupation
My serial number guide shows it as being a 1958 model. My book shows the 7U models being made from 1948 up until 1960 when they went to a D4C.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
My serial number guide shows it as being a 1958 model. My book shows the 7U models being made from 1948 up until 1960 when they went to a D4C.

You are correct in that 7U42192 would have been built in early 1958. The 7U series started in 1947 with 1947 units being built in Peoria that year. The 7U stopped during the 1959 year. The D4C series started in 1959 with 409 units built in the Aurora plant in both narrow and wide gauge. Scotland and Australia started producing D4Cs in 1960 and France in 1961.